Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Salvage Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am a dealer in NY. I specialize in salvage rebuilding and am an EV proponent. I have just joined this group and have now purchased 2 model s cars. a 2016 85 and a 2023 plaid that was sold by tesla corporate at a salvage auction but with a clean title. I am not sure why exactly. I have a full service and collision center but not registered with Tesla as a repair center but did get registered as a parts distributer. i bought a spindle for the Plaid from Tesla and then was able to move the car ownership to our Tesla app today. now they are saying the care is unsupported and wont sell my service department any parts. I would love any information on used dealer purchase and sale process, salvage recertification for super charging, will FSD work, etc. Any info on these topics will be gratefully accepted as I'm head first down the Tesla rabbit hole. Thanks

I am a dealer in NY. I specialize in salvage rebuilding and am an EV proponent. I have just joined this group and have now purchased 2 model s cars. a 2016 85 and a 2023 plaid that was sold by tesla corporate at a salvage auction but with a clean title. I am not sure why exactly. I have a full service and collision center but not registered with Tesla as a repair center but did get registered as a parts distributer. i bought a spindle for the Plaid from Tesla and then was able to move the car ownership to our Tesla app today. now they are saying the care is unsupported and wont sell my service department any parts. I would love any information on used dealer purchase and sale process, salvage recertification for super charging, will FSD work, etc. Any info on these topics will be gratefully accepted as I'm head first down the Tesla rabbit hole. Thanks

Clean means clean and the car should not carry the Tesla salvage restrictions such as no Fast DC charging.

Once Tesla disable a car's Fast DC Charging, the only way to get it back is to prove that the car is clean, never salvage ever.

If FSD was paid, it should work with subsequent owners until someone gives it up in exchange for an incentive.

Free Supercharging should be lost in a non-private sale.

Upvote 0
If either car had FSD, it might be included, but unlikely. Normally when a car goes through Tesla (i.e. trade-in, etc.) they strip FSD from the car, and it allows them to sell it for a bit less. Once you have the Tesla app, you can see if buying FSD is an option. At least now it's quite a bit cheaper. I'd put it off until your other issues are resolved.

On the 2016 S, around April they made FSD an option. It was not an option before that, depending on when the car was manufactured. If it has 8 cameras, then FSD is an option. If not, FSD is never going to be available.

As for care (i.e. warranty) did they say the cars came or specifically didn't include a warranty? The 2023 Plaid would normally be under warranty unless it has high mileage. The way they were sold makes me think neither has a warranty.

I don't know about dealer parts access, as I've bought parts over the counter, but only as an owner. Hopefully, others can chime in.

Upvote 0
Clean means clean and the car should not carry the Tesla salvage restrictions such as no Fast DC charging.

Once Tesla disable a car's Fast DC Charging, the only way to get it back is to prove that the car is clean, never salvage ever.

If FSD was paid, it should work with subsequent owners until someone gives it up in exchange for an incentive.

Free Supercharging should be lost in a non-private sale.
I would disagree on a couple of these from what I've heard but they are a bit gray areas it seems.

I would expect Tesla likely strips any free supercharging if they re-owned the car at all or thought it was ever salvage.
But if supercharging was turned off that they also offer a certification (maybe $800?) where they examine the car and turn on supercharging again(but not free).

It seems likely Tesla would strip FSD as well if free supercharging was removed.

Upvote 0
I would disagree on a couple of these from what I've heard but they are a bit gray areas it seems.

I would expect Tesla likely strips any free supercharging if they re-owned the car at all or thought it was ever salvage.
But if supercharging was turned off that they also offer a certification (maybe $800?) where they examine the car and turn on supercharging again(but not free).

It seems likely Tesla would strip FSD as well if free supercharging was removed.

Salvage Inspection was on for 1 week in 2021 then off and maybe now on again. Hard to tell if Tesla doesn't educate the public

Upvote 0
If the car is in ur app u can order parts thru app as normal, i do it all the time for my salvage cars

See this awesome thread about how u can get screwed over with clean title :)

Upvote 0