Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Road Trip Scotland to England

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
I know there is some posts already which may cover some of this. But hopefully my questions are different!
I have a model Y and travelling from Edinburgh to London and plan to use the supercharge miles that i have.
Is there any issues with doing this where required over a week or so? Say several charges of 10 days or so.
I use charge pace Scotland and have a RFID card. For England, where I can't use charge miles should I download another app or can I just pay by card?
Is there anything I should know about concerned about, in terms of travelling m74/m6/m1 and trying to use superchargers?

Thanks

Hi
I know there is some posts already which may cover some of this. But hopefully my questions are different!
I have a model Y and travelling from Edinburgh to London and plan to use the supercharge miles that i have.
Is there any issues with doing this where required over a week or so? Say several charges of 10 days or so.
I use charge pace Scotland and have a RFID card. For England, where I can't use charge miles should I download another app or can I just pay by card?
Is there anything I should know about concerned about, in terms of travelling m74/m6/m1 and trying to use superchargers?

Thanks
You will notice you will feel like a free bird as soon as you cross Carlisle as there is no need to look for or hold any subscriptions or RFID cards or apps. You just go to a SC and charge and keep going. You will know what I am talking about when you are here. It is all like an ICE car. Welcome to real Tesla experience and Welcome to England :)

Last edited:
Reactions: daakhu
I fairly regularly do Aberdeen to Poole (going to Guernsey by ferry from Poole to visit son who lives there) only using superchargers as I get free miles on my MX. No problems at all and now that Tebay has been upgraded as it was the only place I have ever had to wait I no longer have any fears about having to queue. In fact I have never used anything other than home charging and superchargers over the 4 years and many thousands of miles,including many ventures into England, that I have had my MX!!

Last edited:
I regularly travel from Angus to Yorkshire (every few weeks) and the south of England every couple of months. Have not required anything other than the Tesla SC, and only twice used a Gridserve by contactless over the last 18 months and 34,000 miles - once at Hamilton services when getting a Big Mac and once in England for the same reason! No reason to use anything else or get any other app.

The Tesla nav will route you via the SC's and adjust in real time if there are delays etc. If you know where you are going in advance then just plot it on ABRP and you will have confidence on what will be shown to you.

Hi

Thanks
Put your destination in the nav … that’s all you really need to do. The car will tell you where to charge (Superchargers). You are not going off the beaten track so the need for other charges will be non existent.

MS70 here so I have to stop more often than the OP in a Model Y.
Edinburgh-London is very easy using Superchargers but regular travellers will know some options tend to be better than others in terms of queueing, charging speed, and facilities.

I avoid Abington, Gretna as queues are guaranteed, it's difficult to park while queueing, and charging is relatively slow (V2, power shared in pairs). These days I go Eurocentral - Tebay. OP probably won't need the Eurocentral stop but register your number plate at reception if you do.
Tebay is now 12 xV3 and even if there is a queue you shouldn't be waiting long and it's much easier to park and wait there.
Stoke/Trentham is usually my next stop but Stoke is only 4 x V2 so again prone to queues/slow charging. Trentham is a short detour off the motorway, can also be busy but with 8 x V3 the wait time is likely to be shorter and it's a more pleasant location for a leg stretch.
Hilton Park Southbound (12 x V2) is an alternative which I haven't tried, but I'm not sure if you can get back onto the M6 toll from there.
Moto Rugby is next which is often busy but has lots of chargers (12 x V3, in the process of being expanded). I've never had to queue there (been there 3 or 4 times I think).
There are more options on the M40 than the M1 as you get closer to London but that shouldn't be an issue in a MY.
I've stayed in the SW London area and used Heathrow T5 to fill up en route which has been enough for driving around for a few days. Rules for registering/getting a barrier ticket there have changed so I'd recommend checking with reception but the hotel is a pleasant place for a coffee break. Note there are a mix of V2 and V3 chargers so use a V3 if speed is of the essence. There are plenty of other Supercharger options in and around London though.

On the way back north you are allowed to get to Tebay S by the access road from the northbound services (the Nav routes you via the small village of Orton).
I believe some folk also access Charnock Richard (northbound) via the service road when heading south but there are periodic crackdowns (and a big barrier) to prevent unauthorised use of the service road.

