Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seatbelt Detection

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,
Weird question that hopefully someone knows about. Have a 2018 5-seat Model X. Installed a forward facing child seat using the latch system and snapped the anchor on the hook behind the seat. Everything seemed fine until tonight. I noticed that the car started beeping intermittently. I could see that it detected that someone was not strapped in the back. It seems that the car expects that if there is weight detected, that the normal seatbelt should be used. I double checked the manual and it said to use the seatbelt for the child seat (instead of the latch system) if the weight of the child + the seat is over 65 lbs. This is not the case for my child. Anyone else experience this? Bad sensor?

This is normal. The manual saying over 65 lbs is about the strength of the latch system (it's rated to safely secure up to 65 pounds total in an accident), not the sensor. If your carseat is latched so well that the detection is constant, you can clear this at the start of each drive by holding the left wheel in until it clears, and it won't come back. If the detection is intermittent, this won't work because the warning will keep coming back each time it is redetected. Beyond that, the workaround here is to have a seatbelt clicked in for that seat. The seatbelt doesn't have to go through the car seat; it doesn't even have to be that seat's seatbelt.