Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Scratches on Windshield!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello forum!

sorry in advance for this long thread.

i got my wife a new dual motor model 3. picked it up about a month ago. i was very excited to pick the car up and took the whole family. we cancelled our first order for the single motor after we received our reservation for the dual motor model 3. it finally arrived. i've been reading the forums and watched video about what to look for before taking delivery.

sure enough, there were major issues with paint which included dark spots under the clear coat, scratches in the bumper, dull spots in the paint. well, luckily i let them know and they finally replaced the whole front bumper because of the extensive paint issues. they ended up buffing out most of the other minor imperfections.

it took them almost 3 weeks to get back to me but i'm happy they took care of it. during that time, i tinted the windows and clear tinted the front window. when i got the car tinted i noticed a lot of scratches on the windshield. mostly during night driving because it would reflect light from oncoming cars. i just assumed it was the tint that was scratched. i took it back to the tint place and they told me the scratches were on the outside of the windshield. they told me to run my fingernail on the outside of the glass and sure enough, i could feel the scratches. i've been using this company for years and have had all my cars tinted there. i've never had any issues. when i spoke to them, they said the tint probably is causing me to notice the scratches more.

i figured i'd let tesla know and called the delivery group since i had less than 400 miles on the car. when i call them, they told me to call service. i call service and they tell me they have never heard of any issues like that and to call delivery. we go back and fourth for awhile and they said they would reach out to delivery. i get an email later from delivery stating that they will NOT honor any windshield warranty claims because 1) i took it to a 3rd party tint place, 2) i am outside of my 72 hour delivery time frame to make a claim and 3) they never seen this issue before and can't determine when it happened.

now i was a little upset that they never once asked me to bring the car in to see the scratches. they just flat out denied my issues. i escalated it up to a manager and he just said the same thing. has anybody noticed this with their new car? any thoughts or ideas? any help will greatly be appreciated. i tried to take pictures of the scratches but it's hard to see it in pictures. Thanks!!!

Having ground my own telescope mirror by hand I'd say you can probably fix them yourself with patience and the correct grades of grinding compounds. They don't sound to severe since you didn't even notice them before.

Yeah, I've been watching YouTube. I spoke to the service manager and he said he would help try to buff it out for me. I'll see what they can do. Thanks!

Mine came with scratches too, I had the service center try to buff them out. They did pretty well, but there's at least one deep scratch still.

It's relatively minor and mine is really low on the windshield, near the wiper blades, and impossible to see within the vehicle. If it turns out to be the source of a crack within the warranty period, I'll have to try to get them to replace it at their expense.

My immediate question is the mention of a "3rd party tint shop". Tesla doesn't have an "in-house" tint department, as far as I know. And just because they haven't seen this issue before doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. It sounds like they are trying to "draw a line in the sand" with you specifically because you are making them stand behind their product and requiring them to correct the issues.

Do you have any pics of these scratches?

hello forum!

sorry in advance for this long thread.

i got my wife a new dual motor model 3. picked it up about a month ago. i was very excited to pick the car up and took the whole family. we cancelled our first order for the single motor after we received our reservation for the dual motor model 3. it finally arrived. i've been reading the forums and watched video about what to look for before taking delivery.

sure enough, there were major issues with paint which included dark spots under the clear coat, scratches in the bumper, dull spots in the paint. well, luckily i let them know and they finally replaced the whole front bumper because of the extensive paint issues. they ended up buffing out most of the other minor imperfections.

it took them almost 3 weeks to get back to me but i'm happy they took care of it. during that time, i tinted the windows and clear tinted the front window. when i got the car tinted i noticed a lot of scratches on the windshield. mostly during night driving because it would reflect light from oncoming cars. i just assumed it was the tint that was scratched. i took it back to the tint place and they told me the scratches were on the outside of the windshield. they told me to run my fingernail on the outside of the glass and sure enough, i could feel the scratches. i've been using this company for years and have had all my cars tinted there. i've never had any issues. when i spoke to them, they said the tint probably is causing me to notice the scratches more.

i figured i'd let tesla know and called the delivery group since i had less than 400 miles on the car. when i call them, they told me to call service. i call service and they tell me they have never heard of any issues like that and to call delivery. we go back and fourth for awhile and they said they would reach out to delivery. i get an email later from delivery stating that they will NOT honor any windshield warranty claims because 1) i took it to a 3rd party tint place, 2) i am outside of my 72 hour delivery time frame to make a claim and 3) they never seen this issue before and can't determine when it happened.

now i was a little upset that they never once asked me to bring the car in to see the scratches. they just flat out denied my issues. i escalated it up to a manager and he just said the same thing. has anybody noticed this with their new car? any thoughts or ideas? any help will greatly be appreciated. i tried to take pictures of the scratches but it's hard to see it in pictures. Thanks!!!

