Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SB 6586 - Do NOT let this happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
These are the sponsors of SB 6586. If they represent you, write them a letter stating your opposition and rationale.
Washington State Legislature

Senator Rebecca Saldaña (D)
Deputy Majority Leader
37th Legislative District

Senator Steve Hobbs (D)
Vice President Pro Tempore
44th Legislative District

Senator Marko Liias (D)
Majority Floor Leader
21st Legislative District

Senator Steve Conway (D)
Vice President Pro Tempore
29th Legislative District

is this Bill back on the table for this year’s session?

Reactions: Jeff Davlt
Inslee should be thanking all the EV owners by taxing us less and taxing the raised 3/4 ton pickups running around getting 10mpg..SMH.

Ya, but right now he’s not getting any extra tax off those guys that are staying home because the pandemic and buying less gallons of fuel.... EV guys they know for sure they’ll be getting the full tax since it’s a yearly fee.... and WA wants all that money

SB 5444, to impose a mileage tax on owners of electric and hybrid vehicles

https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/li...on-owners-of-electric-and-hybrid-vehicles.pdf

Text of SB 5444 SB 5444 would require the WSTC and state Department of Licensing (DOL) to create a plan for implementing a per-mile charge on electric and hybrid vehicles by December 1, 2022. The plan would include mileage reporting options, recommended rates and collection methods, options for working with other states or countries in developing and administering the RUC, options for payment plans as well as offsets and rebates, a governance structure and transition plan with the Department of Licensing (DOL) as the lead agency that would operate and administer the RUC, and recommendations relating to privacy protection.

The bill directs that by July 1, 2026, electric and hybrid vehicles would pay a RUC of two cents per mile. In June of 2029, that rate would increase to two and one-half cents per mile. This would replace the $150 electric vehicle fee and the $75 transportation electrification fee that EV owners pay now when they renew vehicle registrations., as those fees would be repealed that same year. Drivers who wish to pay a RUC sooner could do so through an early adoption program that would begin in 2025, and could have their EV fees waived.

Money collected from a RUC would be deposited into the Motor Vehicle Fund and used for preservation and maintenance.

Key Facts​

1. Senate Bill 5444 would require the Washington State Transportation Commission (WSTC) and state Department of Licensing (DOL) to create a plan for implementing a Road Usage Charge (RUC) on electric and hybrid vehicles by December 1, 2022.

2. The legislation is premature given the artificial cost-drivers officials impose on transportation projects. These should be eliminated before imposing a new tax on the public.

3. Owners of electric vehicles pay $150 each year as a gas tax offset. If lawmakers feel that is too low, they should consider raising it, rather than imposing a new and administratively costly tax to replace it.

4. Privacy protection is a critical element of the RUC, so any potential data vulnerability should be corrected before imposing a RUC system.

5. Rather than rushing implementation of a RUC despite unresolved privacy concerns, a better approach would be to first allow the Commission to complete its federally-funded research over the next few years and report concrete findings back to the legislature.

6. Any per-mile charge should be protected under the state constitution’s 18th Amendment, which protects money for highway purposes only.

7. To increase public trust, lawmakers should reduce artificial cost-drivers in transportation, and take preliminary steps to ensure any per-mile charge directly benefits and protects the drivers who pay it.

So.... not a resident, but trying to understand in case this virus spreads too far. If I was a resident of Washington state, and average 12 miles/per workday and 100 miles per weekend, I would be required to pay this tax to supposedly support road maintenance for Washington state. But if I take a 10,000 mile trip around the country - I am still taxed which goes to Washington state?
Doesn't sound like an alternative to gas tax which benefits the state where purchased and most likely used in that state.

So.... not a resident, but trying to understand in case this virus spreads too far. If I was a resident of Washington state, and average 12 miles/per workday and 100 miles per weekend, I would be required to pay this tax to supposedly support road maintenance for Washington state. But if I take a 10,000 mile trip around the country - I am still taxed which goes to Washington state?
Doesn't sound like an alternative to gas tax which benefits the state where purchased and most likely used in that state.

To balance that, if somebody in another state drives on a 10,000 mile road trip,they'll pay their state.

No system is perfect People who cross state lines to work will buy gas in the cheaper state.

Also, gasoline vehicle drivers pay more for use the roads when driving:
- in cold weather
- in precipitation
- into a headwind
- with underinflated tires
etc

Per mile at least has the core principle that if you drive more, you pay more.

The problem is the amount. A fixed fee for EVs differs from the variable amount per mile paid by gasoline vehicle drivers.

I used to live in Misery/Missouri where the income tax was 6%, property tax was the same, sales tax was 9%, registration was the same. Everything here now seems free.

If we can direct these fees/taxes to building out the charging infrastructure, I don't mind paying. Plus the cost of EVs is falling so fast, price parity is close or better. IE Cybertruck vs F-150.