Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Security, extra features?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning all, had a few questions? First of all let me say that im planning on getting the model X but wanted to know more in detail about security features of the model S, the website isnt very clear and I would love to go to a dealership and get these answered but im currently in Afghanistan and wont be back till late 2013. " Right in time to order my model X" anyways... wanted to know what if any security system is installed with the vehicle? as well as does it have push start? proximity key reader? etc? Maybe theres a thread on this already. Figure these features would also reflect on the model X

Good morning all, had a few questions? First of all let me say that im planning on getting the model X but wanted to know more in detail about security features of the model S, the website isnt very clear and I would love to go to a dealership and get these answered but im currently in Afghanistan and wont be back till late 2013. " Right in time to order my model X" anyways... wanted to know what if any security system is installed with the vehicle? as well as does it have push start? proximity key reader? etc? Maybe theres a thread on this already. Figure these features would also reflect on the model X

The key is an RFID transmitter. With the tech package when you get close to the vehicle it unlocks the doors and extends the door handles. Without the tech package you have to hit a button on the keyfob to unlock the door handles. Then you just get in the car and shift it to drive to start moving, no "start button" or turning an ignition needed as long as the keyfob is in your pocket.

As far as the security system goes, these cars have GPS and cell phone connections. Tesla knows exactly where the cars are at all times and the states of the car. If your car gets stolen they can track it. Also, the charging plug locks to the car so no one can mess with it while you're charging. I think there may be a text message warning as well to tell you someone is messing with it, but I'm not positive on that one, maybe someone's who's taken delivery can provide more info.

The key is an RFID transmitter. With the tech package when you get close to the vehicle it unlocks the doors and extends the door handles. Without the tech package you have to hit a button on the keyfob to unlock the door handles. Then you just get in the car and shift it to drive to start moving, no "start button" or turning an ignition needed as long as the keyfob is in your pocket.

As far as the security system goes, these cars have GPS and cell phone connections. Tesla knows exactly where the cars are at all times and the states of the car. If your car gets stolen they can track it. Also, the charging plug locks to the car so no one can mess with it while you're charging. I think there may be a text message warning as well to tell you someone is messing with it, but I'm not positive on that one, maybe someone's who's taken delivery can provide more info.

I'm not sure about the "If your car gets stolen they can track it" part. Tesla has not confirmed this capability. I recall reading that Tesla didn't want to enter into this arena. I believe that they can be asked to locate the vehicle if requested by law enforcement, but didn't guarantee that they would do so. The smart phone app should eliminate the need for Tesla to have to get involved though unless there is a way to disable the feature within the Model S. The app can locate the car in real time, at least it did so on the youtube video posted several months ago.