Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sat Nav location frozen - few other bugs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model X

Car is on 2023.20.7

The last software update was a week (and about 200 miles of driving) before the problem started

1. The satnav location has not updated for 3 days. It is stuck at one location. I have driven over 100 miles since this problem began and the pointer has not moved. Trafffic on the map does update.
2. The car running lights/headlamps stay on all the time in daylight hours even when set to auto. I have to turn them off manually during the day.
3. The display stays at 100% bright even at night. It is also set to auto
4. No driving visualisations or speed limits shown. No cruise control of course.
5. There is a fan in the passenger footwell that seems to come on and off at different speeds at all times. Even when the climate control is turned off and bizarrely, even when the car has been completely powered off (using the power off button on the screen)

1. I have tried to restart the MCU using the 2 scroll wheel button reset - twice - to no avail.
2. I have powered off the car (from the screen) waited 5 minutes and restarted by pressing the brake pedal - to no avail.
3. Read about a way to reset by changing the wheel size and type - tried that - but whenever I try to change it , it just reverts to the original size/wheel. And does not reboot when I press confirm, like it is supposed to.

I've been in touch with Tesla support - they said to send an email with the description of the problem and a screenshot of the screen (how that helps I hve no idea - I told them it looks like a normal screen just the map locaton doesn't update) - god knows when I'll hear back.

Any suggestions for something to try?

Thanks

Hey @mvrlogins, I'm going through this exact same situation right now with my 2017 Model S 😢, and it's a very rough road, unfortunately...

In short, your Autopilot 3.0/FSD computer is in Fallback mode and is dead.

@Nikon201068 and a few of us here are going through the same problem.

All the features you listed as not working, plus a few others, are controlled by the Autopilot ECU located above your glove box, (those are the fans you hear, even with the vehicle powered off/down).

Long story:

It seems to be, from reading this and this and some other few post here on TMC and some others on Facebook groups, that a very early batch of Autopilot 3.0/FSD ECU's are going bad regardless of the firmware version of the vehicle.

Apparently it's a heat management issue.
From what I can tell, the heatsink and both fans are unable to cool down the ECU and it eventually overheats and fails.

My issue started in March of 2023 when one night I went to the theater with my wife and parked my 2017 Model S with Sentry Mode on. A few hours later, we came back to the car and I could hear the Autopilot ECU fans blasting at full speed on and off, on and off.

My Model S had all the symptoms you listed @mvrlogins, plus no side repeater cameras, (just the backup camera, because this camera is managed by the MCU and not the Autopilot computer) and no Automatic Wipers.

I took my vehicle to my local Service Center and they said the Autopilot computer was dead and needed to be replaced. But since I had it installed alongside the Infotainment Upgrade back in October 2019, it was way out of warranty and the new Autopilot ECU would be $1,000 USD (plus labor cost) to have it installed and new security certificates redeployed to the new unit. Seeing no other way around it, I took my wallet out and inhaled the full Musk stench.

Three months later, on June 2023, the "new" Autopilot ECU also failed with the exact same symptoms. Took it back to my local Tesla Service Center, where they implied I was at fault for the first and second ECU unit failure because my MCU2 is rooted and I changed some of the firmware and gateway parameters and that has been literally frying the Autopilot ECU units in my car. This of course is total and absolute BS. I rooted my vehicle only to have Factory Mode available, and I haven't changed a single line of code on my car's firmware ever. Now, seeing other Tesla's having this exact same issue, validates the fact that this problem is not a side effect of rooting a Tesla, as non-rooted vehicles are affected by this as well.

Fast forward to nearly mid-July, I pulled out the Autopilot ECU from my Tesla, and I'm running some test on a bench setup in order to see if I can get the ECU out of Fallback mode, still at this point, without any success. Safe to say I'm unable to go back to Tesla for help, and I'm not going to spend another $1,200 USD on this.

I reached out to @wk057's team and to @verygreen in order to fully figure out what's going on with these failing FSD/3.0 units, but unfortunately they [very kindly] were unable to provide any further insights/assistance.

