Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking Long Commute Advice: Real World Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,
I have had my Model 3 SR+ for about a month but last week was my first week back at work commuting 72 miles each way 100% highway and I was looking for some real world advice on how to be as smart as possible with my range. When I get to work I have just about 52% remaining and the trip planner says I would be able to make it home with 21% remaining without charging. While I have access to free 3/kW charging at work which makes things nice and comfortable, I worry about the margins if and when that charging source might not be available. I will lay out my detailed situation below, and have read all of the articles regarding scheduled charging, not using the heater, etc but would love some real world best practices from those of you with solid commutes. And before anyone says "Well you should have purchased the LR model", I agree but the SR+ was the right fit for me financially... Thanks!

At Home:
-Scheduled charging/departure set up within 10 minutes of my departure time.
-HVAC pre-conditioning the car before departure, and turning off the heat while driving and using the seat heaters instead.
-Charging to 90% (220mi) *Charging to 95% would increase my margins significantly, and being all highway I barely get any regen while cruising, would this be terribly detrimental to battery longevity keeping those factors in mind?*
-Cruising on the highway between 70/74mph, obviously slower is more efficient, but I have to balance efficiency with safety on the New York State Thruway, where 65mph speed limit means everyone is going 80-90mph.
-V3 Supercharger less than a mile from my house.

At Work:
-Free 3/kW charging via a TMC I got out of the junkyard and repaired, via a plug in our workshop.
-V2 Supercharger within 5 miles of our facility (I only plan on using this in dire situations)
-Plans in the works for future company supported 7/kW charging stations but that's looking like at least 6-8 months from now due to COVID.

Again, many many thanks!

Reactions: Punjabi510
My situation was similar to yours except the commute was 50 miles each way, superchargers were 15 mins away from work and I have an LR AWD.

The bottom line from my first read is this: Planning to arrive at home with 20% each day is fine, especially since you have a "Get Out of Jail" card 5 miles away from work if something comes up.

I schedule overnight charging starting at 2:30am to 80%. Keep it simple.

In my experience, the three largest factors in range are speed, weather conditions, and elevation changes. In an emergency you can get great range at 55mph. For me, range fades faster above 67 mph. If you have a stretch were you can safely travel slower in the right lane, that could help if needed. Rain, snow, and cold weather kill range. The larger the wheel diameter and wider the tires, the more impact there is. Summer should be better, except when it rains. Elevation changes work for you and against you so they mostly balance out on a round trip, but one way uphill can be a real range killer.

Looks like you’ve got it figured out. Charge at work if you want, hit that V2 Supercharger bear work if needed.

As you get used to the car and it’s range (most will use % btw) you’ll notice certain things that mess with your range or not. And as temps warm up you’ll be getting better range (opposite come NY winters tho, don’t forget snow tires too!)

Try placing work as the destination and stick to what the car wants you to do and use AP if you can as it’s “throttle control” is more fine detail than your foot usually (someone will tell me I’m wrong but you know what they say about opinions...)

Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Charge it to 90% and call it good.
I’ve been commuting 64 miles each way with south Texas heat(100+) With cabin temp regulation enabled and high Texas highway speeds in my performance model.

use the free charging when it’s available. Cause that is money in the bank...but 20% is a big margin of error IMO. Slow down if you get nervous coming home.

I wouldn’t be concerned. I’d love to have free charging but my work site has no actual power...that’s a stretch of things...let’s just say it’s off grid

Last edited:
Looks like you’ve got it figured out. Charge at work if you want, hit that V2 Supercharger bear work if needed.

As you get used to the car and it’s range (most will use % btw) you’ll notice certain things that mess with your range or not. And as temps warm up you’ll be getting better range (opposite come NY winters tho, don’t forget snow tires too!)

Try placing work as the destination and stick to what the car wants you to do and use AP if you can as it’s “throttle control” is more fine detail than your foot usually (someone will tell me I’m wrong but you know what they say about opinions...)

Agree about throttle control, especially in less traffic. In heavier traffic, AP seems a little less efficient with stop and go than a light touch. But Matsayz is right, if you pay attention you will recognize the patterns and what works best for you.

It sounds like your plan works for your needs just fine. If you are preconditioning right before you leave, why not charge it over the 90% during that time? You would be driving off that charge immediately and like you said, no need to worry about regen since you are highway cruising the whole time. It would probably give you a better buffer remaining when you arrive at work.

My situation was similar to yours except the commute was 50 miles each way, superchargers were 15 mins away from work and I have an LR AWD.

The bottom line from my first read is this: Planning to arrive at home with 20% each day is fine, especially since you have a "Get Out of Jail" card 5 miles away from work if something comes up.

I schedule overnight charging starting at 2:30am to 80%. Keep it simple.

Thanks! Seeing the battery icon flip from green to yellow can be worrisome but I will get used to it...

The first rainy/windy day I might give it the extra charge. That will reduce your range. Winter weather as well, when the time comes. But 20% when you reach home is great for normal days. You've got some nice backups available, and if all else fails, driving 70 MPH instead of 74 MPH should be enough to squeeze out extra miles if you have to.

What is 3/kw ?

As for using the SR+ for a 150 mile commute:
Not worth a thought unless you drive *really* fast, and in that case you may have to slow down a little during e.g. a headwind. The winter might be more of a challenge depending on how you use the car's heating functions.

Charge it to 90% and call it good.
I’ve been commuting 64 miles each way with south Texas heat(100+) With cabin temp regulation enabled and high Texas highway speeds in my performance model.

use the free charging when it’s available. Cause that is money in the bank...but 20% is a big margin of error IMO. Slow down if you get nervous coming home.

I wouldn’t be concerned. I’d love to have free charging but my work site has no actual power...that’s a stretch of things...let’s just say it’s off grid

Wow thats some great insight, I really really appreciate it! I realize how lucky I am to have access to charging at work, I am an aircraft mechanic so charging up my Tesla is a drop in the bucket compared to having a fleet of aircraft powered up in the hangar everyday on ground electric power carts (28v, 400hz, 200amps each aircraft x 6)

3/kilowatts per hour = 16 mi/hr charge rate.
Ah,

You are trying to say 3 kWh per hour, so 3 kW.
I think your car is rated for about 220 Wh/mile so assuming 16 miles/hour is correct then your charge connection is pushing
16*0.22 = ~ 3.5 kW into the battery, so about 3.5/0.88 = 4 kW is pulled from the meter.

~ 4 kW on a 240v connection is ~ 16 Amps. Are you on a 20 Amp breaker ?

I have to admit that I worry about that DIY installation of yours given your unfamiliarity with basic units of electricity. Did you happen to get someone to review your work ?

Ah,

You are trying to say 3 kWh per hour, so 3 kW.
I think your car is rated for about 220 Wh/mile so assuming 16 miles/hour is correct then your charge connection is pushing
16*0.22 = ~ 3.5 kW into the battery, so about 3.5/0.88 = 4 kW is pulled from the meter.

~ 4 kW on a 240v connection is ~ 16 Amps. Are you on a 20 Amp breaker ?

I have to admit that I worry about that DIY installation of yours given your unfamiliarity with basic units of electricity. Did you happen to get someone to review your work ?

So I am fully versed on electricity as an aircraft maintenance technician, and my charging solution is not a DIY setup but simply a Tesla Mobile charger plugged into a L6-20 20amp outlet in our welding shop. The number I gave were directly from the Tesla app while charging. Thanks so much for the information, I greatly appreciate it! *absolutely and positively zero sarcasm there. I mean it, in aviation we are always checking each others work...*

My advice: Set the charging limit to 90% and forget about it. Since you're charging at work, you've got nothing to worry about. In case you have a problem there, you can always hit the Supercharger on the way home. No big deal. You've got the belt & suspenders approach covered. No need to make yourself freezing cold in the winter, either. That charge at work will be perfect. Use the car and enjoy it.

Stay safe out there... I'm on the other side of the Hudson but it's no better here. At you at SWF?

My advice: Set the charging limit to 90% and forget about it. Since you're charging at work, you've got nothing to worry about. In case you have a problem there, you can always hit the Supercharger on the way home. No big deal. You've got the belt & suspenders approach covered. No need to make yourself freezing cold in the winter, either. That charge at work will be perfect. Use the car and enjoy it.

Stay safe out there... I'm on the other side of the Hudson but it's no better here. At you at SWF?

I used to be at SWF, it was fantastic with only a 9 mile commute (I rode my bicycle most days), but now I commute from Dutchess County down to MMU

Since you already own the car, the next question is how long are you planning to have it. If you are planning on driving it till it will never drive again then I would stick to no more than 90% to maximize battery life. If you are going to get rid of it in 5 years then charge it to 95% so you dont have to worry. I see youre in NY as well so when the cold hits I would charge right up till you know how much range you are going to lose. You very well might have to charge to 95+ to make it there and back on a cold day.

What is 3/kw ?

As for using the SR+ for a 150 mile commute:
Not worth a thought unless you drive *really* fast, and in that case you may have to slow down a little during e.g. a headwind. The winter might be more of a challenge depending on how you use the car's heating functions.
This is what I was thinking. The M3 is the most efficient Tesla there is right now. Even with the SR, a commute of 75 miles each way shouldn't cause the OP a cause for concern at all. I only took one road trip in my M3 during the 2018 summer. While the layout was predominantly flat, it was 90F+ (had the A/C set to 70F) and I was averaging 75-80 mph the entire way. I saw a whopping 10% drop in overall range and this was with the 19" sport wheels.

Every once in a while I consider going back...