Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-referral benefits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You really are missing the whole point here. No one is doubting you, we’re all in agreement that you and your “friend” got your referral credits. All we're saying is that seems to be a mistake so just move on and stop insinuating others will get referral credits as well.
I simply replied with what happened to me, not insinuating, as there’s seems to be a glitch somewhere on Tesla’s system, depending on several variables. We cannot say for sure others won’t get it, as my “friend” and I did get it, even though we were not supposed to. That’s the nature of a glitch.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Teslas direct information, on their website:

==========================

• How can I check if I am an existing customer and am already part of the Tesla community?
    If you own one of the following products, you have already joined the Tesla community:
    • Model S
    • Model 3
    • Model X
    • Model Y
    • Solar panels
    • Solar Roof
    • Note:
    If you transfer or remove all qualifying products from your account, you will not receive referral credits when your friend orders their first Tesla product and you will lose any unredeemed referral credits in your account.
  • I have solar panels, Solar Roof and/or Powerwall. Can I use my friend’s referral link to receive referral credits for a Tesla vehicle?
    If you already own a qualifying Tesla energy product as an existing customer, you cannot use a friend’s referral link. As a loyal customer, you can earn loyalty benefits by purchasing qualifying Tesla products in the Tesla app.
  • I have a Tesla vehicle. Can I use my friend’s referral link to receive referral credits for solar panels or Solar Roof?
    If you already own a qualifying Tesla vehicle product, you cannot use a friend’s referral link. As a loyal customer, you can earn loyalty benefits by purchasing qualifying Tesla products in the Tesla app.

======================================

So, yeah, if you and your friend both own Tesla products and got referral credit (not loyalty credit), pretty clearly a mistake. Tesla does make mistakes all the time though.

Since a single car can be shared with multiple accounts for app purposes, I wonder if all accounts that can see and control that car in their app are considered existing customers? For example, when I purchased a Tesla for my mother, I did it on my account, and it's still in my account so I can keep track of things, even though the car is in another state. To give my mother access, I had her create an account, and give her access and control only to her car, but not to our Tesla vehicles (so as to not confuse her). Is she also considered an existing customer?

Same question for my wife's account, her car was also purchased on my account, but I provided her access to both our Tesla's, and not to my mothers. My wife's account has never purchased any Tesla products...