Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat Back Strength - Racing Harness Ready?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That said, the only real input I can prove to your question is harness HANS compatibility is about how the shoulder straps connect on your chest. They need to fasten into a more centralized buckle that pulls the straps toward the center of your body, rather than the two separate straps that travel vertically down your chest. The intent is to avoid the straps sliding outward off your shoulders in an incident.
The geometry of the center cam lock connecting point makes sense for the normal HANS. Still a mystery to me why it would matter for a Hybrid S (as the Hybrid S does require the over shoulder straps to be retained by the headrest, as in the Model 3 stock seat, or the harness strap holes of a racing seat.)

I looked at it after realizing the QuickFit Pro wouldn't be allowed at some events, but haven't gone any further than reading on their website. I'm concerned about the seat collapsing as well and feel like I'm trading safety with being held in place. Ultimately the right long term investment is a proper seat and harness installation, but that isn't cheap.
Agreed. I wish the stock seats weren't so darn comfortable (cushion and heat) around town.
On track I slide the seat far enough forward to brace myself with my left foot on the dead pedal. And I have to lean the seat farther back from normal to not have my head pushed too far forward with a helmet. Bleck.

The geometry of the center cam lock connecting point makes sense for the normal HANS. Still a mystery to me why it would matter for a Hybrid S (as the Hybrid S does require the over shoulder straps to be retained by the headrest, as in the Model 3 stock seat, or the harness strap holes of a racing seat.)
I suspect Schroth’s true focus is on traditional HANS devices that are restrained by compatible shoulder harnesses, and I suspect they simply haven’t tested their with the Hybrid S enough to assume the high liability if one is involved in a crash.

In the same way we are sort of operating in the gray by using E90 harnesses, I don’t think it would be inherently unsafe or wrong to use non-HANS Quick Fits with a Hybrid S.

Reactions: Zippy_EV
I talked to HMSMotorsport (the Schroth North American importer) and suggested that Schroth test the Model 3 seats as the vehicle is quite capable and becoming more popular on track. I also talked to them about the Rallye 3 harness and asked them why it wouldn't work with the Hybrid S. They gave a bunch of what I consider non-answers such as "it's not been tested" and told me the Hybrid S was designed to work with 3 point belts. (I found that statement odd considering the Hybrid S is compatible with 5-7 point harnesses.)

I talked to Simpson Racing about their Hybrid S and they didn't know of a reason that any harness wouldn't be compatible with the Hybrid S. In general, the concept of the Hybrid S does not rely on the belts for the head and neck protection.

So basically I haven't heard a valid reason why the Rallye 3 wouldn't work with the Hybrid S. But without official testing / support, nobody will make the statement that the combination is safe and it appears multiple groups (PCA included) aren't willing to let people use the combination. I personally would certainly be willing to assume the risk for myself if the group I was driving with allowed it as I think this is the most conservative combination for sticking oneself to the stock seats.

FWIW I have the Schroth Quick Fit Pro and Schroth Hans device and I've used both at several track events. Everything worked perfectly.
The hardware bolts in easily to the side of the seat and the rear seatbelt anchor.

The harness easily slips under the seat headrest and holds you into place perfectly. I can tell you the confidence of having this and being able to not have to worry about holding yourself in place using the steering wheel, door and foot brace with all the G-forces shoving you all around the place is really something else.

For the concerns regarding seat back strength.. I'm sure Tesla ran some stress tests in house using simulations of all body types, shapes, sizes and weights and although it's not been tested by Schroth that doesn't mean that it would necessarily fail. They key is that the seat must have an adjustable head rest that allows the harness upper belts pass through and rest squarely on your shoulders. (i.e. you wouldn't be able to use this harness with let's say the model s seat - which has a headrest fully integrated into the seat and is not adjustable)

I can tell you that I felt much safer with the harness than without it. Also the combination of the harness and hans will protect your neck and head if you ever get in a collision.

FWIW I have the Schroth Quick Fit Pro and Schroth Hans device and I've used both at several track events. Everything worked perfectly.
The hardware bolts in easily to the side of the seat and the rear seatbelt anchor.

The harness easily slips under the seat headrest and holds you into place perfectly. I can tell you the confidence of having this and being able to not have to worry about holding yourself in place using the steering wheel, door and foot brace with all the G-forces shoving you all around the place is really something else.

For the concerns regarding seat back strength.. I'm sure Tesla ran some stress tests in house using simulations of all body types, shapes, sizes and weights and although it's not been tested by Schroth that doesn't mean that it would necessarily fail. They key is that the seat must have an adjustable head rest that allows the harness upper belts pass through and rest squarely on your shoulders. (i.e. you wouldn't be able to use this harness with let's say the model s seat - which has a headrest fully integrated into the seat and is not adjustable)

I can tell you that I felt much safer with the harness than without it. Also the combination of the harness and hans will protect your neck and head if you ever get in a collision.
We all certainly concur with the huge benefit of the harness in keeping you in the seat. The ongoing concern is mostly about the ability of the seat back to remain upright as your torso applies tension to the straps in a forward crash. If the seat back collapses, the downward angle of the shoulder straps applies significant compression of the spine.

I think we are all banking on that it is probably okay… Tesla makes high quality, safety-centric vehicles with seats built to handle 600 instantaneous HP, so we know they are built tougher than the seats of the 90s economy cars that specifically generated these seat-failure fears. Still, it hasn’t been formally tested so there is always some unknown.

We all certainly concur with the huge benefit of the harness in keeping you in the seat. The ongoing concern is mostly about the ability of the seat back to remain upright as your torso applies tension to the straps in a forward crash. If the seat back collapses, the downward angle of the shoulder straps applies significant compression of the spine.

I think we are all banking on that it is probably okay… Tesla makes high quality, safety-centric vehicles with seats built to handle 600 instantaneous HP, so we know they are built tougher than the seats of the 90s economy cars that specifically generated these seat-failure fears. Still, it hasn’t been formally tested so there is always some unknown.
I understand the concern about the seat.. honestly I've never seen this issue in the 20 years I've been at the track with various drivers at the track running the schroth products. What I have seen is neck injuries, whiplash and injuries from individuals limbs and even helmets making contact with parts of the car because they weren't probably restrained during high speed maneuvers, acceleration and deceleration.

• Love
Reactions: Lindenwood