TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Sales Tax on an out of state Lease into Texas

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by ginstwin, Mar 24, 2017.

1. ginstwin

ginstwin Member

I am thinking of taking over the lease of a used Model S from out of state.

Does anyone know how the sales tax on the remaining lease (2 years) is calculated in Texas.

Thanks

2. Kcharwood

Kcharwood Member

I'm interested in hearing the answer to this too

3. ginstwin

ginstwin Member

I have had some got input on a Tesla Facebook group. Basically sales tax would be due on the remaining payments PLUS tax on the residual. If I bought the vehicle at maturity of the lease there isnt a double taxation on the residual amount.

So basically the same as if I would lease a car in Texas. Tax is due on the value of the car at the time of purchase.