Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen has darkening Yellow Band around entire screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
From what I am reading on here, maybe EU or AU citizens will be the only ones who get this resolved.
I shouldn't maybe jump to conclusions but it seems US consumer laws aren't going to force Tesla to do anything, you want it fixed you have to take it further yourself.
The FORD powershift transmission is a great example, The US needs a consumer led class action lawsuit (which I think is still ongoing), meanwhile over there this was settled years ago when our government led consumer watchdog went after FORD and they agreed to pay millions in fines, pay for out of warranty repairs or compensation to all owners.
Tesla will be hit with the same thing if they don't come to the party, in warranty or out of warranty, it didn't matter in the FORD case because it was defective design from day one....just like the screens.

Every time I get in my car, I am disappointed when I look at the touchscreen. I can see this dingy yellow frame around my screen day and night. Sometimes the yellow fully obscures the buttons on the bottom and right side. I am disappointed because my service center said this is the worst case of screen yellowing they have ever seen and then told me there is nothing they can do except wait for a fix. This is not a problem that firmware, magical UV lights, or mysterious chemical elixirs will fix.

I’ve had this problem since December 2018, and I am still waiting. This means that for 40% of the time I have owned this car, I have been forced to drive it with a glaring visible defect. Every time I look at my badly yellowing screen, I am disappointed because of the possible yellowing tarnished future I foresee for Tesla and the promise of what Tesla could have been. I fear they have shown their true colors. The more they get away with treating their customers badly, the more they will try to get away with it again and again. When they finally are forced to replace all these defective screens will we be so grateful that they are completely forgiven?

IMG_0430.jpeg

I can see this dingy yellow frame around my screen day and night. Sometimes the yellow fully obscures the buttons on the bottom and right side.
That's probably the worst I have seen. What has Tesla told you about this? Have they used the "cosmetic" term on you or are they just telling you to wait for 'the fix'?

If my display looked like this I would be totally bummed.:(

If Tesla told me they were not going to fix it I would be totally mad.:mad:

Reactions: PhilDavid
Every time I get in my car, I am disappointed when I look at the touchscreen. I can see this dingy yellow frame around my screen day and night. Sometimes the yellow fully obscures the buttons on the bottom and right side.

I'm wondering if yours might be a different issue. I've had the yellow border issue twice (first time replaced, the second time I now waiting for the promised cure). Both times the issue was no more than a 1/4 inch wide. And a light brownish yellow.

If it makes you feel any better, my colleague has a very similar yellowing in his MX, although mine isn't so bad in my MS.

Apparently Tesla will replace the screen if you go through arbitration - check the other threads. Would definitely do it in your case.

There's more news about this process here:

Tesla's official answer on the yellow screen : teslamotors

I still would like them to fix my defective screen in a timely manner without having to jump through arbitration hoops. I've never had to go through such a process for warranty coverage with any of my previous cars. I've had discolored/cracked wood trim in a Mercedes we owned replaced immediately with no argument or issue with none of the BS about cosmetic exclusions or blaming the defect on the sun, the weather, or humidity.

Tesla makes the best cars but I wish I could take the car to a Mercedes dealer for service as I've never had a dealer not honor warranty coverage for a defect. I realize how messed up it is to say that a car dealer takes better care of you for warranty issues...