I'm pretty sure Tesla is well aware of this situation. And as more and more cases like this start to surface, something's gotta give.

Although like with all things Tesla... I'm not holding my breath any time soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: mvrlogins
Looks like I have the same problem as you - I forgot to mention the non-working side repeater cameras in reverse - mine don't work either.

I haven't modified my MCU 2 at all - don't know how to!

Thanks for this - will use this to get Tesla to replace the ECU. It's under extended warranty so they're going to pay for it.

I forgot to mention the non-working side repeater cameras in reverse - mine don't work either.

Forget about Full self-driving, Dashcam/Sentry, a working Instrument Cluster behind the steering wheel and headlights that turn-on on their own when it gets dark...

The things I miss the most about all the features lost with the death of the Autopilot ECU, are the battery preconditioning when navigating to a Supercharger, the ability to use the in-car trip planner in order to map charging stops on long road trips, and the biggest loss of all, the auto-raise suspension feature.

I keep bumping my car on speed bumps, driveways and ramps because my suspension doesn't automatically raise on pre-established locations any more :mad:.

All lost because the GPS is no longer working and the vehicle thinks it's stationary on the location the Autopilot ECU died...

I would be able to sleep much more peacefully if I hadn't sold my Chrysler LeBaron... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I've been in touch with Tesla support - they said to send an email with the description of the problem and a screenshot of the screen (how that helps I hve no idea -

Enable Service Mode and click on Driver Assist and then Cameras.

Take a picture with your phone of your ECU section in Fallback mode and schedule a Service appointment through your Tesla App with the picture you took.

Forget about the stupid email they want you to send them...

Last edited:
Enable Service Mode and click on Driver Assist and then Cameras.

Take a picture with your phone of your ECU section in Fallback mode and schedule a Service appointment through your Tesla App with the picture you took.

Forget about the stupid email they want you to send them...
Thanks

That's what I did after reading your post. They've replaced the ECU. Now I'm told they're having some trouble with the firmware. Let's see.

Hi folks,

I just want to add my issue to this list. I’ve had the same issue happened to me. I have a 2022 Model Y w/ 57k miles that is out of warranty. I do have FSD purchased and use FSD beta daily.

About 2 weeks ago, my ECU failed as well. No navigation update, lights on, no safety features, cameras black.

This issue happened randomly. Prior to contacting service, read about this issue and attempted to reset by disconnecting 12v and High volt. No luck.

Made service appointment, I was just notified that my ECU was stuck in boot loop cycle and they can’t resolve it. The only option I had was to replace the ECU. I was quoted, $2,800 as cars out of warranty. This was a shocker as the cars only few years 57k miles. My lesson learned is that with Tesla cars since it’s so computer dependent people should always opt in for $2k extended warranty or sell/trade in the car. Very common for computer parts to just fail…

I hope Tesla finds more cases and finds another solution to prevent these issues. If not at least reduces cost of these parts.

Hi folks,

I just want to add my issue to this list. I’ve had the same issue happened to me. I have a 2022 Model Y w/ 57k miles that is out of warranty. I do have FSD purchased and use FSD beta daily.

About 2 weeks ago, my ECU failed as well. No navigation update, lights on, no safety features, cameras black.

This issue happened randomly. Prior to contacting service, read about this issue and attempted to reset by disconnecting 12v and High volt. No luck.

Made service appointment, I was just notified that my ECU was stuck in boot loop cycle and they can’t resolve it. The only option I had was to replace the ECU. I was quoted, $2,800 as cars out of warranty. This was a shocker as the cars only few years 57k miles. My lesson learned is that with Tesla cars since it’s so computer dependent people should always opt in for $2k extended warranty or sell/trade in the car. Very common for computer parts to just fail…

I hope Tesla finds more cases and finds another solution to prevent these issues. If not at least reduces cost of these parts.
If they serviced and this failed I would report this issue as a dangerous failure to NTSB re.: possible recall issue