Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Seeking suggestions on what year model S to purchase

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This week I test drove the 2020 long range model S and it’s fantastic vehicle but pricey. I drive 140 miles to work and back five days a week, or about 2800 miles a month. My biggest concern is the initial depreciation over the first 24 months.

So as an alternative I was considering purchasing an used model S a couple of years old that is long range an option. Not interested in a model 3.

Any suggestions? Thanks

They put me in a performance model S with Ludacris+ for my test drive. Can’t remember the last time something plastered me to the back of the seat when I hit the accelerator. :)

The car priced out at 90k with optional paint, interior and full self driving auto pilot.

They put me in a performance model S with Ludacris+ for my test drive. Can’t remember the last time something plastered me to the back of the seat when I hit the accelerator. :)

The car priced out at 90k with optional paint, interior and full self driving auto pilot.
When you get your new S and you want to stomp the accelerator, just remember to put the cover on your coffee, secure your phone and put any other loose items in a secure position. Then look around for a Dodge Hellcat whose driver wants to play. Then do another look around for the cops. ;)

It’s really not a function of how much I want to spend, rather it’s a function of where I get the best bang for my buck considering I’m going to be putting 30,000 miles a year on the car. That really impacts the depreciation of a 2020 model. My thought was maybe a 2016, 2017, or 2018 might be a reasonable alternative that still affords self driving capability and comfortable seats.

Reactions: E Dizzle
It’s really not a function of how much I want to spend, rather it’s a function of where I get the best bang for my buck considering I’m going to be putting 30,000 miles a year on the car. That really impacts the depreciation of a 2020 model. My thought was maybe a 2016, 2017, or 2018 might be a reasonable alternative that still affords self driving capability and comfortable seats.
I'd stick with my suggestion then as late 2016 90D would have AP2 hardware as would early 2017 100D. The 2016 or even an early 2017 might still have free transferrable Supercharging for life. I loved my 2016 90D but definitely appreciate the added range on my 2017 100D. Older models before March 2018 still have MCU1 but should be upgradable to AP3 eventually. They have depreciated more than newer models. I can't think of anything major that a 2018 would add besides MCU2.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
When you get your new S and you want to stomp the accelerator, just remember to put the cover on your coffee, secure your phone and put any other loose items in a secure position. Then look around for a Dodge Hellcat whose driver wants to play. Then do another look around for the cops. ;)

Also.. don't forget the kids in the backseat and their seat belt :p:D

Also.. don't forget the kids in the backseat and their seat belt :p:D
Good idea. And actually, if you want to beat up on the competition, it would be useful to have someone in the right seat doing cop spotting. True story: A long, long time ago, the alternator on a Plymouth Valiant me and a few other poor sailors drove from Long Beach, CA, to San Francisco sort of blew up in the Bay Area. It seemed to generate enough power to run the car but not the car plus the lights, so we headed back south well over the speed limit. I tasked one guy to cop spotting. We made it back before sundown without a speeding ticket. A day or so later, we...uhhh...borrowed an alternator from some other Valiant. Shame on us. The Navy didn't pay us enough to buy a new one.

• Funny
Reactions: KCapital
I'd stick with my suggestion then as late 2016 90D would have AP2 hardware as would early 2017 100D. The 2016 or even an early 2017 might still have free transferrable Supercharging for life. I loved my 2016 90D but definitely appreciate the added range on my 2017 100D. Older models before March 2018 still have MCU1 but should be upgradable to AP3 eventually. They have depreciated more than newer models. I can't think of anything major that a 2018 would add besides MCU2.

thanks a lot for your input it’s really appreciated.

@Flybywire Just to give you some perspective - I got a 2016 S75D 4 months ago. It's fully loaded with every single option other than the upgraded stereo and 21 inch wheels. It has AP1/MCU1

The original buyer had only driven it for 16K miles and I got it for about half of what he paid it for it new 3 years ago (and I got a brand new full 4 year/50K miles warranty from Tesla). I can't think of a better value than that. Its not blisteringly fast as a Performance model, however for daily driving and the occasional fast acceleration, its no slouch at all (it does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds).