You may find it more convenient to destination charge, rather than have to wait to supercharge. Take a look on zap-map for a charge near your accommodation, or better yet find accommodation with a charger.
Electroverse is good for access to public destination chargers. doesn't cover everything, but covers a lot

For the superchargers, the satnav wil work out which chargers are busy and route around them as best it can

On the way back north you are allowed to get to Tebay S by the access road from the northbound services (the Nav routes you via the small village of Orton).
I believe some folk also access Charnock Richard (northbound) via the service road when heading south but there are periodic crackdowns (and a big barrier) to prevent unauthorised use of the service road.
DO NOT go to Tebay by the very long diversion through the village when heading N which the car nav will direct you to as cezdoc says. Enter the N bound services and follow the signs on the left past the Gridserve chargers for the Tesla superchargers and there is an access road that crosses from N to S services. Same route back. It is very quick. See photo attached.

I use the Charnock Richard regularly again with the road from S bound services over the Mill Lane
Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 12.34.46.png
road to N and back without any problem.
Screenshot 2023-06-28 at 12.28.51.png

You may find it more convenient to destination charge, rather than have to wait to supercharge. Take a look on zap-map for a charge near your accommodation, or better yet find accommodation with a charger.
Electroverse is good for access to public destination chargers. doesn't cover everything, but covers a lot

For the superchargers, the satnav wil work out which chargers are busy and route around them as best it can
Might need to drive at 5mph if you want to make it from Edinburgh to London on a single chsrge to then destination charge. Probably half the way being towed as you ran out of electrons 😉

A supercharger stop isn't a big deal. For instance can top up while they process his asylum application to escape Scotland 😄 Just kidding of course, lovely place. Might move there in the future myself.

Now that there are an extra 12 (Non Tesla) chargers at Gretna Green hopefully that will help reduce the queues on the 4 Tesla chargers, not cheap at 79p KwH but many people would choose them over queuing, which may help you get on to the superchargers quicker to use your miles.

Now that there are an extra 12 (Non Tesla) chargers at Gretna Green hopefully that will help reduce the queues on the 4 Tesla chargers, not cheap at 79p KwH but many people would choose them over queuing, which may help you get on to the superchargers quicker to use your miles.
There are also 2 x Gridserve beside the Tesla SC too (69p/kW), and a few Ionity at the filling station. There are lots there, just most of them are twice the price!

The recent upgrading of Tebay to 12 x v3 will be of more assistance to the OP as he is coming from Edinburgh and wont need to trouble with Gretna.

Might need to drive at 5mph if you want to make it from Edinburgh to London on a single chsrge to then destination charge. Probably half the way being towed as you ran out of electrons 😉

A supercharger stop isn't a big deal. For instance can top up while they process his asylum application to escape Scotland 😄 Just kidding of course, lovely place. Might move there in the future myself.
Well, I meant that you can find a hotel with a charger, and arrive with 20%, rather than having to do another stop near your destination to make sure you have the juice to get around london and back to a supercharger on the way home

Well, I meant that you can find a hotel with a charger, and arrive with 20%, rather than having to do another stop near your destination to make sure you have the juice to get around london and back to a supercharger on the way home
Yeah, interestingly me and old lady booked a hotel this week off Booking.com that said it had EV charging. We drove around a rather large hotel carpark but couldn't find them at all. Asked on reception and nope, they don't have any. Moral of the story and lesson for me is to check the real hotel's website and not trust other companies data on this.

Thank you all for your messages, very useful information.
I made a stop at Tebay, was at 46% after leaving Edinburgh at 98%. As I had set destination as Birmingham (stopping over tonight). The supercharger stopped at 71% and said you have enough for your journey. Which I didn't realise it did that, we left and arrived at 20%. So not bad going so far!

Thank you all for your messages, very useful information.
I made a stop at Tebay, was at 46% after leaving Edinburgh at 98%. As I had set destination as Birmingham (stopping over tonight). The supercharger stopped at 71% and said you have enough for your journey. Which I didn't realise it did that, we left and arrived at 20%. So not bad going so far!
Exactly… it’s a piece of cake. You don’t really need to plan anything for main route destinations… this is the Tesla USP.

Hi

Thanks
Don't Do It!!!

England is a place of wild beasts and yorkshire folk - you may have seen 'England' on the news, but its all a gigantic conspiracy bolstered by coverups at the highest level, deepfakes and hush money!

Anyone that crossed the border never comes back!

• Funny
Reactions: Wybrook and daakhu
Awesome news about Tebay, and glad the trip is going fine. I've generally phoned the hotel in advance if I'm wanting to destination charge, you always glean some info from the 5 min chat, but can also discover the 'oh no, thats coming soon', or 'thats broken' cases too to help with planning.

I've never had to queue at tebay, but its come close a few times, so great to see them going v3. Makes such a huge difference to turnover not having to share power.

Reactions: daakhu and Adopado