Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled Charging and Software Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today when I got home I plugged in as usual, but only had about 3% remaining. I have a time of use electricity plan, so I don't start charging until 9:00 pm. However, as soon as I got home, the car recognized a software update and began downloading it. I logged into the app just to notice that the car had gotten to 0% battery. I assume its because it isn't going to sleep.

What happens? Will the car sense the battery state and get a minimum charge to ensure it doesn't die? Or will it just continue to download and die?

I turned on the charger (and will pay for it when I get my electric bill), but wanted to make sure it doesn't die!

Anyone know what would have happened?

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93
Today when I got home I plugged in as usual, but only had about 3% remaining. I have a time of use electricity plan, so I don't start charging until 9:00 pm. However, as soon as I got home, the car recognized a software update and began downloading it. I logged into the app just to notice that the car had gotten to 0% battery. I assume its because it isn't going to sleep.

What happens? Will the car sense the battery state and get a minimum charge to ensure it doesn't die? Or will it just continue to download and die?

I turned on the charger (and will pay for it when I get my electric bill), but wanted to make sure it doesn't die!

Anyone know what would have happened?

Hmm good question, my experience with scheduled charging I normally put a departure time not a charging time sometimes I’ve noticed it charges to a certain point and then stops until a few hours before my departure time before it starts charging again to full..

I believe the car will take your instructions as “priority” and not charge until 9:00pm seeing that it even let it get to 0% in the first place I’m assuming it wouldn’t have done anything as far as it dying I’ve read somewhere before that 0% isn’t actually 0 built in safety’s and all that.. that a unique use case scenario..

• Informative
Reactions: jdr93