TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Self-tinting windows

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by graham, Mar 1, 2009.

1. graham

graham Active Member

Stumbled across this article when looking up articles about Tesla's pending government loans. This is very cool (literally). I wonder if they will be affordable?

Smart Windows Open Up More Funding for SAGE Earth2Tech

[​IMG]

2. Joseph

Joseph Member

I guess we're too advanced to use curtains.

3. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

They don't explain what (if any) the advantages are over existing smart glass. It's been around for a number of years.

4. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

You see both of these alot on boats. Boaters use them when they are at dock to keep privacy but un tint them when they are at sea to let the light in. I am thinking that this is what will be on the roof of the Model S.

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

On SpaceX.com there is a video tour of their facilities and their meeting room(s?) have glass walls so you can see if they are empty, but when you go inside the walls frost up like that for privacy.

Meeting rooms with "in use" indicators don't work as well as sometimes they say "in use" when no one is actually inside anymore.

But how much does that technology cost?

6. ChargeIt!

ChargeIt! Member

Believe it or not ( I didn't when I first saw it !) ... my wife and I walked into a clothing store in the Galleria Shopping Mall in Roseville, CA a few months ago and noticed the changing rooms at the back of the store with see-thru glass. When we inquired ... the sales person showed us how the glass turns frosty/opaque when you lock the door from the inside !! In a clothing store ! :confused: (Don't remember the name, but it wasn't exactly a high-end place either.) So ... how expensive could it be ?

7. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

A tripped breaker or malfunctioning door switch could lead to some real wardrobe embarrassment there!