You are absolutely not crazy nor are you the only one--they said the same thing to me.

Mine were very fine hair like scratches first noticed when driving directly into the sun (west) on a long road trip about 1 week into owning the car. The scratches could be seen at night for sure, but they were much more bothersome during bright, cloudless days with the sun causing refractile images and reflections from all scratches.

It began near the cameras <1000 miles very slowly spreading over much of the drivers side and throughout peripheral windshield.

Google searches in the beginning it seemed like possibly a UV coating of some sorts peeling off, but then after some time it became clear that all scratches ran tangential to the path of the windshield wipers at each given location in relation to the scratch. In other words, it was something to due to with the wipers and windshield interface. Everything was stock and no aftermarket applications had been done to the wiper or windshield. Sometimes wipers were set to automatic, but it was often too aggressive for me so I just pulse mine when water builds up enough. No phantom wiper movements that I am aware of.

So I put almost 6k miles before I went to Tesla with the problem, but to fair it was noticed during the 3500 mile road trip I made within 1 week of owning the car. I was prepared to be rejected based on high mileage, aftermarket tint, or even just being told it wasn't covered under warranty--but I was not prepared to be repeatedly accused of causing the damage.

The conversation started out rational, I let him know that nothing had been placed or applied to the windshield and that I had considered it was due to vandalism--but based on simple observation and basic math/trigonometry it seemed to be very clearly from the wipers.

Fortunately, all of us kept our composure and maintained respect during the conversation--but in all honesty I was absolutely fuming on the inside by the end. He told me 7 times (had to start counting after 3) to be careful using my car and avoid placing things on the windshield. Despite me informing him multiple times that I don't know what I could've been doing wrong to cause these scratches (because I guess I'm weird not putting baggage on my windshield...). In the end, he was starting to sound like I do lecturing my 5 year old about picking up his Lego. It felt like he was accusing me of either being a liar or an idiot.

TLDR; They honored the windshield warranty, but it was after the manager reiterated multiple times that I was the source of the scratches due to being either an idiot or an asshole. I still gave good review afterwards with no mention of my anger at the situation because manager was kind enough and staff was stellar as always. I also don't want an asterisk on my file so soon.

I don't know if this happens with other cars. I've never really looked at a brand new vehicle's windshield that carefully. Is it possible they all have tiny scratches on them? I don't know. I wouldn't expect them to be absolutely perfect. What I do know is that glass is actually very easy to scratch even with human hands if there is the slightest piece of glass, grit, etc... on them. I also know that if you use a paper towel on glass you may well scratch it especially if the towel is made from recycled paper. Always use a clean microfiber towel if you don't want to accidentally scratch your glass. Never use any kind of paper (except lens paper) on any optical glass.

Last edited:
I have this issue however I don't think they are scratches. They look like some sort of micro-cracks internal to the glass. They look like fibers so the instinct is to clean them off, but they will not go away. Stellarmist, did they replace your windshield? And the new one has no sign of scratches/cracks?

I have the same thing..... I you can take a polishing compound and smooth them out. It's annoying it came that way, but it's fairly minor.

I was trying to see what compound would work. I'll see what Tesla can do for me. Some guy on YouTube used a Turtle Wax polish and hand soap with pumis
My immediate question is the mention of a "3rd party tint shop". Tesla doesn't have an "in-house" tint department, as far as I know. And just because they haven't seen this issue before doesn't mean the issue doesn't exist. It sounds like they are trying to "draw a line in the sand" with you specifically because you are making them stand behind their product and requiring them to correct the issues.

Do you have any pics of these scratches?

I tried to take pictures of the scratches but hard to see in pictures. I'm going to take it to them next week. I mentioned the same thing to them about the 3rd party tint companies. Tesla doesn't do tint so what else am I supposed to do. They gave me some bs about 72 hour window to report issues. Is that written somewhere?
Next time just drop by the sc and chat with them. I find that if you find a person there, the issue would be resolved much quicker.

I'm planning to go by next week sometime. I'll update everyone.

You are absolutely not crazy nor are you the only one--they said the same thing to me.

Mine were very fine hair like scratches first noticed when driving directly into the sun (west) on a long road trip about 1 week into owning the car. The scratches could be seen at night for sure, but they were much more bothersome during bright, cloudless days with the sun causing refractile images and reflections from all scratches.

It began near the cameras <1000 miles very slowly spreading over much of the drivers side and throughout peripheral windshield.

