Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
HiTesla Comrades...nothing political meant there...
I see a screw in my passenger side tire
what is the proper thing to do. I believe we are not suppose to replace with normal tires ..for sound reasons? also replace 1 or 2? do we call service. I can't drive on it Tesla Serv ic 40 miles away..?
any factual advise would be helpful
Thanx in Advance

I had this happen last summer. In my case, I had to replace the tire as the screw was at the tread/sidewall transition, where the rubber thins out. The Service Center opined that the tire could have been patched if the screw was in the tread. Hopefully you may be able to patch it!

talked to Tesla roadside..I wouldn't exactly call it "help" that I received...told me as long as psi was over 30 safe to drive on. That as some of you said if screw not to close to edge or too deep a penetration was OK to patch. just the acoustical part around damage would be missing..altering my uber quiet ride somewhat.:( Random tire stores may have the same tire or it might have to be ordered. They would not do anything about coming out to my Hse. where my car was safely in the garage. I never asked if I was on hwy if that changed the situation any for them. I guess this is when you find out what the "services" actually are. We are 40 mi on expressway from a SC. I'm not comfortable driving with a tire that is now @ 31 psi (down from 36 in an hr). So my hubby will take it to a tire center & fingers crossed they have in stock, but chances are...??
Thanks for your responses..I will keep you posted

Discount Tire - free patching if in patchable part of tire.
Tesla - $50 patching fee.

If you are out driving and the tire goes flat, Tesla roadside will install a loaner wheel in many major metro areas. You then have a week to get your original tire fixed and return the loaner.