Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screen has darkening Yellow Band around entire screen

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Despite all we are hearing I am certain Tesla will do the right thing and replace the displays under warranty, as they should.
I always find it interesting when people say things like this. What exactly makes you feel so certain that they will do that, given they have refused to do it recently and even made some people pay to replace it? Is it just a "wishful thinking" certainty, or based on some concrete reasoning?

Reactions: AMPd
I always find it interesting when people say things like this. What exactly makes you feel so certain that they will do that, given they have refused to do it recently and even made some people pay to replace it? Is it just a "wishful thinking" certainty, or based on some concrete reasoning?

Because I have seen in the past Tesla has made certain decisions that were unreasonable and reversed course and done the right thing. They should do the right thing here and replace the defective screens with clear screens. Especially considering that it is likely a matter of time until someone gets annoyed enough for not honoring a warranty repair that they go to court...

Because I have seen in the past Tesla has made certain decisions that were unreasonable and reversed course and done the right thing. They should do the right thing here and replace the defective screens with clear screens. Especially considering that it is likely a matter of time until someone gets annoyed enough for not honoring a warranty repair that they go to court...
Sadly, with Elon's latest self-created cashflow crisis, it might take an actual class action lawsuit to make them do the right thing, and even then they might just settle and therefore not admit liability, forcing consumers in each country to have to independently file their own class action (like they did with P85D horsepower complete over-specs, in Europe they settled, nothing for US customers). The second downside is that in class action lawsuits, the consumer doesn't get much, for example in FSD lawsuit people got $300 out of the $8,000 they paid - lawyers take the biggest chunk out of the settlement, so for this, after couple of years of litigation, customers with yellow screens might get $50 in compensation. That is still not "doing the right thing".

Unless of course Tesla does in fact get a full fleet of robotaxis on the roads next year, making money hand over fist, then sure, they'll start replacing screens again on their own accord. But, do you really want to take than bet (is there anyone other than Elon who believes this is even possible)?

Sadly, with Elon's latest self-created cashflow crisis, it might take an actual class action lawsuit to make them do the right thing, and even then they might just settle and therefore not admit liability, forcing consumers in each country to have to independently file their own class action (like they did with P85D horsepower complete over-specs, in Europe they settled, nothing for US customers). The second downside is that in class action lawsuits, the consumer doesn't get much, for example in FSD lawsuit people got $300 out of the $8,000 they paid - lawyers take the biggest chunk out of the settlement, so for this, after couple of years of litigation, customers with yellow screens might get $50 in compensation. That is still not "doing the right thing".

Unless of course Tesla does in fact get a full fleet of robotaxis on the roads next year, making money hand over fist, then sure, they'll start replacing screens again on their own accord. But, do you really want to take than bet (is there anyone other than Elon who believes this is even possible)?

I'm sure many of us would understand the cash flow issues so I am personally okay with a delay but I want a permanent fix that is as good as a clear screen from the factory. If they are doing some UV fix, it needs to completely remove the yellow border, not degrade or damage the screen, and offer a solution that will not cause future yellowing. Basically the warranty repair for the yellow screen defect should "as good" as a new clear display.

At least with the P85D, the car did deliver the 0-60 performance specs that were advertised.

Let's all hope they reach profitability soon so they can take care of their customers and honor warranty claims for the screen defect.

So my Ranger confirmed that they are not replacing these under warranty. That instead they are working on a way to "heal" the screen. As @PhilDavid stated they have made rash decisions and then reversed course. If they don't then I can say that when it's time to replace this MS I'll be shopping around.

So my Ranger confirmed that they are not replacing these under warranty. That instead they are working on a way to "heal" the screen. As @PhilDavid stated they have made rash decisions and then reversed course. If they don't then I can say that when it's time to replace this MS I'll be shopping around.

If this supposed heal method actually works, and is free of charge, does this not qualify as a warranty ‘repair’ ?
If the yellow is gone permanently, does it matter whether replaced or simply fixed? I wouldn’t blame tesla for choosing a cheaper repair method over an expensive screen replacement...that’s just sound expense management.

All I’ve heard for 6 months now is that they are working on a ‘permanent fix’..they never said they were working on creating a new screen which will rectify the issue. At least up here in Canada :)

If this supposed heal method actually works, and is free of charge, does this not qualify as a warranty ‘repair’ ?

