Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-referral benefits

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going to order a Performance MY today to replace my 2018 Performance M3. It’s hard to let the M3 go since it has nontransferable lifetime supercharging and connectivity, but it’s time for a change. Here’s my question… should I use my own referral code or my friend’s? Will I get all of the benefits of the referral, or just the $500 discount? My friend really wants me to use his code, and I don’t know if I’ll be losing anything by doing that.

I’m going to order a Performance MY today to replace my 2018 Performance M3. It’s hard to let the M3 go since it has nontransferable lifetime supercharging and connectivity, but it’s time for a change. Here’s my question… should I use my own referral code or my friend’s? Will I get all of the benefits of the referral, or just the $500 discount? My friend really wants me to use his code, and I don’t know if I’ll be losing anything by doing that.
Hi Todd, I just did the same thing, and asked the Sales advisor if I could get both the referral and customer rewards if I sent myself the code. I was told I only get the customer reward, so I used a code from a friend who also has a Tesla. I don't need the 3 months of FSD because I am transferring that from our Model 3, and from what I have read today, I won't be able to use FSD anyway until they release an 11.4.X version on a higher base version for cars equipped with Hardware 4.

wont matter, your friend won’t get the Benefits since referrals only work if the person who was referred is new to tesla.

Make sure you hold on to your M3 so you can transfer FSD.

FSD Transfer FAQs

wont matter, your friend won’t get the Benefits since referrals only work if the person who was referred is new to tesla.

That doesn't matter - your friend will not get the referral benefit as you already owned a Tesla (at least that is the consensus).

Possible workaround might be to have someone else in your household order the new Tesla.
He did get the credits though, so it does matter.

Note: To earn buyer benefits, you must purchase a qualifying Tesla product with a referral and have never owned a qualifying Tesla product in the past. To earn referral credits, you must own a qualifying Tesla product.

Of course, this is Tesla so your mileage may vary.

Not really, as I’ve ordered my MSP using a referral code from a friend that owns a MYLR.
I love your thumbs down on all the correct responses. If you are already a Tesla owner and buy a Tesla, you will only get the loyalty benefits of $500 off and 3 months of FSD.
If your friend referred you and you do not have any Tesla products (solar or car) then your friend would get 10,000 credits since you would be a new Tesla customer.

I love your thumbs down on all the correct responses. If you are already a Tesla owner and buy a Tesla, you will only get the loyalty benefits of $500 off and 3 months of FSD.
If your friend referred you and you do not have any Tesla products (solar or car) then your friend would get 10,000 credits since you would be a new Tesla customer.
Funny … I’m on my third Tesla and have a Cybertruck on order, then again you know better.

• Disagree
Reactions: cdswm3
Funny … I’m on my third Tesla and have a Cybertruck on order, then again you know better.

This certainly sounds like someone who is already in the "Tesla Family" so per Teslas currently published information, you should only get loyalty credits, and your friend should not have gotten referral credit. It says so right on Teslas website.

Of course, since this is not your first Tesla, you also know that Tesla is sometimes a cluster!#@$ and makes mistakes on this type of stuff. If you did get credit, you should just be happy about it and go on about your business for getting a freebie you were not supposed to get, instead of trying to say that people quoting Teslas posted information are wrong.

Reactions: cdswm3 and Kairide
This certainly sounds like someone who is already in the "Tesla Family" so per Teslas currently published information, you should only get loyalty credits, and your friend should not have gotten referral credit. It says so right on Teslas website.

Of course, since this is not your first Tesla, you also know that Tesla is sometimes a cluster!#@$ and makes mistakes on this type of stuff. If you did get credit, you should just be happy about it and go on about your business for getting a freebie you were not supposed to get, instead of trying to say that people quoting Teslas posted information are wrong.
not a mistake maybe, as my friend is also on his second Tesla + Solar at this house, so loyalty credits worked for both of us then, not the same for first buyers or single owners.

• Disagree
not a mistake maybe, as my friend is also on his second Tesla + Solar at this house, so loyalty credits worked for both of us then, not the same for first buyers or single owners.

Teslas direct information, on their website:

==========================

• How can I check if I am an existing customer and am already part of the Tesla community?
    If you own one of the following products, you have already joined the Tesla community:
    • Model S
    • Model 3
    • Model X
    • Model Y
    • Solar panels
    • Solar Roof
    • Note:
    If you transfer or remove all qualifying products from your account, you will not receive referral credits when your friend orders their first Tesla product and you will lose any unredeemed referral credits in your account.
  • I have solar panels, Solar Roof and/or Powerwall. Can I use my friend’s referral link to receive referral credits for a Tesla vehicle?
    If you already own a qualifying Tesla energy product as an existing customer, you cannot use a friend’s referral link. As a loyal customer, you can earn loyalty benefits by purchasing qualifying Tesla products in the Tesla app.
  • I have a Tesla vehicle. Can I use my friend’s referral link to receive referral credits for solar panels or Solar Roof?
    If you already own a qualifying Tesla vehicle product, you cannot use a friend’s referral link. As a loyal customer, you can earn loyalty benefits by purchasing qualifying Tesla products in the Tesla app.

======================================

So, yeah, if you and your friend both own Tesla products and got referral credit (not loyalty credit), pretty clearly a mistake. Tesla does make mistakes all the time though.

Teslas direct information, on their website:

==========================

• How can I check if I am an existing customer and am already part of the Tesla community?
    If you own one of the following products, you have already joined the Tesla community:
    • Model S
    • Model 3
    • Model X
    • Model Y
    • Solar panels
    • Solar Roof
    • Note:
    If you transfer or remove all qualifying products from your account, you will not receive referral credits when your friend orders their first Tesla product and you will lose any unredeemed referral credits in your account.
  • I have solar panels, Solar Roof and/or Powerwall. Can I use my friend’s referral link to receive referral credits for a Tesla vehicle?
    If you already own a qualifying Tesla energy product as an existing customer, you cannot use a friend’s referral link. As a loyal customer, you can earn loyalty benefits by purchasing qualifying Tesla products in the Tesla app.
  • I have a Tesla vehicle. Can I use my friend’s referral link to receive referral credits for solar panels or Solar Roof?
    If you already own a qualifying Tesla vehicle product, you cannot use a friend’s referral link. As a loyal customer, you can earn loyalty benefits by purchasing qualifying Tesla products in the Tesla app.

======================================

So, yeah, if you and your friend both own Tesla products and got referral credit (not loyalty credit), pretty clearly a mistake. Tesla does make mistakes all the time though.
well, we’ll take it, mistake, referral or loyalty… here’s the screenshot when I used his code when ordering my MSP on 9/9 … it even showed “referral applied” 🤷🏻‍♂️

Attachments

• IMG_9700.jpeg
    IMG_9700.jpeg
    206.4 KB · Views: 140
  • Disagree
well, we’ll take it, mistake, referral or loyalty… here’s the screenshot when I used his code when ordering my MSP on 9/9 … it even showed “referral applied” 🤷🏻‍♂️

I am not doubting you got something. I am just saying that you should just go on about your business, being glad that you got the proverbial Monopoly "bank error in your favor" card, vs telling people who are posting Teslas rules they are incorrect. What happened for you isnt going to happen for everyone.

You really are missing the whole point here. No one is doubting you, we’re all in agreement that you and your “friend” got your referral credits. All we're saying is that seems to be a mistake so just move on and stop insinuating others will get referral credits as well.