Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvaged M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was told that only about 10-20% of rebuilt / branded title M3s lose supercharging, Ive been looking at a rebuilt one and was wondering if this was true and if its possible to lose updates or FSD. Thanks for the help

sorry mods if i put this in the wrong channel new here

So I was told that only about 10-20% of rebuilt / branded title M3s lose supercharging, Ive been looking at a rebuilt one and was wondering if this was true and if its possible to lose updates or FSD. Thanks for the help

That's interesting. I'm salvage M3 and sc was cut few weeks ago. Have a source for your info?

Salvage buying is fine so long as you know what the damage was that turned off the insurance company, who fixed it, how, and have some crashworthiness, materials, and repair knowledge.

FSD and all options should stay with the car... there's a long discussion with us "experts" on that in another thread...

Reactions: cwerdna

(moderator note: I moved your other post because it was entitled "anyone know about this car dealer?" where the car dealer was based in Utah, so I moved it to the section for Utah. If you want the post to stay here, you will want to keep the focus on "salvage model 3s" and not "this dealer in Utah who sells model 3s, anyone know what their policies are?")

Really? So this is just another case of... buying a Tesla with a private party that purchased EAP/FSD and eventually removing it... or not if they are not caught?

The reason Tesla disables supercharging on salvaged vehicles is because they have not inspected and certified the repairs so they can not be sure that the car is safe to charge, and therefore they do no want the car using their supercharger network and possibly catching on fire and damaging other Tesla vehicles or supercharger property while charging.

The reason Tesla disables supercharging on salvaged vehicles is because they have not inspected and certified the repairs so they can not be sure that the car is safe to charge, and therefore they do no want the car using their supercharger network and possibly catching on fire and damaging other Tesla vehicles or supercharger property while charging.

So that the same discussion doesnt spring up in this thread as happens in pretty much every other "salvage tesla" thread...

==============================
Owners of these salvage teslas dispute the road worthiness / danger of this issue, and dont believe in it (if they did, they likely would not be ok with driving around in the vehicles).

They also have a "lot of passion" around teslas right (or their perceived lack of right) to disable both supercharging, and other fast DC charging.

More discussion around this can be found in Model 3 Rebuilt Title - Supercharging Removal
=============================

Hopefully, posting the above, along with a link to the most recent thread that has that "passionate" discussion will prevent same from happening in this thread. If discussion in this thread heads that way, I will likely simply merge this thread into that one.

Reactions: brkaus
(moderator note: I moved your other post because it was entitled "anyone know about this car dealer?" where the car dealer was based in Utah, so I moved it to the section for Utah. If you want the post to stay here, you will want to keep the focus on "salvage model 3s" and not "this dealer in Utah who sells model 3s, anyone know what their policies are?")
Ok thank you :)

Really? So this is just another case of... buying a Tesla with a private party that purchased EAP/FSD and eventually removing it... or not if they are not caught?
I don’t believe there is a universal database that lists all salvage cars - state laws are different, etc. So they stumble on the data randomly.

On the EAP/FSD stuff, they just stumble on themselves.

So what's the story on the 10 to 20 percent? "So I was told" isn't helpful.

That probably comes from "the dealer" that the OP was looking at purchasing a salvage tesla from... or in other words, from a used car salesperson, with all that entails :cool:.

The post I moved to the Utah section is below, where OP says "in one of their videos, it says..."

Anyone ever purchase from this dealer?

I don’t believe there is a universal database that lists all salvage cars - state laws are different, etc. So they stumble on the data randomly.

And obviously they aren't only looking for branded titles. (As an example: the Model 3 that has a clean title that had Supercharging turned off, and warranty coverage terminated, when Tesla found out that insurance had declared it a total loss.) So I am sure that Tesla probably gets a data feed from the insurance databases as well as the title status from all of the states.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
i have a 2020 model 3 awd lr in my app it lists all warranties as expired. event the battery so I have to assume tesla knows it is salvaged. however I am able to still use the supercharger. any insite on how thats possible? i just purchased it

i have a 2020 model 3 awd lr in my app it lists all warranties as expired. event the battery so I have to assume tesla knows it is salvaged. however I am able to still use the supercharger. any insite on how thats possible? i just purchased it
I really doubt they care about paid supercharging. I would bet it’s more about getting the unlimited free supercharging cars off the service.

Reactions: lit af
You'll be able to SC until you can't - 1 to 6 months is my guess. You'll know you have it if under "Navigation" you see "Trip Planner". When "Trip Planner" is gone that's when Tesla snuck into your car and disabled your SC ability. You can get it back by passing 2 safety inspections.

You'll be able to SC until you can't - 1 to 6 months is my guess. You'll know you have it if under "Navigation" you see "Trip Planner". When "Trip Planner" is gone that's when Tesla snuck into your car and disabled your SC ability. You can get it back by passing 2 safety inspections.
it only worked the one time lmao then they blocked my charging. im talking to my local sc but they are telling me 3k to recertify but i see most on the forums are paying closer to 1k