Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-Driving and Parking Meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jsrawa

Apr 11, 2016
Colorado
I was thinking today about self-driving with Elon's ambitious projection of 3-6 months. They have said your car can drop you off at say the front door of a building and go park itself. Well what happens if there is a meter, a parking time limit, etc.? I suppose they could use the cameras to search for signage but it seems like a difficult scenario to overcome especially in a city setting with so many variations.

Well, you'd probably get a parking ticket.

Initially you'd only want to use drop-off self-parking where you know parking is free: in office parks for example. Or where your car has a parking decal or your plate number is registered, etc.

However many urban areas already have app-enabled parking meters. That lets you pay from your phone. Given sufficient demand, it's easy to imagine integration with the car itself. Say your car sends its plate number to the parking system, along with its location. Maybe it can read the stall number from a camera, or maybe using something like RFID or bluetooth. The parking system would look up your plate number, find your account, and send a notification to your phone. Then you'd approve payment, and you wouldn't get that parking ticket.

Most of the pieces for a system like that are already available — but the problem doesn't exist yet, so neither does the solution. Maybe that's a business opportunity for some enterprising person.

I was thinking today about self-driving with Elon's ambitious projection of 3-6 months. They have said your car can drop you off at say the front door of a building and go park itself. Well what happens if there is a meter, a parking time limit, etc.? I suppose they could use the cameras to search for signage but it seems like a difficult scenario to overcome especially in a city setting with so many variations.

Don't expect this scenario to occur in the next 6 months. It will be years before a car can navigate an urban environment to the point it will be allowed too legally