Google searches in the beginning it seemed like possibly a UV coating of some sorts peeling off, but then after some time it became clear that all scratches ran tangential to the path of the windshield wipers at each given location in relation to the scratch. In other words, it was something to due to with the wipers and windshield interface. Everything was stock and no aftermarket applications had been done to the wiper or windshield. Sometimes wipers were set to automatic, but it was often too aggressive for me so I just pulse mine when water builds up enough. No phantom wiper movements that I am aware of.

So I put almost 6k miles before I went to Tesla with the problem, but to fair it was noticed during the 3500 mile road trip I made within 1 week of owning the car. I was prepared to be rejected based on high mileage, aftermarket tint, or even just being told it wasn't covered under warranty--but I was not prepared to be repeatedly accused of causing the damage.

The conversation started out rational, I let him know that nothing had been placed or applied to the windshield and that I had considered it was due to vandalism--but based on simple observation and basic math/trigonometry it seemed to be very clearly from the wipers.

Fortunately, all of us kept our composure and maintained respect during the conversation--but in all honesty I was absolutely fuming on the inside by the end. He told me 7 times (had to start counting after 3) to be careful using my car and avoid placing things on the windshield. Despite me informing him multiple times that I don't know what I could've been doing wrong to cause these scratches (because I guess I'm weird not putting baggage on my windshield...). In the end, he was starting to sound like I do lecturing my 5 year old about picking up his Lego. It felt like he was accusing me of either being a liar or an idiot.

TLDR; They honored the windshield warranty, but it was after the manager reiterated multiple times that I was the source of the scratches due to being either an idiot or an asshole. I still gave good review afterwards with no mention of my anger at the situation because manager was kind enough and staff was stellar as always. I also don't want an asterisk on my file so soon.

I was thinking it could have been something like the wipers but didn't think it would make those type of scratches like the ones I have. They dont run in the direction of the wipers. I can slow feel them with my fingernails. They are a little deep.

I'm hoping they can buff it out but I doubt it. I'm guessing they think they've done enough for me by replacing my whole bumper. We shall see.

I have this issue however I don't think they are scratches. They look like some sort of micro-cracks internal to the glass. They look like fibers so the instinct is to clean them off, but they will not go away. Stellarmist, did they replace your windshield? And the new one has no sign of scratches/cracks?
I agree that these are not scratches. Last week, as I was making a left turn with the sun shining in the windshield with the perfect light, I heard a slight crack sound and saw the crack form on my M3. It's only visible in the perfect light and I can feel it on the inside with my nail. It started by the camera near the rear-view mirror and spread down towards the lower driver's side of the windshield. It almost seems like a film that cracked but I'm not even sure there is a film on the inside of the windshield (I haven't modified the windshield in any way).

I'll call the service center soon when I find some time.

I agree that these are not scratches. Last week, as I was making a left turn with the sun shining in the windshield with the perfect light, I heard a slight crack sound and saw the crack form on my M3. It's only visible in the perfect light and I can feel it on the inside with my nail. It started by the camera near the rear-view mirror and spread down towards the lower driver's side of the windshield. It almost seems like a film that cracked but I'm not even sure there is a film on the inside of the windshield (I haven't modified the windshield in any way).

I think there is something "weak" about the Model 3 windshield. I got a crack on mine about 1-2 week after delivery. Mine started from lower driver's side toward the center of the windshield. I am 100% sure that it was NOT a rock hit on the road. I parked that morning at work and came back with a crack. I drove the same route for over 20 years. I had many chips on windshield before, but not a crack that long (it was over 2 feet) and spontaneous cracking while parked. I have no tint on any of the windows at the time when it happened.

I think mine probably started like yours with an invisible crack and decided to have the real thing one morning. Service center said it must be a rock that hit it, so I just replaced it with my insurance. I suggest you take it to the SC asap before it developed into a real crack.

My guess is that Tesla got a load of defective windshields from someone OR there is/was a problem with the way they were installed that is overstressing them.

It seems like the case for some parts. Mine are more small 1" to 2" scratches but there are lot of them concentrated in my sight of vision. I told sc that if it was anywhere else, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Sorry for late reply. Yes they did replace the windshield as indicated above. In short they told me I caused the cracks before doing it, but I did nothing to the car.

You are describing EXACTLY what I experienced. I think it has something to do with a faulty windshield that is getting scratches from the wipers. See if you can determine the directional path of each scratch and see if it is tangential to your wiper/windshield direction of travel.

It seems like the case for some parts. Mine are more small 1" to 2" scratches but there are lot of them concentrated in my sight of vision. I told sc that if it was anywhere else, I wouldn't have an issue with it.

Be persistent about it now. Mine started out very small and over about 2-months it expanded throughout the windshield in scattered patches. Stands to reason that it would persist until I finally decided to return to the dealership for replacement.

Reactions: MaxSpeedM3