Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seek suggestions to install an at-home charger for model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I just had the Tesla Gen3 wall connection installed in my garage. I had a subpanel already and the entire job cost $720 and the electrician did an outstanding job. It took about 2 hours. So now I am waiting on MY, still have no vin number or delivery date and getting ok with not getting it before the end of the month. Atleast I am ready, I have another car to drive and I am practicing patience today.

model Y LR AWD red w/black interior

Reactions: willow_hiller
@studio1539, are you able to get at least 40 amps from your setup?

My situation is similar to @Tobin's where I have a detached garage (~100 feet from the main line) and my garage electrical panel can only do up to 20 amps -- the incoming grade of the wire is 12 gauge. I'm waiting for a response from the Tesla installer/electrician that I had previously exchanged emails with to see if that's doable. However, based on what's in Wall Connector, if I just had the Tesla installer/electrician install a 240-volt outlet then I could technically get 3.8 kwH (240v * 16 amps max output).

Am I thinking about this the right way, or am I complete off?

@studio1539, are you able to get at least 40 amps from your setup?

My situation is similar to @Tobin's where I have a detached garage (~100 feet from the main line) and my garage electrical panel can only do up to 20 amps -- the incoming grade of the wire is 12 gauge. I'm waiting for a response from the Tesla installer/electrician that I had previously exchanged emails with to see if that's doable. However, based on what's in Wall Connector, if I just had the Tesla installer/electrician install a 240-volt outlet then I could technically get 3.8 kwH (240v * 16 amps max output).

Am I thinking about this the right way, or am I complete off?
Well, that would be correct if you are planning for that one incoming 20A circuit to be wholly dedicated to your charging and not running any other circuits from it for lights or other outlets. Otherwise, you would have to split that up, and there's not really much splitting you can do of 20A.