TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Securing the UMC in my public parking spot?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tdiggity, Jan 9, 2013.

1. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Hey guys,

Does anything exist that could "lock" the UMC to a NEMA 14-50 outlet? I'm hesitant to leave my UMC in my condo garage where someone could come and steal it :(

2. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Try Conntctor Protector:

http://connectorprotector.com

photo cp.jpg

I have an interest in this product

3. markb1

markb1 Active Member

I interpreted the question to be about securing the UMC while the car is not there. (After all, the UMC should be locked to the car when it's plugged in, right?) In that case, maybe you can find a padlock that will fit around the cord and around something immobile at the site.

4. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

Honestly, I don't know I'd do that if you have to ask the question of how to secure it. Copper wire is just too valuable nowadays - when you have people winching wire out of walls, an exposed UMC would be an easy target. Even with a padlock or bike lock or something holding the UMC in place, it's going to be too easy to cut it.

5. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Correct - Leaving the UMC in my parking spot while I'm driving the car.

:( yea.

Ok. New question. Where can I find a NEMA 14-50 with a cover with the ability to lock the cover down with a pad lock. The intent is to stop people from plugging in and stealing my power (even though it will be uncommon for someone to have a 14-50 device...you never know).

- - - Updated - - -

Found it:

Amazon.com: Taymac MX1050S Weatherproof Single Outlet Cover Outdoor Receptacle Protector, Grey, Vertical Flat: Home Improvement

6. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

7. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

It's more involved, but here's what I was planning to do, once my HOA approves installing the outlet. Someone on GM-volt.com did this and always thought it was the way to go. Protects and stores your EVSE and the outlet itself. Plus, it addresses one of the issues my HOA has mentioned - the possibility of people tripping over it. I have 2 spaces, so, I'd install it between my spaces so I can use it for my Volt or S. So, when its in use, no one should be tripping over it since its next to my car. And when it's not in use, it'll be stored neatly.
    EVSE_Cage.png

8. aaron.s

aaron.s Member

Robert

Bought this same outdoor outlet (on amazon) and it will be installed tomorrow. The cover is not big/deep enough to close and lock with the UMC plug + 14-50 adapter on it.....

Aaron

9. tdiggity

tdiggity Member

Looks good. Where can I get that cage?

10. jomo25

jomo25 P4398

It was custom made at a company called AC Stolen (acstolen.net). I just checked their site and it seems there are lots of broken links. So, not sure if they are still in business. But hopefully they are. Otherwise, you can probably find others who also make custom cages.

11. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Take this photo to any of your local welding shops and they should be able to reproduce this for you easily. Standard pieces and a fun project for a backyard welder!!

12. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

...or a high school shop class, if your high school still supports that kind of stuff.