Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

screw in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rear tire of my Model Y performance (bought in June 2022) had PSI 12. found a screw in the tire. Got inflated but PSI slowly dropping again. Thoughts on having it repaired vs. new tire altogether? Also any advice on if Tesla Service Centers have Pirelli tires in stock or do they usually have to order theM?

Rear tire of my Model Y performance (bought in June 2022) had PSI 12. found a screw in the tire. Got inflated but PSI slowly dropping again. Thoughts on having it repaired vs. new tire altogether? Also any advice on if Tesla Service Centers have Pirelli tires in stock or do they usually have to order theM?
Where is the screw? Close to either sidewall? If not, take it to any tire shop and get it patched. Tesla service centers don't patch/repair.

Where is the screw? Don’t goto tesla. They will simply make you pay for a new tire.

Goto a local tire shop who specialize in tire repairs. Many will try to tell you it’s too close to the sidewall when it fact it may not be…just to get another new tire sale.

Reactions: VegasMYP
Take it to Americas Tire. They fix flats for free. I think Les Schwab does the same.

I had a new tire installed on mine. Thankfully my P had been switched to 19s. I had two screws in it. One in the innermost tread which didn't penetrate and one in the center which did. I had the tire replaced due to the foam.

They say it can be repaired just like the self sealing tires on the Bolt EV however in practice nobody wants to repair them.

I had a new tire installed on mine. Thankfully my P had been switched to 19s. I had two screws in it. One in the innermost tread which didn't penetrate and one in the center which did. I had the tire replaced due to the foam.

They say it can be repaired just like the self sealing tires on the Bolt EV however in practice nobody wants to repair them.

I had one of mine patched at a Goodyear store. It's not a problem at all. That was 30,000 miles ago.

I plugged another one myself about 12,000 miles ago and it's still going strong.

I had one of mine patched at a Goodyear store. It's not a problem at all. That was 30,000 miles ago.

I plugged another one myself about 12,000 miles ago and it's still going strong.
It amazes me how many people will happily throw away a perfectly good tire and $300.

“I had the tire replaced due to the foam” might have been an excuse 8 years ago.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I am sure it could have been patched. It was under warranty though and I was short on time to search around for someone to repair. Many shops, at least around here, I have found they don't want to repair tires that have either foam or the self sealing goo. I don't want to attempt to plug it...however rare it might be...not worth the possibility of a blow out to me.

Reactions: M109Rider
I think its tire shops that just run the we can't repair your tire so you must buy a new one scam on people and they believe it. Shops don't make much money on tire patches. Especially the ones that do it for free.

I literally just pull nails out of my OEM Tesla tires and plug them like any other tire. It works the same as every other tire I've plugged.
Plugging tires is not the proper way to fix them though. I see a lot of folks talking about plugging tires. When one jams a plug into it you have no idea what the inside of that tire looks like and that is important! The only proper way to repair is with a patch/plug system. I do a lot of driving 70mph plus highway....its not worth it. There is a reason no reputable tire shop will jam a plug in there. Plug kits exist as a temporary fix to get you to a reputable shop where the tire can be properly repaired for safe operation or replaced if the tire is damaged internally.