Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratch repair suggestions for 20" Gray Performance wheel?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I got my first scratch/ding out of they way on my 7-day-old car :mad:

Any ideas for DIY or pro repair? I'm in Dallas, TX.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-03-at-5-40-12-PM.png

• Love
Reactions: lUtriaNt
Well, I got my first scratch/ding out of they way on my 7-day-old car :mad:

Any ideas for DIY or pro repair? I'm in Dallas, TX.

Screen-Shot-2020-01-03-at-5-40-12-PM.png
Quality One wheel repair in W. Carrollton came highly recommended by the Plano Service Center. Very reasonable and FAST.

I’ll be honest though. I’d probably just touch that up with a close match sharpie and wait on a bigger kerbing (May be your first but definitely won’t be your last) to actually spend the money to repair but I’m a cheap bastard.

These cars have a deceptively large and assymetrical (front/rear) footprint at least from what I can tell. In addition to your own sight and depth perception also pay attention to your “feelers” which are the little rounds on the display that surround the car when in motion and near medians and kerb.

Last edited:
Quality One wheel repair in W. Carrollton came highly recommended by the Plano Service Center. Very reasonable and FAST. I’ll be honest though. I’d probably just touch that up with a close match sharpie and wait on a bigger kerbing to actually spend the money to repair but I’m a cheap bastard.
This is what I did to repair my wheels. I used a Dremel to smooth out the scratches and then a close match sharpie to make it as close a match as possible.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
That says Ford. Sure it’s an exact match?

That's the exact paint that owners with the 18" gray aero wheels use with success. Knowing Tesla, wouldn't they use the same color for those wheels + the 20" Performance?

Quality One wheel repair in W. Carrollton came highly recommended by the Plano Service Center. Very reasonable and FAST.

I’ll be honest though. I’d probably just touch that up with a close match sharpie and wait on a bigger kerbing (May be your first but definitely won’t be your last) to actually spend the money to repair but I’m a cheap bastard.

These cars have a deceptively large and assymetrical (front/rear) footprint at least from what I can tell. In addition to your own sight and depth perception also pay attention to your “feelers” which are the little rounds on the display that surround the car when in motion and near medians and kerb.

Thanks for the suggestion. After sleeping on it and looking at the damage more closely, I think I will go the DIY route. I plan on taping off the damaged section, getting after it with some 800, then 1500 grit paper, then appropriate paint.

Probably like always, it was a weird/unique situation that lead to the scratch (cause I'm normally EXTRA careful). I had backed into a spot next to a curb, and had to pull out at a weird angle thanks to a driver who had stopped her car directly in front of me, and left the car to talk to somebody. Ugh.

This is what I did to repair my wheels. I used a Dremel to smooth out the scratches and then a close match sharpie to make it as close a match as possible.

I thought about using my Dremel. I have some good polishing tools in my kit.

Last edited:
Great news! The Dupli-Color Scratch Fix All in 1 "AFM360" Ford Shadow Gray does seem to match well with the 20" Gray Performance wheel. It would now be a good assumption that this wheel is the same paint color as the 18" Aero wheel. It's not 100% perfect match, but close enough for wheels :D

I figured I'd try this repair myself today. Here's another 'before' shot:

I did some masking, first with electrical tape, then some wide painter's tape:

Then I got to work on sanding it down. First with 400 grit, then 1000, and finally 2000:

At this point I was feeling pretty good, because I got things pretty smooth with the 2000 paper. But using the touchup paint, I was a bit sloppy. So took a few more runs at it with the 2000 paper, and ultimately ended up with this, after paint:

This image is with a VERY strong work light in my garage. In normal lighting, the repair is not noticeable. So, I'm pretty happy with this DIY job. Hopefully the paint recommendation will help others with the 20" Gray Performance wheels.

After further reflection, I’m retracting my recommendation that this Ford paint is the best match for the Tesla wheel color.

Viewing in the sun, (and I got to park next to a M3 with the 18” wheels) I could tell my 20” were one shade darker. Technically, Tesla calls this wheel color Gunpowder, so it’s different than the color than even Model X/S wheels.

• Informative
Reactions: lUtriaNt
After further reflection, I’m retracting my recommendation that this Ford paint is the best match for the Tesla wheel color.

Viewing in the sun, (and I got to park next to a M3 with the 18” wheels) I could tell my 20” were one shade darker. Technically, Tesla calls this wheel color Gunpowder, so it’s different than the color than even Model X/S wheels.
Since you retracted your recommendation, do you have a new recommendation? Thanks.