Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2016 Model X Parking Assist Unavailable, yet highway autopilot is working just fine?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Parking Assist Unavailable, yet highway autopilot is working just fine. How is this possible?

Doesn't highway autopilot use the sensors as well? How would it even be possible for this to work if the parking assist does not?

I think, up until late 2022, Tesla Autopilot did use ultrasonic sensors (USS) along with cameras and other sensors. However, as of October 2022, Tesla has transitioned to relying solely on their camera-based system called "Tesla Vision" for Autopilot in most regions.

You know what I just figured it out. It was the front license plate. This is still odd though because it never interfered with anything before, and had been working fine since i got the car. I had one of those brackets that don't require you to drill into the bumper, and it stays about an inch or so away from the front bumper. I guess overtime the weight of the bracket must have messed something up or idk what but maybe after i took it a nontouchless car wash and it pulled and bent the license plate and that somehow interfered with the USS or something idk.

Moderator note: Merged from a separate thread.

In short, if you have a front license plate and your tesla uses Ultra SOnic Sensors it can interfere with it and make the message come up. This is probably more so true if you're like me and didn't want to drill holes into the front bumper to use the standard plate holder, and bought the license plate holders that extend the license plate out about an inch or so from the front bumper.

I guess when i first installed it there were no issues, but now 10 months later it came up and was bugging the crap out of me. I ranted to SC about it, and dam near sold the car just because of it. They wanted to charge me 500 bucks to fix it. So there you have it, if you have tried soft and hard resets and tested to see if all the sensors are working fine and they are but are just clueless as to what's going on then try removing the front license plate and use a different holder for it.

MX 2016.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: scottf200
Did it show something in the 'service menu' about those sensors? I recall a screen showing if then were in a non-error state but don't recall if they showed sensing something.
I've tried that but the 2016 MX I had doesn't have that feature that shows me all the USS so unfortunately i couldn't do that. I just had my gf put the car in D and hold brake while i went around all the sensors with my finger to feel a vibration. They were all vibrating.

the holder i used was from Torklift.

Last edited: