Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to manually turn on park assist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, when I approach my garage at home, park assist does not automatically turn on. There is nothing on my screen, as if I were driving slowly on a road. If I stop and shift to reverse, the parking assist visualization comes on, but this is awkward.

Is there a way to tap the screen somewhere to turn on park assist, so I can see the fuzzy blobs that are supposed to represent the looming side of the opening of the garage? This would also be handy in many other parking scenarios, when park assists does not just pop up on its own.

So, when I approach my garage at home, park assist does not automatically turn on. There is nothing on my screen, as if I were driving slowly on a road. If I stop and shift to reverse, the parking assist visualization comes on, but this is awkward.

Is there a way to tap the screen somewhere to turn on park assist, so I can see the fuzzy blobs that are supposed to represent the looming side of the opening of the garage? This would also be handy in many other parking scenarios, when park assists does not just pop up on its own.
Not that I know of. A garage doesn't meet the requirements for park assist to work, like lines.

I actually do not need the car to park itself, though that would be nice since I am so peripheral-impaired. I just want to turn on the visualization before I enter the garage (eventually it turns on deep within the garage).

I have HomeLink on auto. It opens the garage as I enter the driveway but has no effect on bringing up the park assist screen. I am also well below 4 mph when entering the garage---nothing.

On my VW e-Golf, there was a button to activate the park assist screen. Maybe Tesla should put a command somewhere on that big screen to do this function, too.

Mine intermittently activates and deactivates when I pull into the garage. It seems to trigger when there is something 5' or so in front of the car.
This is a good point. There is nothing that is blocking my way until I am well within the garage, so perhaps there are no triggers for the screen to materialize. Nevertheless, Tesla, if anyone monitors these forums, please put a button to activate this screen manually!

This is a good point. There is nothing that is blocking my way until I am well within the garage, so perhaps there are no triggers for the screen to materialize. Nevertheless, Tesla, if anyone monitors these forums, please put a button to activate this screen manually!
Thinking about it, it can be active as I'm driving down the road. I've seen lines around the edges of the vehicle when close to curbs/walls.
AFAIK, it's there when it needs to be.
If you never get close, why do you need it?

I often need it when it isn't there. Per my original post, I'd like to see this screen while driving into my garage, so that I can avoid getting too close to the wall (and the stuff lining it). I have also often noticed delays in the screen appearing when approaching parking spots and in tight quarters, where there are objects around the car but there are no curbs, lines, or things directly in front of the vehicle to trigger the screen to appear.