Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satellite Imagery or not for GPS Navigation

In the GPS Navigation screen, do you prefer satellite imagery, or plain maps?

• Satellite imagery

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • No satellite, just plain maps

Votes: 25 69.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just out of curiosity, and this isn't necessarily a Tesla specific question: When using GPS Navigation, do you prefer to use satellite imagery, or not?

I'm a new Tesla owner and have the premium connectivity trial. To me, satellite imagery on the navigation screen looks nice, but I find it much clearer to have satellite imagery OFF when I'm navigating somewhere where I'm not familiar with the area. It seems much easier to see streets with satellite off.

I normally use map only, the exception is when I am looking for a SuperCharger in a parking lot... the map will not show the parking lot as anything other than a blank square or rectangle, but the satellite view gives details that make finding the easiest path to the SC easier.

Keith
This is where satellite imagery shines and is critical in urban environments when you are trying to find the entrance of a parking garage or what entrance to a building you need to be near.

I keep the satellite imagery on all the time. There's always neat things to discover nearby.
No joke! There's a huge LDS Mormon temple here in Meridian ID (and an LDS church about every two blocks...). Yesterday while sitting in my MYP I saw the gigantic temple on the satellite map. I zoomed in a bit to realize there's two huge lakes and a massive park behind the temple gates.

Reactions: CaseyL