If the yellow is gone permanently, does it matter whether replaced or simply fixed?
I'm not sure what your point is. Of course a healing fix would qualify, if it was available and it worked. However, there is no heal method available today, and there are no deadlines of when it will be available or even guarantees that it will ever be available. If you are asking whether promising some magic fix that nobody knows when and if will be available satisfies the warranty, then no, it does not.

And we continue to get different stories from every Ranger, from every SC. The lack of consistency is just stunning.

In fact we know what the Ranger said is not true since another owner just had his screen replaced at no charge. It never ends.

Yep. Poor communication and lack of consistency is standard Tesla. They ended up replacing the bubble-filled screen in our original MS for free even though we were out of warranty. So for now I'm going to keep my eyes and ears open and see what they do.

And we continue to get different stories from every Ranger, from every SC. The lack of consistency is just stunning.

In fact we know what the Ranger said is not true since another owner just had his screen replaced at no charge. It never ends.
The reason for inconsistencies is that there is no leadership, i.e. consistent messaging from the top. So, everyone along the way, at various levels between Elon and customer, makes it up as they go. The latest "must save cash" directive just spawned more crazy stories as managers are various levels are trying to find ways to save money. Screen replacements are expensive and there are enough of them being done, that it makes them the prime candidate for "low hanging fruit" cost cutting.

Reactions: aerodyne
What an interesting read the last few days have been. Got the yellow screen, made service appointment without checking the internet, got service appointment cancelled saying they "have a fix" but that it was delayed until end of summer and I could pay out of pocket.

THEN started checking the internet and finding out the story changes from service center to service center. I recorded the last phone call I had with the service center and sure enough was told all the same things. "Not a fault", "doesn't affect functionality", "doesn't affect new cars" but they also don't have ANY customer facing communication approved from corporate to provide customers....

My car is less than a year old... this would be unacceptable on a $20k honda, let alone a six-figure luxury car

Reactions: aerodyne
i had this replaced October 2018 and in April 2019 it came back , notified my Tesla Mobile contact i have and he said they aren't exchanging screens anymore and put me on a list for future fix they may have. i hope fix come soon, gets really annoying when friends or my kids point it out

i had this replaced October 2018 and in April 2019 it came back , notified my Tesla Mobile contact i have and he said they aren't exchanging screens anymore and put me on a list for future fix they may have. i hope fix come soon, gets really annoying when friends or my kids point it out

The service center tech I spoke to said it would probably come back even with the fix they were applying end of summer. So what they are thinking of doing isn't even a permanent (within regular wear tear) fix.. it's just to shut us up... maybe... apparently story changes.

What an interesting read the last few days have been. Got the yellow screen, made service appointment without checking the internet, got service appointment cancelled saying they "have a fix" but that it was delayed until end of summer and I could pay out of pocket.

THEN started checking the internet and finding out the story changes from service center to service center. I recorded the last phone call I had with the service center and sure enough was told all the same things. "Not a fault", "doesn't affect functionality", "doesn't affect new cars" but they also don't have ANY customer facing communication approved from corporate to provide customers....

My car is less than a year old... this would be unacceptable on a $20k honda, let alone a six-figure luxury car

I really hope it never comes to do this with a customer, but I can't imagine any court agreeing that the defective yellow screens are "not a fault" and it "not affecting functionality."

Of course, the yellow screens are defective and need to be fixed. If it is not a defect, why did they replace defective yellow screens until recently? They obviously rightly accepted the fact that the yellow screens are defective and that's why until recently such screens were replaced. So they can't now claim the screens developing an ugly yellow border that partially blocks screen content is not a defect when they themselves had accepted this as a defect.

I still have faith that they will do the right thing and replace the defective screens.

The service center tech I spoke to said it would probably come back even with the fix they were applying end of summer. So what they are thinking of doing isn't even a permanent (within regular wear tear) fix.. it's just to shut us up... maybe... apparently story changes.
Fantastic!! We now have the 21st permutation of an explanation from a SC as to what is planned and/or expected. Now even the 'impending' fix, won't last either.

It just gets better & better.