Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seat material and sticking like leather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking at getting a new model Y but wondering what the feel of the seats are like. Wife hates leather due to the sticking to it feeling.
Do Teslas polyurethane material do the same thing?

We live in a hot state so sweating is a daily occurrence and there will be skin contact with the seats...

anything/any material will stick to sweaty skin unless she can float over the seats like MagLev.
Since Tesla has no fabric seat option, she will hate it.
My wife hates the skin contact with seats, so I bought the seat cushion that can mitigate the issue. Also, it is a good idea to carry a towel in the car so that she can put it on the seat to prevent the skin to seat contact.
Other than that, there is no way around it.

The Tesla seat covering in the Model 3, Model Y is made of a woven petroleum based fabric (maybe polyurethane, maybe rayon) that looks and feels like soft leather. The seats in the Model Y are heated but are not power ventilated or cooled. The fabric breathes; you can easily observe this if you place a few drops of water onto the seat surface (the water penetrates into the padding layer.) Best bet would be to get the white seat option to help lower the temperature of the seats in daylight.)

The Model Y's seats feel basically the same to me as most leather seats I've been on, and I do get a bit sweaty in it when the weather is really hot during the summer months. This is in Minnesota, so I'm guessing it'll be worse in Texas. Fortunately for me it's not much of an issue most of the time since we generally don't get prolonged heat spells.

There are some seat covers out there with built in fans to ventilate the seats, and I tried one recently. Unfortunately mine apparently had an issue and the control box was overheating and seemingly started melting/deforming the back of it, so I'm afraid to try other similar products now.

Yeah, they are sticky and sweaty in hot weather just like the majority of coated leather seats in most cars. I really wish they were heated/cooled or at least power ventilated. The upside is that they are exceptionally easy to clean as they have no holes or fabric to absorb sweat/stains. I mitigate the problem by starting the AC 15 minutes before I intend to drive it if the car has been sitting outside.

Yeah, they are sticky and sweaty in hot weather just like the majority of coated leather seats in most cars. I really wish they were heated/cooled or at least power ventilated. The upside is that they are exceptionally easy to clean as they have no holes or fabric to absorb sweat/stains. I mitigate the problem by starting the AC 15 minutes before I intend to drive it if the car has been sitting outside.
Or don't wear shorts or wear shorts that cover your thigh.

I have a Model 3 with the vegan seats in white...it’s hot here in the South of France...inside can get upto 60 Celsius according to the app...and we wear shorts most of the year and so far haven’t had any problems...the ability to pre-chill the cabin to absolute zero is a huge help. I’ve had sticky leather seats before. Sometimes it’s just luck, your height, your length of shorts, the size of the seat etc mean there’s never any contact other seats in other cars might be different. I also wear singlets and my back doesn’t stick