Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled charging overrun

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charged up last night for the first time in a while to around 75% - enough for either sitting idle or if anything unexpected crops up.

However, this morning I could see that the charge had overrun a little - not much, maybe 3 or 4%, but certainly noticeable on the app slider.

I think I saw this reported on the forum a fair while back but I couldn't find the post unfortunately. Anyone had this recently please? Just a bit worried if it somehow missed and kept going!

Cheers

There’s a known issue for a loose bolt and washer within the battery charge restrictor. This can cause up to 5% difference.

In all seriousness don’t worry. IIRC the car calculates 75% of your known usable battery when the car charge limit is programmed. This is calculated as a kWh figure and car charges to that.

If the cells are balanced/change for temperature/usable battery changes etc by the BMS, the previously calculated kWh figure will cause a difference in % in relation to the usable battery. That’s what you’re seeing.

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel and Roy W.
There’s a known issue for a loose bolt and washer within the battery charge restrictor. This can cause up to 5% difference.

In all seriousness don’t worry. IIRC the car calculates 75% of your known usable battery when the car charge limit is programmed. This is calculated as a kWh figure and car charges to that.

If the cells are balanced/change for temperature/usable battery changes etc by the BMS, the previously calculated kWh figure will cause a difference in % in relation to the usable battery. That’s what you’re seeing.
Ah another loose bolt issue! Thanks for that, I'll monitor. Cheers

• Funny
Reactions: Adopado