Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen blanking and re-booting while driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
With the latest software update - v9.0 - 2019.8.5 3aaa23d

Twice this week, my Model 3 screen blanked out while driving. Once on the freeway and once on a residential road. That is quite a scare when you are on auto-pilot and the entire screen blanks out and re-boots 10-15 secs later! I am on the latest version of the software

Reactions: Matt L
This is a somewhat normal abnormality. It's the display computer rebooting. It shouldn't impact any driving except that you can't see nor hear the nag reminders. Car should continue to drive, even self-drive.

Just ignore the screen and continue on it's path.

No need to go to service.

I've also had the issue for the last week, though for me it's when the car turns on, the screen never comes on and then boots up several seconds later. 3 times in the past week, all first thing in the morning, immediately after unplugging from the charger

I had the screen blank when backing into my driveway. Contacted Tesla. This was the first response:

"Thank you for contacting Tesla Customer Support. These issues are usually the result of the touchscreen being active for a long period of time and not being able to do a system refresh. This can be resolved by performing a touchscreen reboot and a power cycle.

To perform the touchscreen reboot, press in and hold both scroll wheels located on your steering wheel until the Tesla logo appears on the touchscreen. This process may take up to a minute.

You will then proceed to the power cycle of the vehicle. To perform this power cycle, which powers down every system on your vehicle, first please ensure that all of the doors and windows in your Tesla are closed.

To begin the power off sequence, Tap Vehicle Controls (car icon on bottom left corner of your touchscreen) > then tap Safety & Security. You will then tap the gray "Power Off" button. This power down sequence takes about 2-3 minutes, and while the vehicle is powering down, please do not touch any of the vehicle controls (Touchscreen, steering wheel, brake/gas pedal etc.) to allow the Tesla to completely power down.

After 2-3 minutes, power on the vehicle by pressing the brake pedal, the touchscreen or by opening the door. The vehicle should power on as normal.

If this issue occurs again, I would advise submitting a bug report. To submit a bug report, activate Voice Command on your vehicle and say "Bug Report" and include a short description of the issue you experienced. This will allow our developers to accurately pinpoint the issue you have been experiencing."​

I responded saying this is an unacceptable "feature" as I don't know if it compromises safety, especially if I were at speed. Also inquired as to how often I should reboot the vehicle. Response from Tesla:

"There is currently not a set specified time frame that a touchscreen reboot is required. However I would advise that it would be good practice to reboot the touchscreen around twice a month to minimize issues with the touchscreen.

This is normally not intended behavior, but can sometimes happen as a one of issue. If this is issue does repeat itself however, I would advise submitting a bug report as mentioned in my prior email and then reaching out to us via chat or by email. From there we can investigate the cause further.

For more information on troubleshooting, I would also recommend reviewing our Support Page here: Do It Yourself - Model 3."​

So, feel free to hit the Voice Command and say "Bug Report" since they don't seem to know (or are unwilling to tell us) why this happens.

This also occured with the latest software version.

Yeah... this is the first time since I've owned me 3 that the software has been utter junk. There is no rush to fix it either. I've had it for weeks, and called Tesla immediately after this started happening, and a fix was coming "any day now". Really disappointing.

This pretty standard behaviour for 2019.8.* and I think it's shocking that they consider this software production release quality.

I suspect that reboot without any graphical corruption first is still the same root cause (see the existing threads about screen problems on 2019.8.* already).

I' am on 2019.8.5 and I have rebooted at least 4 times. Last time was Monday driving out of my garage. Problem with that one is that my side mirrors fold in and they took until the reboot (about 4 minutes) for them to fold out. Also, garage had to be manually closed. Sucks. Have had the car for just over 1.5 months.

I’m on 2019.8.5 and my screen just froze for the first time today. Showed I was in park, 0 battery, no speedometer, map not updating or anything. Didn’t realize till I was already driving.
Rebooting seemed to fix it. I had picked up company too so it was a bit embarrassing.

This happens to me at least every other day. Realistically is closer to every other time I drive my mid range M3. I took it in to the SC and I was told there's nothing they can do about it and I have to wait for the next software update.