Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scotland road trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm visiting & staying in Scotland for a couple of trips shortly - hotels where we're staying have chargers, but I don't know what else I'm likely to need if charging on the road , PAYG for e.g.
Does anyone have any useful tips for what I might need? Do I need a card, any particular apps etc?
Get a charge place Scotland account and RFID card. That should cover you for most of what you will need. My experience though is that wether the chargers work or not is hit or miss. Even the info in the CPS app isn't great (went to one on the off chance as the app said it didn't work but it was working fine). Also If you have problems I have found that if you can get mobile signal and phone CPS they are pretty helpful. Sometimes can start chargers remotely if you are having a problem.

I even got a free charge at one location. My car got to 98% before an error appeared on the charger so I disconnected. Never ever got charged for that usage!!

Reactions: AndyWarrington
I'm visiting & staying in Scotland for a couple of trips shortly - hotels where we're staying have chargers, but I don't know what else I'm likely to need if charging on the road , PAYG for e.g.
Does anyone have any useful tips for what I might need? Do I need a card, any particular apps etc?
Could I suggest you share your route plan, and let us know if you need to stop along route, or the hotels are likely to cover charging needs?

Could I suggest you share your route plan, and let us know if you need to stop along route, or the hotels are likely to cover charging needs?
First weekend is in Brampton, near Gretna so on the border so straight up & down the M6, it's likely we'll pop into Scotland at some point and with Gretna being out of use at the mo we'll need to charge on the hoof. I'll be registering on Charge Scotland, taking @Chimpy McChimp 's advise 👍

We're off to Mull in May so stopping at Oban for a couple of nights first, hotel has chargers, loads to find on a google search depending on your prefs & budget etc. Our digs in Mull have chargers on site (Pods on Mull), We're stopping at a place in Dumfries on the way back. I expect to be covered by just the hotels & digs on this trip but don't want be caught short and/or have some flexibility

Home to Abington on the way (IRO 180 miles) then to Oban
Will be doing the 'SkyFall' road/pic whilst staying in Oban, seems there's plenty of 50Kw's on the route if I need it

First weekend is in Brampton, near Gretna so on the border so straight up & down the M6, it's likely we'll pop into Scotland at some point and with Gretna being out of use at the mo we'll need to charge on the hoof. I'll be registering on Charge Scotland, taking @Chimpy McChimp 's advise 👍

We're off to Mull in May so stopping at Oban for a couple of nights first, hotel has chargers, loads to find on a google search depending on your prefs & budget etc. Our digs in Mull have chargers on site (Pods on Mull), We're stopping at a place in Dumfries on the way back. I expect to be covered by just the hotels & digs on this trip but don't want be caught short and/or have some flexibility

Will be doing the 'SkyFall' road/pic whilst staying in Oban, seems there's plenty of 50Kw's on the route if I need it
We've been to Mull a couple of times. Brilliant place.

Tesco at Oban has a few chargers and although busy you can normally get on them. There is also one on the Oban ferry terminal but it wasn't accessible when we went.

Once you arrive, there are a couple of decent Charge Place Scotland chargers opposite the ferry landing dock at Craignure (in the corner of the carpark behind the toilets). Also a couple of chargers on the main quayside car park at Tobermory. That's about it for Mull unless it's improved since we went last summer.

(A couple of other Mull chargers are shown on ZapMap but never functional in our experience)

We've been to Mull a couple of times. Brilliant place.

Tesco at Oban has a few chargers and although busy you can normally get on them. There is also one on the Oban ferry terminal but it wasn't accessible when we went.

Once you arrive, there are a couple of decent Charge Place Scotland chargers opposite the ferry landing dock at Craignure (in the corner of the carpark behind the toilets). Also a couple of chargers on the main quayside car park at Tobermory. That's about it for Mull unless it's improved since we went last summer.

(A couple of other Mull chargers are shown on ZapMap but never functional in our experience)
Cheers 👍

I'll be fine on Mull, our digs have 5 x 7kw's which will be great for overnight etc
Just hope we're there 'non-mozzie season' 🤠
(End of May)

If the Brampton site doesn't have chargers, charge at either gretna (If open), teebay or the Carlisle Ionity. That should see you up to Glasgow easily (Ionity or Eurocentral) for the Oban run.

The CPS 50kw chargers aren't the most reliable. Some units will start via app, others only via RFID or phone call (That's the old EVolt Tri-Rapid chargers File:EVolt Tri-Rapid Compact Charger Front and Side View 1.jpg - Wikimedia Commons and some 7kw units). I would personally try to use superchargers and hotel chargers to avoid the CPS network, it used for be cheap-but-*sugar*, now it's expensive and *sugar*. Signing up to the CPS network is wise though, it's good to back a backup option, as there is little else around Oban, mull, etc