Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Second dashcam setup. Yay or nay?

Should I install second dashcam?

• Yay

Votes: 29 60.4%
  • Nay

Votes: 19 39.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In your opinion, did it decrease the video quality as a result? Do you have any dashcam footages that you can share? That would be great.
It didn't have a noticeable effect on video quality. In fact, the Blendmount is a little bit shorter than the EDR-AUTO mount and sits a little bit further from the windshield. However, the EDR-AUTO mount visibly moves up and down when driving over a non-smooth road. The Blendmount is solid and you can even buy an extension segment for it to move the Blackvue closer to the glass.

I have TWO sets of the DR-750S-2ch setup to capture the front, rear, and sides of my car. This was a good thing since sentry mode has been really messing up the last few updates
Me too. I have two sets of 2 channels Blackvue's. Simply put, you can't have too much security. If you can do it, do it. Even if they are inexpensive ones, some/any are better than none. We have no way of knowing how many would be thugs see an extra dash cam and walk away.

Should I install second dashcam?
Absolutely !!!

The most important reason is that a dashcam should constantly record and save videos.

This is the main issue that I have with the Tesla dashcam.

When you experience a close encounter situation you will almost always forget to save the event.

In a recent Tesla software update, the last 10 minutes get automatically saved if you hit the horn but this is not sufficient.
I think pressing brutally on the brake pedal should also save any recorded videos.

Note: I don't understand why the Tesla dashcam don't constantly save recordings like any other dashcam?

In the case of constant recording, when the memory is full, the videos should automatically overwrite old ones,
unless marked as saved or because an event was detected during the cording.​

Last edited:
Reactions: BigNick
...the front Blackvue is stealthily mounted out of my sight behind the rearview mirror with a Blendmount made specifically for it.

img_20181219_120608-jpg.618902
This is a very clean install !!!

I used the bracket included with the Blackvue dashcam and use the 3M tape to stick the dashcam to the windshield.
Later on, to make the dashcam even less noticeable, I attached the dashcam to the rear mirror mount using two small screws.
The two holes are very small and almost not noticeable, in case I remove the dashcam when selling the car.
I liked the Blendmount aluminium mount, but I find it a little bit pricey.

Blackvue Mirror  Install .jpg

Last edited:
Me too. I have two sets of 2 channels Blackvue's. Simply put, you can't have too much security.
If you can do it, do it. Even if they are inexpensive ones, some/any are better than none.
We have no way of knowing how many would be thugs see an extra dash cam and walk away.
I almost been in a T-Bone hit at a traffic light when the light went green, lucky me I was able to stop in time.
When I checked my recording, I noticed that there would have been no way to read the license plate of the other vehicle.
I am since considering adding some side cameras in case of a hit and run in a T-Bone accident.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki
I have a dual Blackvue camera setup since before there was a TeslaCam/Sentry Mode and have left it as a backup. It records 24/7 because I wired it into the map/hazards lights harness that always has power. This circuit is monitored by the car for power consumption and recharging the 12v battery. In 2.5 years and 53k miles I haven't had issues with it nor with my 12v battery. And the front Blackvue is stealthily mounted out of my sight behind the rearview mirror with a Blendmount made specifically for it. The cable running to the rear cam is easy to hide just by tucking it under trim along the B-pillar, lower doorwell trim, and behind the rear side bolsters and deck.
how did you wire it to the light? I was told there isn't a fusebox you can easily acccess? did you happen to write up the process of installation?

how did you wire it to the light? I was told there isn't a fusebox you can easily acccess? did you happen to write up the process of installation?
You have to tap into the two wires mentioned in the video.

I used a small pigtail for the power cable made by MirrorTap (it was the MirrorTap MTX-2015), which is designed for you to be able to insert one of their pins into the wiring connector without having to do anything special. However, even their smallest pins were too big for that connector and I broke them trying to insert them in. So I just spliced and soldered the wires for the dashcam power cable to the map light wires. Here is the MirrorTap that I used, but you can probably find a short power cable for your dashcam at a lower cost somewhere else and just cut and wire that in Power Cord, MTX Series, Patented, 15 inches long, DC Plug, 2 Amp Inline Fuse with Military Grade Taps.

Reactions: Colsla
Absolutely !!!

The most important reason is that a dashcam should constantly record and save videos.

This is the main issue that I have with the Tesla dashcam.

When you experience a close encounter situation you will almost always forget to save the event.

In a recent Tesla software update, the last 10 minutes get automatically saved if you hit the horn but this is not sufficient.
I think pressing brutally on the brake pedal should also save any recorded videos.

Note: I don't understand why the Tesla dashcam don't constantly save recordings like any other dashcam?

In the case of constant recording, when the memory is full, the videos should automatically overwrite old ones,​
unless marked as saved or because an event was detected during the cording.​
Horn honk, sudden braking, ABS engagement, violent swerve, or it the cameras detect an extended digit held out the window. All of these should trigger a video save. (Turn it off for track mode where these occurrences might be intentional.)

• Funny
Reactions: elf9