Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging at home - charging any time when not at home

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s not an option today with the Tesla app. However, this is totally doable with a little coding since the “unofficial” Tesla API supports “start charging”.

Charging

It would be vert simple and straight forward code with SmartThings that I use for my smart home since ST has proximity detection already built in.

Since it’s available via the API, perhaps one of the Tesla downloadable apps might already be doing this. If not, reach out to your favorite developer of one of them (I use Tesla Stats) and see if they are willing to add it. Stats already has a smart charging schedule page where you can set various charging parameters but I don’t see geofencing as a configurable option.

@jmaddr WTF, dude?! Don't reinvent the wheel. The car already gives exactly the function he is looking for. It doesn't need anyone to hire any third party programmers to create this.

The car already handles this, as @Wodensthrall described. When you turn that setting of scheduled charging on, using the touchscreen, it assigns the scheduled time for that geographical location. All other places will stay with "scheduled OFF" and charging as soon as you plug it in.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
When you set the start time for charging, it is associated with that particular geolocation, so for each charger you use regularly, you can set a separate start time. If no start time is set for a particular location, the car will start charging immediately.

Wow, I didn’t know it kept a table of geolocation. Agreed I was way off base then. Ignore my previous post. Thanks for the correction of the misinformation @Rocky_H.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
In addition to the setting of scheduled charging being assigned to a location, a lowered amp setting is also logged for that location. So if you charge at a friend's house who has an outlet with slightly weak wiring, and you need to reduce the amps, it will remember the lowered value for that location too.