The only thing I would change now (if I were to trade it in today) would be to get a Performance model - 2016 P90D as they are almost the same cost now compared to what I paid for mine 4 months ago. Hope that helps your value question.

Late to the game-
If there is some way to receive the transferrable supercharging (a very confusing, vague, and controversial topic)...I definitely agree with MorrisonHIker. I bought a used '16 90d with all upgrades and the bigger perk of FUSC beginning of the year. I would've loved a performance model, but I'm kinda like you where I commute a lot...city and a lot of fwy peak traffic times. For me it felt like a waste to go for a performance model because of the price difference, the lower range, and the fact i'd barely be able to enjoy it...
One thing I noticed later on though, was the 90Ds had higher rate of battery degradation as opposed to people with '16 85Ds, where the range was comparable. I think it depended on mostly on if the 90d was produced in the earlier months or what not.

Sorry to ramble--but in short; if youre looking for bang for the buck and can get something with transferrable FUSC....the 100d would be the best...otherwise I'd look into both '16 85s and 90s.

Would love to hear what you decide!

This week I test drove the 2020 long range model S and it’s fantastic vehicle but pricey. I drive 140 miles to work and back five days a week, or about 2800 miles a month. My biggest concern is the initial depreciation over the first 24 months.

So as an alternative I was considering purchasing an used model S a couple of years old that is long range an option. Not interested in a model 3.

Any suggestions? Thanks
depreciations should not be a big concern with electric cars (as it is with ICE cars). You'll be saving thousands each year on fuel and maintenance (vs a comparable ICE car) that will reduce the depreciation impact. The sooner you start using electric the better!

Reactions: MichaelP90DL

MCU2 was a pretty big deal for me. MCU1 is like a 6 year old iphone, MCU2 is like a.. 3 year old iphone :D

• Funny
Reactions: MichaelP90DL
MCU2 was a pretty big deal for me. MCU1 is like a 6 year old iphone, MCU2 is like a.. 3 year old iphone :D
iPhone 3 vs 6: Same software w/minor omissions and different hardware... difference a few hundred bucks.
Tesla MCU1 v MCU2: Same software w/minor omissions and different hardware... difference tens of thousands of dollars.

There's a reason this is a debate. Most can't see paying several tens of thousands more for a 5% better buffer in daily use enjoyment.

For me, not only do I not want to take the higher hit on a newer car but I also can't justify the price difference for slightly quicker browser load times when I never use that feature anyway. I know there's other minor differences as well but I merely picked one to demonstrate my point. None of the differences are life changing and I can buy 2 MCU1 cars for the price of 1 MCU2 car. Does MCU2 really make it double the car to justify the price difference? Of course not.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
iPhone 3 vs 6: Same software w/minor omissions and different hardware... difference a few hundred bucks.
Tesla MCU1 v MCU2: Same software w/minor omissions and different hardware... difference tens of thousands of dollars.

There's a reason this is a debate. Most can't see paying several tens of thousands more for a 5% better buffer in daily use enjoyment.

For me, not only do I not want to take the higher hit on a newer car but I also can't justify the price difference for slightly quicker browser load times when I never use that feature anyway. I know there's other minor differences as well but I merely picked one to demonstrate my point. None of the differences are life changing and I can buy 2 MCU1 cars for the price of 1 MCU2 car. Does MCU2 really make it double the car to justify the price difference? Of course not.

i've had both, and its quite noticable IMO. Better ride quality, better built cars. Tesla takes their iteration upgrades like its nobody's business, making it also oh so compelling to always just go a year younger.

When I purchased other used cars in the past, it was like.. 2010-2015 no difference, just gimme the cheapest one i can find. But for tesla its always been that few months newer can mean the world. so when you said you can buy two MCU1 cars for the price of 2, you must mean like super huge generational gaps.