TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Scratch repair suggestions for 20" Gray Performance wheel?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by turns2stone, Jan 3, 2020.

1. turns2stone

turns2stone Member

Well, I got my first scratch/ding out of they way on my 7-day-old car :mad:

Any ideas for DIY or pro repair? I'm in Dallas, TX.

[​IMG]

• Love x 1
  2. turns2stone

turns2stone Member

I'm actually more interested in if the Gray Performance wheel color/paint is the same color as the standard Aero wheels?

This is what people use to touch up those: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HE66OK8/

3. Joabe

Joabe Member

That says Ford. Sure it’s an exact match?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  4. i2fat2kidnap

i2fat2kidnap Member

I’m also curious on the color match. Sonic Carbon is the color used for the wheels on the Model S, but not sure about these new ones.

5. ElectricIAC

ElectricIAC Devil’s Advocate

#5 ElectricIAC, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Quality One wheel repair in W. Carrollton came highly recommended by the Plano Service Center. Very reasonable and FAST.

I’ll be honest though. I’d probably just touch that up with a close match sharpie and wait on a bigger kerbing (May be your first but definitely won’t be your last) to actually spend the money to repair but I’m a cheap bastard.

These cars have a deceptively large and assymetrical (front/rear) footprint at least from what I can tell. In addition to your own sight and depth perception also pay attention to your “feelers” which are the little rounds on the display that surround the car when in motion and near medians and kerb.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  6. webbah

webbah Member

This is what I did to repair my wheels. I used a Dremel to smooth out the scratches and then a close match sharpie to make it as close a match as possible.

• Like x 1
  7. turns2stone

turns2stone Member

#7 turns2stone, Jan 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    That's the exact paint that owners with the 18" gray aero wheels use with success. Knowing Tesla, wouldn't they use the same color for those wheels + the 20" Performance?

Thanks for the suggestion. After sleeping on it and looking at the damage more closely, I think I will go the DIY route. I plan on taping off the damaged section, getting after it with some 800, then 1500 grit paper, then appropriate paint.

Probably like always, it was a weird/unique situation that lead to the scratch (cause I'm normally EXTRA careful). I had backed into a spot next to a curb, and had to pull out at a weird angle thanks to a driver who had stopped her car directly in front of me, and left the car to talk to somebody. Ugh.

I thought about using my Dremel. I have some good polishing tools in my kit.

8. turns2stone

turns2stone Member

Great news! The Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All in 1 "AFM360" Ford Shadow Gray does seem to match well with the 20" Gray Performance wheel. It would now be a good assumption that this wheel is the same paint color as the 18" Aero wheel. It's not 100% perfect match, but close enough for wheels :D

I figured I'd try this repair myself today. Here's another 'before' shot:
    [​IMG]

I did some masking, first with electrical tape, then some wide painter's tape:

[​IMG]

Then I got to work on sanding it down. First with 400 grit, then 1000, and finally 2000:

[​IMG]

At this point I was feeling pretty good, because I got things pretty smooth with the 2000 paper. But using the touchup paint, I was a bit sloppy. So took a few more runs at it with the 2000 paper, and ultimately ended up with this, after paint:

[​IMG]

This image is with a VERY strong work light in my garage. In normal lighting, the repair is not noticeable. So, I'm pretty happy with this DIY job. Hopefully the paint recommendation will help others with the 20" Gray Performance wheels.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  9. turns2stone

turns2stone Member

After further reflection, I’m retracting my recommendation that this Ford paint is the best match for the Tesla wheel color.

Viewing in the sun, (and I got to park next to a M3 with the 18” wheels) I could tell my 20” were one shade darker. Technically, Tesla calls this wheel color Gunpowder, so it’s different than the color than even Model X/S wheels.

• Informative x 1
  10. phxable

phxable Member

Hello, Do you know paint name or link the web site? My M3P wheel gets scratched. I will try to touch up

11. turns2stone

turns2stone Member

Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All in 1 "AFM360" Ford Shadow Gray

12. phxable

phxable Member

Thank you!

13. keithbribac

keithbribac New Member

I did a pretty crappy job. Here's what sonic carbon looks like on mine

Attached Files:

14. SurfcasterPE

SurfcasterPE Member

Thanks for the color research and the write-up. Your DIY looks pretty good!

• Like x 2