Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all!
For a while ive been wanting to get into the EV game, but never really could come up with the money for a new one, i started looking into used ones. i found a salvage 2019 model 3 long range for just the right price. My main concern is i understand any and all warranty is automatically
voided, as well as the vin being permabanned. My question is, how is the reliability on the model 3? As of August 8 2022, any salvage model 3s out there that can supercharge ATM? Are there other alternstives to fast charging ? and how is thr policy outlook on salvage model 3s currently?

The rebuilt title was dude to rear end accident, no frame or battery pack damage. Car has FSD driving and drove extremely well. im in love.

Any info is very much appreciated! thank you all.

Are there other alternstives to fast charging ?
CHAdeMO with adapter. Adapter is rare and expensive these days, although some EVgo stations have the adapter built-in to allow for Tesla charging. CHAdeMO charging in the US probably only goes up to about 50kW.

CCS1 with adapter (which is not yet officially being offered in the US by Tesla), but that also requires replacing some stuff to enable CCS1 capability in the car (some newer Model 3 have that already, but 2019 is too old to have come with that). CCS1 charging in the US varies in charging speed from a maximum of 24kW to 350kW, depending on the station.

No idea if being a salvage car would prevent either of the above.

Upvote 0
CHAdeMO with adapter. Adapter is rare and expensive these days, although some EVgo stations have the adapter built-in to allow for Tesla charging. CHAdeMO charging in the US probably only goes up to about 50kW.

CCS1 with adapter (which is not yet officially being offered in the US by Tesla), but that also requires replacing some stuff to enable CCS1 capability in the car (some newer Model 3 have that already, but 2019 is too old to have come with that). CCS1 charging in the US varies in charging speed from a maximum of 24kW to 350kW, depending on the station.

No idea if being a salvage car would prevent either of the above.
I believe that having Supercharging disabled by Tesla also disables CCS1 charging. Not sure if they disable CHAdeMO as well.

Edit: here is a post that could have more info Tesla to have salvage title supercharging reinstatement process by the end of the year, no s or x.

Upvote 0
OP there are some threads you may find of interest on the topic of salvage vehicles, like the following:

• Helpful
Reactions: Lindenwood
Upvote 0
I believe that having Supercharging disabled by Tesla also disables CCS1 charging. Not sure if they disable CHAdeMO as well.

Edit: here is a post that could have more info Tesla to have salvage title supercharging reinstatement process by the end of the year, no s or x.
On model S and X, supercharging and CCS charging are on same flag, but on model 3 and Y they have separate flags. Tesla disables only supercharging, but 3rd party DC-DC fast charging continues to work.

Reactions: DuncanM
Upvote 0
On model S and X, supercharging and CCS charging are on same flag, but on model 3 and Y they have separate flags. Tesla disables only supercharging, but 3rd party DC-DC fast charging continues to work.
I'm curious to know if this is 100% verified info or if anyone has tested the CCS1 retrofit on an S or X with a rebuilt title to see if it works. I'm told they will do the inspection to reenable supercharging on the Model X, but they have no timeline for when it would actually be enabled.

Upvote 0