Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self parking ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How Park Assist Works

Model Y is designed to detect the presence of objects. When driving slowly (for example, when parking), the vehicle alerts you if an object is detected in close proximity of your Model Y. The vehicle alerts you when objects are detected in front of Model Y when you are in Drive, and behind Model Y when you are in Reverse.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-005E1645-B0F5-49A0-9C59-44828B60D184.html

Autopark

Autopark detects potential parking spaces based on the following parameters:

Perpendicular Parking
  • Your driving speed must be below 8 mph (13 km/h). If driving too fast, Autopark may not be able to accurately detect your desired parking space.
  • The parking space must be at least 7.2 feet (2.2 meters) wide.
  • The parking space must have at least three visible lines for the vehicle to park into, such as parking lines, road markings, or distinct curbs. Autopark may not work in a garage, for example, without three visible parking lines.
  • Autopark may not work with textured road surfaces such as cobblestone or brick.
Parallel Parking
  • Your driving speed must be below 13 mph (21 km/h). If driving too fast, Autopark may not be able to accurately detect your desired parking space.
  • There must be a vehicle in front of the space you want to park in.
  • A distinct curb or edge must be visible. Autopark may not correctly identify the parking space if the curb is not distinct, such as grass or dirt.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-0C763E08-D0B8-4404-8180-1054F635C08C.html

There is no reference to smart park. I assume you mean smart summons which I don’t think works now unless you have older HW (2018 ?). I consider it vaporware at this point unless someone proves me wrong.

Smart Summon​

This feature may be temporarily limited or inactive until it is enabled with a future software update for vehicles manufactured as of approximately late May 2023.

Note Depending on market region, vehicle configuration, options purchased, and software version, your vehicle may not be equipped with Smart Summon, or the feature may not operate exactly as described.

Smart Summon is designed to allow you to move Model Y to your location (using your phone's GPS as a target destination) or to a location of your choice, maneuvering around and stopping for objects as necessary. Smart Summon works with the Tesla mobile app when your phone is located within approximately 213 ft. (65 meters) of Model Y.

Smart Summon maneuvers Model Y out of parking spaces and around corners. This is useful for moving Model Y out of a tight parking spot, through puddles, or helping you retrieve your car while carrying packages. You must maintain a clear line of sight between you and Model Y and closely monitor the vehicle and its surroundings at all times.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-9A8A9E74-FDAF-4278-BD92-FCB58A4266BA.html

Upvote 1
I was under the impression one could use the come to me tab and the car would arrive at your location. In reality the car stops and goes, takes the long way and often gets stuck and shuts down. The go to target rarely works as described. But thanks for clarifying the park features.

Upvote 0
How Park Assist Works

Model Y is designed to detect the presence of objects. When driving slowly (for example, when parking), the vehicle alerts you if an object is detected in close proximity of your Model Y. The vehicle alerts you when objects are detected in front of Model Y when you are in Drive, and behind Model Y when you are in Reverse.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-005E1645-B0F5-49A0-9C59-44828B60D184.html

Autopark

Autopark detects potential parking spaces based on the following parameters:

Perpendicular Parking
  • Your driving speed must be below 8 mph (13 km/h). If driving too fast, Autopark may not be able to accurately detect your desired parking space.
  • The parking space must be at least 7.2 feet (2.2 meters) wide.
  • The parking space must have at least three visible lines for the vehicle to park into, such as parking lines, road markings, or distinct curbs. Autopark may not work in a garage, for example, without three visible parking lines.
  • Autopark may not work with textured road surfaces such as cobblestone or brick.
Parallel Parking
  • Your driving speed must be below 13 mph (21 km/h). If driving too fast, Autopark may not be able to accurately detect your desired parking space.
  • There must be a vehicle in front of the space you want to park in.
  • A distinct curb or edge must be visible. Autopark may not correctly identify the parking space if the curb is not distinct, such as grass or dirt.
https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-0C763E08-D0B8-4404-8180-1054F635C08C.html

There is no reference to smart park. I assume you mean smart summons which I don’t think works now unless you have older HW (2018 ?). I consider it vaporware at this point unless someone proves me wrong.

Smart Summon​

This feature may be temporarily limited or inactive until it is enabled with a future software update for vehicles manufactured as of approximately late May 2023.

Note Depending on market region, vehicle configuration, options purchased, and software version, your vehicle may not be equipped with Smart Summon, or the feature may not operate exactly as described.

Smart Summon is designed to allow you to move Model Y to your location (using your phone's GPS as a target destination) or to a location of your choice, maneuvering around and stopping for objects as necessary. Smart Summon works with the Tesla mobile app when your phone is located within approximately 213 ft. (65 meters) of Model Y.

Smart Summon maneuvers Model Y out of parking spaces and around corners. This is useful for moving Model Y out of a tight parking spot, through puddles, or helping you retrieve your car while carrying packages. You must maintain a clear line of sight between you and Model Y and closely monitor the vehicle and its surroundings at all times.

https://www.tesla.com/ownersmanual/modely/en_us/GUID-9A8A9E74-FDAF-4278-BD92-FCB58A4266BA.html
So this is all the same for a M3?

Upvote 0
ya, in m3 it basically scans the lot via gray scale image camera ?........seeks a open spot, via yellow/white parking lines and then a magic blue P appears (but not always ?) press the P and it parks backwards. Apparently front parking into a spot requires human interaction......I blame A.I.

Upvote 0
I was under the impression one could use the come to me tab and the car would arrive at your location. In reality the car stops and goes, takes the long way and often gets stuck and shuts down. The go to target rarely works as described. But thanks for clarifying the park features.
While I don't use it a lot, the times I have used Smart Summon, it has worked pretty well for me.

Upvote 0
Try it out in parking lot with other cars-u stand 200 meters and tell me how it responds
Well, for starters, you're supposed to do it within about 65 meters: read @holmesm1's post above, which he copied out of the Tesla manual

And most of the time I use it is in parking lots with other cars. I am smart enough to not use it if a lot of people are walking or driving past. But I accept that there are practical limitations.

Upvote 0
whats the difference between come to me feature and go to target. Seems go to target does not work or when it tries, it just drives around and stops quickly (no where near set target).

Is go to target for parking with no driver ?. I assume its not go to target department store.

Upvote 0
Does the auto park feature work with HW3?
It is not a function of whether you have HW3, but:
  • You need to have EAP or FSD - while most of the cars in the US (and it works in parts of Canada from what I understand) currently have at least a trial of FSDx at the moment, prior to this trial, EAP or FSD was required
  • For a while, it did not work in cars without USS (Ultrasonic Sensors). I am not 100% clear whether this has changed
  • It has never really worked all that well (but admittedly, I have not tried it in a while)
  • There was an announcement last month that Elon decided to change the name of Autopark to "Banish". I hope this happens - I like it!
  • But as a direct answer to your question: yes. I have HW3 and prior to the Free FSD trial, had EAP
1713203404720.png

Reactions: nicksp
Upvote 0
  • For a while, it did not work in cars without USS (Ultrasonic Sensors). I am not 100% clear whether this has changed
We have 2021 MYLR with FSD paid for. It has USS. Used to be very difficult to trigger auto park feature. With recent FSD V12.3.4, it's easier to see parking option pop up than before. However, our 2023 M3P, vision only, also has FSD V12.3.4 free trial at this time. Auto park with vision is much better with many more choices/locations to pick to park. MYLR with USS normally only showed one option/choice to park at a time.

Upvote 0