Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Secondary users don't have roadside assistance option in the app?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

arnolddeleon

Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2012
SF Bay Area
Referral Code
I couldn't find a forum for the app so I went with Model 3 one since that is what I have.

Secondary or additional users (what is the official term for them?) appear to not have access to "Roadside Assistance" in the Tesla app.

My wife has her own Tesla account. Her account account is associated with the Model 3 we share. Last night she had a tire go low while on a road trip. When I asked her to click on "Roadside Assistance" in the app she couldn't find it. I verified that it was in my app. I ended sharing credentials with her and when she logged in using my credentials the option appeared.

The problem with car ended up being a cracked wheel. I talked to Roadside assistance last night and they found her a service appointment at the Santa Barbara location which was 3 miles from her hotel. This morning they took care of it for about $400 (parts and labor) and while the car was there the service center took care of charge port dead pin swap out that is a warranty item.

We use my account for both users. But that definitely seems like a bug. But:

Can anyone else duplicate this? Because we had the issue of roadside being missing for months for one car and wonder if it’s something weird to do with her user and not the fact she’s secondary. Who knows with Tesla.

Both my cars now have roadside but for months the 3 did and the X didn’t.

• Helpful
Reactions: jjrandorin
Yeah it is missing for my wife as well.

I just looked at this because of this thread, and can also verify that roadside assistance is missing from my wifes tesla login. Additionally, so is "schedule service".

She doesnt drive my car very often, but I can not imagine why this is missing. She can use my login (she has it, in fact), but I setup a secondary login for her to my car simply because sharing user names and passwords is a bad practice on principle. I dont have anything to hide, but we just normally dont share credentials in general.

I would not have ever thought this was an issue without someone saying something.

Thanks @arnolddeleon, @diamond.g and @boaterva for pointing this out. I am going to try to report this to tesla as it seems an extreme oversight. With that being said, there must be some reason they left it off the secondary accounts.... but this is tesla we are talking about so maybe not lmao.

I just looked at this because of this thread, and can also verify that roadside assistance is missing from my wifes tesla login. Additionally, so is "schedule service".

She doesnt drive my car very often, but I can not imagine why this is missing. She can use my login (she has it, in fact), but I setup a secondary login for her to my car simply because sharing user names and passwords is a bad practice on principle. I dont have anything to hide, but we just normally dont share credentials in general.

I would not have ever thought this was an issue without someone saying something.

Thanks @arnolddeleon, @diamond.g and @boaterva for pointing this out. I am going to try to report this to tesla as it seems an extreme oversight. With that being said, there must be some reason they left it off the secondary accounts.... but this is tesla we are talking about so maybe not lmao.
As I said, don’t be so sure it’s just not incompetence on the part of a follow-up programmer. All they have to do is say something like ‘primary user’ and not ‘any user’. If they contract out this stuff, someone may not even be aware of the concept of secondary users and boom, broken access.

Programming is hard without good QA. :D

As I said, don’t be so sure it’s just not incompetence on the part of a follow-up programmer. All they have to do is say something like ‘primary user’ and not ‘any user’. If they contract out this stuff, someone may not even be aware of the concept of secondary users and boom, broken access.

Programming is hard without good QA. :D
Surprisingly, the secondary user has the option to purchase upgrades now. Yikes! :eek: Hopefully that is removed soon.

I confirmed the Upgrade option was there and after cancelling out of the purchase, I'm not seeing it anymore. Maybe they are aware of the issue.

Closed app and reopened it and Upgrades option is back! :eek::eek:

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Here it is a year later and nothing has changed. I’m the primary user and my wife is the secondary user. I have all the functionality in my Tesla app; my wife does not have the upgrade or roadside assistance option. Plus service is different between the two accounts. The secondary user can open a service request, but all the text exchange is between Tesla and the primary user. This has resulted in tons of service confusion when my wife takes the car in for service.

Yep it is specifically called out on the support page: Tesla Account Support | Tesla

Which permissions will my additional driver have?
Your additional driver will have access to all Tesla app features except requesting Roadside Assistance and purchasing Upgrades.

If you want them to have full access I believe you can contact Tesla support and have them add the car directly to the second account as an actual owner instead of you maintaining it as an "additional driver."

This leaves one question open: because authorized drivers are covered by the Roadside Assistance program, how can they request it if the main account owner is not in the car with them? This seems to be a miss (intentional?) from the Tesla App.

This leaves one question open: because authorized drivers are covered by the Roadside Assistance program, how can they request it if the main account owner is not in the car with them? This seems to be a miss (intentional?) from the Tesla App.
Call the Roadside Assistance number via a telephone instead of using the app.

Alternatively, do as @MP3Mike suggested above and call Tesla and have them grant full access to the second account.

Yep it is specifically called out on the support page: Tesla Account Support | Tesla

If you want them to have full access I believe you can contact Tesla support and have them add the car directly to the second account as an actual owner instead of you maintaining it as an "additional driver."

I tried that, actually (contacting tesla to add the car directly to my wifes account) and they were unable to do it, even though I gave my permission as the primary owner of record in their system. Of course, tesla being tesla as far as customer service goes, its possible I just got "unlucky" and got someone who didnt know how to do it.

I only called once, but they put me on hold, checked into it, told me they would contact me by email, and a couple days later did, saying that there wasnt any way for them to do that. This was umm.. near the beginning of this thread, though.

I tried that, actually (contacting tesla to add the car directly to my wifes account) and they were unable to do it, even though I gave my permission as the primary owner of record in their system.
Before they added the option for adding extra drivers on the website, that was the standard way to share cars among multiple accounts. It's possible they no longer allow vehicles to be "shared" that way.

Nope; it's not there. Read the entire 'access' segment twice, and unless I'm really going senile at 59, it only mentions how to add and remove additional drivers :).

Also wanted to add my wife to the account (not just as an additional driver), since I bought the car for her, so I guess at some point I'll have to ask Tesla to just put her instead of me as the primary driver. In fact, I put the car on her name only, so she's actually the primary owner already. Ha ha.

Nope; it's not there. Read the entire 'access' segment twice, and unless I'm really going senile at 59, it only mentions how to add and remove additional drivers :).

Also wanted to add my wife to the account (not just as an additional driver), since I bought the car for her, so I guess at some point I'll have to ask Tesla to just put her instead of me as the primary driver. In fact, I put the car on her name only, so she's actually the primary owner already. Ha ha.

What @MP3Mike is referring to, is right there, as he mentioned. Not sure where you are reading. Here is the link:

Tesla Account Support

See below for a screenshot, look at the the second bolded line on the page "Which permissions will my additional driver have?"
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 6.07.43 PM.png

Yeah, that's exactly what I read, and what I've done. BUT it doesn't say anywhere that you can add somebody with FULL access by calling Tesla. That's what many of us are trying to accomplish, meaning adding roadside assistance and buying upgrades from their app :). By the way, there's a 3rd missing item: the chest box, so free supercharging miles (either referral ones, or free year) don't appear on their app either.

Yeah, that's exactly what I read, and what I've done. BUT it doesn't say anywhere that you can add somebody with FULL access by calling Tesla. That's what many of us are trying to accomplish, meaning adding roadside assistance and buying upgrades from their app :). By the way, there's a 3rd missing item: the chest box, so free supercharging miles (either referral ones, or free year) don't appear on their app either.
We are having the exact same issue! Just got our car today and only one of us has full access. Its very frustrating since we're both owners -- we're both on the registration and the title.