Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Self-tinting windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Stumbled across this article when looking up articles about Tesla's pending government loans. This is very cool (literally). I wonder if they will be affordable?

Smart Windows Open Up More Funding for SAGE Earth2Tech

SAGE’s windows are made with an all-ceramic stack of thin-film coatings on a glass substrate. A low voltage of DC power can switch the windows from letting in more than 60 percent of visible light, down to less than 5 percent. The DOE has said that electrochromic windows can cut air conditioning costs by up to 20 percent per year in commercial buildings.

sage_skylight1.jpg

On SpaceX.com there is a video tour of their facilities and their meeting room(s?) have glass walls so you can see if they are empty, but when you go inside the walls frost up like that for privacy.

Meeting rooms with "in use" indicators don't work as well as sometimes they say "in use" when no one is actually inside anymore.

But how much does that technology cost?

Believe it or not ( I didn't when I first saw it !) ... my wife and I walked into a clothing store in the Galleria Shopping Mall in Roseville, CA a few months ago and noticed the changing rooms at the back of the store with see-thru glass. When we inquired ... the sales person showed us how the glass turns frosty/opaque when you lock the door from the inside !! In a clothing store ! :confused: (Don't remember the name, but it wasn't exactly a high-end place either.) So ... how expensive could it be ?