Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Santa Fe to Gallup, ABRP says charge to 100 at ABQ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m currently in Santa Fe and headed to Flagstaff next in my M3 LR AWD. I was planning out the route in ABRP and it has me charging to 100% at the ABQ SC to arrive in Gallup with 19%, is that accurate? It’s only 145 miles between chargers, and while I understand there’s an elevation change of a couple thousand feet, that still seems like extremely high consumption. I’d rather avoid charging to 100% in ABQ if possible since charging gets so slow above 90.

After playing around some more, I think I must've had some settings incorrect in ABRP that was causing it to overestimate consumption, I reset it and now it's presenting a more reasonable route that doesn't involve charging to 100% at ABQ.

I will follow what the in-car nav tells me to do, it has been dead accurate from St. Louis all the way to Santa Fe, with me often arriving within 2-4% of what it said I would at the start while going 5-10 over the speed limit.

Reactions: RichAZ/CapeCod
I will follow what the in-car nav tells me to do, it has been dead accurate from St. Louis all the way to Santa Fe, with me often arriving within 2-4% of what it said I would at the start while going 5-10 over the speed limit.
Its estimations are generally very good, but I would keep an eye on its choices in selecting Superchargers for you. I have been burned where it prioritized fewest charging stops. So it was telling me to charge to 100% and arrive with a very low single digit % in order to skip over a Supercharger. So if you see a really high recommended charging or really low arrival %, cancel the route and look at the map to see where the Superchargers are to catch if it's doing something funny.

Reactions: Johnny Vector
Its estimations are generally very good, but I would keep an eye on its choices in selecting Superchargers for you. I have been burned where it prioritized fewest charging stops. So it was telling me to charge to 100% and arrive with a very low single digit % in order to skip over a Supercharger. So if you see a really high recommended charging or really low arrival %, cancel the route and look at the map to see where the Superchargers are to catch if it's doing something funny.
Oh yeah, that’s been my big annoyance with the nav, it’s focusing on fewer, longer stops, whereas ABRP’s focus is on more frequent, shorter stops, which actually may be quicker since you’re charging from like 20-50 each time. I’ve been navigating SC to SC rather than letting it plan routes from my origin all the way to my destination.

Plus, it allows me to stretch my legs and take a piss every couple hours.

Oh yeah, that’s been my big annoyance with the nav, it’s focusing on fewer, longer stops, whereas ABRP’s focus is on more frequent, shorter stops, which actually may be quicker since you’re charging from like 20-50 each time. I’ve been navigating SC to SC rather than letting it plan routes from my origin all the way to my destination.

Plus, it allows me to stretch my legs and take a piss every couple hours.
Would be nice if there were 2 or 3 different settings to choose from in the Nav. Like "fastest possible trip," "fewest charging stops," etc. But one thing it can't really do is know what you prefer in terms of amenities. I've noticed it tries to avoid crowded superchargers (makes sense) and then it prioritizes higher power superchargers (v3>v2>urban), which sort of makes sense. But sometimes it will put you at a supercharger like Gallup for a 50 minute charge and anyone who has been there knows you don't want to hang out in that hotel parking lot with nothing in walking distance for an hour.

WRT the OP, it sounds like you figured it out yourself, but you didn't say what car you're driving so it's tough for anyone to advise without that info. An S60 would have a tough time making the ABQ to Gallup drive under any conditions, but I'm guessing you're driving a Tesla with a bigger battery. I recently drove Santa Fe to Gallup starting with 275 rated miles and I skipped ABQ because the Nav was reporting it as full or near full. I ended up arriving in Gallup with 28 rated miles remaining but that was only after going the speed limit and drafting semis for about 100 miles. It would have been tight had I not drafted and maintained the speed limit or higher. In addition to the elevation gain, you have to look out for the headwind which is very common along that stretch in that direction. The Nav knows about the elevation gain, but doesn't know about the weather conditions.