Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen Glitching on startup?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
a few times over the past 6 months the screen doesn't respoond when I get in the car in the morning, the air and turn signal don't work for the first few minutes of a drive. I can still drive it, though, I just couldn't signal. Is this normal?

a few times over the past 6 months the screen doesn't respoond when I get in the car in the morning, the air and turn signal don't work for the first few minutes of a drive. I can still drive it, though, I just couldn't signal. Is this normal?
Not normal.

Your car needs to have all the lights including signal lights functional even before you shift in gear.

When you wake the car up after it sleeps, there is a little delay when things are not all working as systems wake up. IF I leave the office quickly at the end of the day, my backup camera won't show an image until I'm done backing up. That only happens when I hop in and very quickly buckle up while I press the brake and put it in reverse within 4 seconds... The car sometimes shows a message asking to be patient for around 30 seconds while it boots. But it never takes 30 seconds.
If your lag is counted in seconds, I would consider this normal. If it's really minutes as you say (humans are poor at estimating time, take a stopwatch :) ) then something's wrong. I would start by rebooting the infotainment system and see if that helps.

Reactions: jjrandorin
When you wake the car up after it sleeps, there is a little delay when things are not all working as systems wake up. IF I leave the office quickly at the end of the day, my backup camera won't show an image until I'm done backing up. That only happens when I hop in and very quickly buckle up while I press the brake and put it in reverse within 4 seconds... The car sometimes shows a message asking to be patient for around 30 seconds while it boots. But it never takes 30 seconds.
If your lag is counted in seconds, I would consider this normal. If it's really minutes as you say (humans are poor at estimating time, take a stopwatch :) ) then something's wrong. I would start by rebooting the infotainment system and see if that helps.

I agree.. if its actually "minutes" that the screen is non responsive, then there is definitely something wrong. In fact, I have never seen someone post that their car takes minutes for the screen to become active on multiple drives.

I have seen, however, plenty of feedback that people try to shift immediately when they get in the car, and it takes a second or two before things become responsive. Thats been my own experience as well. sometimes as long as 2-3 seconds. Never, ever, "minutes".

If its actually longer than 10 seconds everytime the OP gets in the car, It would seem to me that there is an issue that needs to be addressed by tesla. I would start with opening a service ticket asking for the "software current for your model 3" to be re pushed to the car, in case there is software corruption. They can trigger that remotely.

Be very clear that you are NOT (repeat DO NOT) ask for "The latest version of the software that is out" or any such thing. They will likely ignore you and say "your car has the latest version its scheduled for" or something, because your request will get seen as one of the 1,000,345,982 other ones of people complaining about "I want the latest software so I can get sentry live view!" or something like that.

Be clear that you are asking for whichever version is current for your car to be RE PUSHED because you are experiencing issues with the car screen booting up / starting up.

Try that first (if its actually more than 10 seconds when you start up). If it actually IS "minutes", you need to make a service appointment and get the car looked at, sooner rather than later, as that is not normal at all.

Just an additional note... getting in the car doesn't do much. Pressing on the brake is the action that prepares the car for driving. I suggest you press on the brake as soon as you can while or immediately after getting in the car. You don't need to hold it, just press it and release. I personally do this as I'm sitting down, before I buckle up. It leaves some time for the car to "boot" while I buckle and get ready to drive. To me, those few seconds are important. IF you want to count the time it takes for your car to wake up and be responsive, count the time from the point where you press the brake.

Reactions: jjrandorin