Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat comfort upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently sat in a Mercedes Benz with massaging seats that were extremely supportive and comfortable. It really was an incredible experience.

My ‘14 S has the gen 2 seats. I find the support to be decent and looks are great. Decent sporty type seats. But there just isn’t enough cushion for my rear, and the headrests are also hard as a rock.

I was thinking about buying one of those massaging seat cushions and an add on pillow for my headrest. But I’m afraid that the massager might look ghetto and might not actually be comfortable long term. But if I can find a combo that puts me in heaven, I can justify the looks.

Any suggestions on improving the comfort of the seats?

I am in a similar situation. I have a 2015 and always found the gen 2 seats in mine adequate. However, when Tesla lent me a Jaguar XF over the summer, I was blown away with how comfortable and supportive they were. I immediately started considering seat upgrades like yourself. A month later, I got a 2018 75D loaner and hated the seats. I found them stiff and the bolsters bothered my back compared to my 2015. It’s an area where Tesla is inferior to other luxury cars and while the general consensus is they have improved their seating over the years, it’s still not at the same level of others.

Some guy(Preston Power) posted on the FB group he just spent $3500 on his model 3 getting new Ferrari leather upholstering (not sure if it’s just the color of a Ferrari leather or similar quality). Since I don’t find my seats uncomfortable, I will probably deal with them, but for next car, I want better.

I am in a similar situation. I have a 2015 and always found the gen 2 seats in mine adequate. However, when Tesla lent me a Jaguar XF over the summer, I was blown away with how comfortable and supportive they were. I immediately started considering seat upgrades like yourself. A month later, I got a 2018 75D loaner and hated the seats. I found them stiff and the bolsters bothered my back compared to my 2015. It’s an area where Tesla is inferior to other luxury cars and while the general consensus is they have improved their seating over the years, it’s still not at the same level of others.

Some guy(Preston Power) posted on the FB group he just spent $3500 on his model 3 getting new Ferrari leather upholstering (not sure if it’s just the color of a Ferrari leather or similar quality). Since I don’t find my seats uncomfortable, I will probably deal with them, but for next car, I want better.

Tesla seats are absolute garbage compared to BMW, Audi, Merc, etc...

I’m hoping they make some big improvements in the next few years as this was a giant step down for me.

I had a BMW 328xi before my MS, and I didn’t feel that way, but other models I’ve sat in from Lexus and Jaguar especially, it’s noticeable.

There is a big difference in the seats available in a 3 series vs a 5 or 7.

They also have different tier options available.

It’s not like Tesla where your option is the same crappy seats wrapped in fake leather or cloth.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum
There is a big difference in the seats available in a 3 series vs a 5 or 7.

They also have different tier options available.

Seats are very subjective. I have owned multiple BMWs from 3series to 6 series and while I liked those seats, I can't say that they were overall any more comfortable (to me!) than my Tesla seats. BMW seats were high quality leather that held up extremely well but were still in what I would say were "sporty"/stiff. I know some BMW seats have the built in massage unit, but I didn't get that. If I had, then I'd probably like those more. I personally hope that Tesla considers adding cooling and massage as standard in the future (I know they have had ventilated seats at various times but then pulled them...don't remember if those are back again now or not).

Although I find Lexus seats very comfortable (and Lexus vehicles overall very comfortable), I guess I like a bit firmer/sportier seat myself. There are people on this forum that loved the original Gen1 Tesla seats that didn't have much bolstering and were pretty "flat". I had those seats in a loaner and didn't like them personally. But some people do. Everyone likes what they like in seats I guess.

Ideally, we'd have more options for seats. But with Tesla constantly trying to simplify things and eliminating previous choices, I don't expect we will have a choice of seats (other than color and -maybe- textile vs pleather) in the foreseeable future.

• Love
Reactions: mbhforum