Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scheduled departure question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If my car is in my garage overnight where the temperature is moderate (50-60 degrees) should I still use the scheduled departure precondition feature? Is that what is best for battery health and range? Thank you.

In the Tesla Model Y the energy used to precondition and warm the battery when needed always comes from the battery. If the Tesla Model Y is plugged in during the preconditioning period then assuming 240V and 32 amp or higher amperage charging the energy used to precondition can be replenished about as fast as it is being used.

At 50F or above you won't see the blue snow flake symbol that indicates that the battery is cold. Full regenerative braking will not be available at 50F. If you enable the blended friction braking option you will not notice that regen is being limited due to the battery being cold (and/or the state of charge being to high.)

At 50F to 60F scheduled departure preconditioning is not needed. I don't follow a set schedule so I will manually precondition using the Tesla app before leaving home. Between 50F and 65F ~2 minutes is enough time to start to warm up the passenger cabin before your drive.

Reactions: 240vPlug