Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Screw puncture in brand new tire (<70mi!) repair with Tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had a similar puncture in nearly the exact same location on my Model 3. The replacement cost was exactly what you were quoted too: $356 and change. They said it was too close to the sidewall to fix. I'm taking no chances with the car so getting a new tire for $356 was the no brainer solution. Just my $0.02

RT

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
Just go to a local tire shop and it patched already... Joe the tire guy isn't interested in responding to an email for a tire patch job
This, any local tire shop will likely patch it (don't bother with big name shops), but they won't bother with your email. Also, consider going to America's Tires and buying tire certificates (road hazard package):
Certificate For Repair, Refund or Replacement | America's Tire

America's Tires will sell you the certificates without requiring you to buy the tires from them.

Happy to close this thread by thanking you all, and not listening to Tesla :)
Got great service at American Tire next to the SC this morning and was in and out in about 45min.
tire repair.jpg

It looks like they just jacked the car up with a normal hydraulic jack. I thought the Model 3 had very unique/specific jack points, and I've seen a couple forum posters making/selling specific jack pad/adapter items.

Did the tire shop have any special attachment on the jack to work properly with the Model 3?

It looks like they just jacked the car up with a normal hydraulic jack. I thought the Model 3 had very unique/specific jack points, and I've seen a couple forum posters making/selling specific jack pad/adapter items.

Did the tire shop have any special attachment on the jack to work properly with the Model 3?

Excellent question. When the roadside tow company came I double-checked with him and knew how to do since he had a few Tesla M3 already for the loaner wheel.

Today I was just excited to get it fixed so I didn't check but they assured me they do 10s of Teslas every week.

So I went to look under to see the mounting tab near the rear tire and the battery pack is fine, little bit of damage on the side plastic trim near the bottom door panel, but the mounting tab is just so freaking small!

And then I found some "blood" looking like glue underneath the battery pack, scary! Should I be concerned?

First pic: mounting tab and the door panel is on the right hand side:
down1.jpg

Second pic: red "glue" under the battery pack:

down2.jpg

Happy to close this thread by thanking you all, and not listening to Tesla :)
Got great service at American Tire next to the SC this morning and was in and out in about 45min.
View attachment 302080

...a suggestion. At Americas Tire (which I use) I bring 4 hockey pucks. I hand them to the tech and have him position them under the jack points. They use my pucks either with 4 floor jacks (like OP's photo) or their side rail lift. AT does have some rubber jack pads but they are pretty thick and don't fit between the jack points and the jack.

Hi!
I was doing my daily visual inspection of my brand new Tesla and on Saturday night I found out I have a large screw in my tire! Not even 70mi on those tires. It went in fully.

Called roadside assistance, sent me a tow truck and installed a tesla loaner wheel same size and tire.

Now tesla advisor said after inspecting the tire that it needs to be replaced, "the damage was done on the outer side of the tire".

I got a shock when he said it'll cost #356.40 for a new tire! Wow, that's a lot of money. Those tires have acoustic and green stuff aka low rolling resistance.

Tire racks sell them for $275 with shipping it's $12, then install and balancing would be another $25 maybe.

Thoughts? And does it need to get wheel alignment as wheel? Tesla said they could do wheel alignment at no cost..

Thanks!

View attachment 301272 View attachment 301273

You have 1/2 inch from the sidewall where you can fix a tire properly with a plug and a patch. You can certainly plug the tire yourself but it is not a true proper fix. It is always recommended to do a plug and a patch on the tire.

The proper way to repair a tire with acoustic foam is to simply cut a square around the area that needs to be worked on and remove the foam. The tire is the same as a normal tire otherwise.

As previously mentioned you can take your car on day one and purchase coverage from America's Tire/Discount. https://www.americastire.com/customer-service/certificates

Excellent question. When the roadside tow company came I double-checked with him and knew how to do since he had a few Tesla M3 already for the loaner wheel.

Today I was just excited to get it fixed so I didn't check but they assured me they do 10s of Teslas every week.

So I went to look under to see the mounting tab near the rear tire and the battery pack is fine, little bit of damage on the side plastic trim near the bottom door panel, but the mounting tab is just so freaking small!

And then I found some "blood" looking like glue underneath the battery pack, scary! Should I be concerned?

First pic: mounting tab and the door panel is on the right hand side:
View attachment 302112

Second pic: red "glue" under the battery pack:

View attachment 302113

I have the same glue underneath my car in various spots as well, I wouldn't be concerned about it.