Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

San Francisco to Palm Springs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok so new owner of a p85+. i am going to drive it down to palm springs after new years. can i make it from tejon ranch to palm springs? its about 180 miles but with the grapevine and maybe being a little cold out just a little worried. putting a high power charger in my house today. pretty happy with car.

ok so new owner of a p85+. i am going to drive it down to palm springs after new years. can i make it from tejon ranch to palm springs? its about 180 miles but with the grapevine and maybe being a little cold out just a little worried. putting a high power charger in my house today. pretty happy with car.

I would reconsider. When I was going up the grapevine, my wh/m went beyond 900 by a wide margin. My calculations would be somewhere in the 1100-1200 up the vine, which costed me 35%-40% in rated range. With a full charge at 265, maybe...any less would be a risk of running down to 0

Shouldn't be a problem if you manage your speed in the 55-65 range. I'm planning on doing the trip at the end of this month so will post my statistics. There have been people reporting on the grapevine usage and I believe the down pays for a lot of the up.

A friend of mine has homes in Silicon Valley and Indian Wells (Palm Springs area). He regularly travels between the two locations. He has done some calculations and seems to get almost 90% energy recapture. He reported this to me in early October after making the trip in his P85:

"...Tejon Ranch at the base of the Grapevine and then up over the Grapevine to Indian Wells for a total of 209.8 miles. We charged to a rated 262 miles at Tejon Ranch...The long last leg over the Grapevine was traveled with the cruise control set to 65mph and the average consumption was only 266Wh/m. We arrived in the garage with 61 rated miles left."

I made the same trip but in the opposite direction from his house a little over a week ago. We fought strong headwinds and had the cruise control set to 68 mph. We left Indian Wells with about 250 rated miles, and arrived at Tejon Ranch with about 15 rated miles left. I'm sure we had the cabine heat set to 68 degrees, but I don't recall the temperature that day.

But I sure learned a lesson about wind!

Ok now I'm nervous. I can't go 65. Think I will find a charge point somewhere after the grapevine and just charge for like 30 minutes to be safe. My house is in palm dessert so it will be close.if you can report back and let me know that would be great. I need to learn how to read the energy screen to see how I am doing.
thanks

My daughter drove the first section from Tejon to San Bernadino at 70 to 75. I drove the last section to Rancho Mirage but never really had to slow down.
I set the Nav so I could always compare the distance remaining to the range remaining. This gave me the level of comfort knowing I was always on target.

I'm heading to Palm Springs for Christmas from Santa Rosa. I'm going the long way by going down 101 hitting the charger at either Gilroy or Atascadero. Spending a night at Pismo, Charging again in LA then over to Palm Springs. The 5 is so ugly I avoid it.

There are quite a few on the PlugShare site.
I've used Desert Springs JW Marriot (2 stations) and Esmeralda Hotel in Indian Wells ( 3 stations) if you can wait for 30 amps.
The Tesla HPWC at Indiana Wells Resort Hotel should be the fastest at 80 Amps ( I didn't hook up to check )