Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sell my 2016 Model S or not....

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Chopr147

Apr 3, 2016
Wantagh, NY
I have recently been going back/forth in my mind about selling my model S which I have had for 5 years + now. I do NOT want a 3 or Y or spend over 100K on another S. I LOVE the car, a 75D but maybe i've had my fun with it. It's past it's warranty and 3 years left on the battery is a selling point. The times of never waiting to Supercharge is coming to an end. I'm thinking one more Winter of cold feet (never could fix that issue) will convince me. I want a good pickup truck to replace it , not a Ford Lightning. The best advantage by far for Tesla is Superchargers. I don't want an EV that I can't go long trips with so, any other EV is not an option for me. It's back to good 'ol petrol. Anyone one out there want a well-cared for "uncorked" 2016 Model S? :) Only 72k miles. I have had very few issues in my 5 years of Tesla ownership and give Syosset NY service center a "thumbs up" They have been good to me. Good for Tesla. I have been seeing so many 3's and Y's on the road here on Long Island.
Do I really want to be filling up each week again?

avatar doesn't show front of your car (same color we had on our 2016 S75 ... which we bought as a 60, then upgraded to avoid sales tax ;) ) Reason i mention the front (side) of your car is because there was an upgrade that year. Your price will depend on whether you have AP1 or AP2 - as the AP2 came later in the year. Can't see from your picture if the sides have cameras which indicate AP2. That would determine whether or not you'd sell for more or less.
happy decision making!

Right now we are dealing with inflation out of control, just look at real estate and building materials lately. This is not a longterm stable market. Now would be a bad time to sell buy a new car IMHO.

Besides the EV explosion is just around the corner, imagine the wonderful options when competition heats up for good. My smarter than me neighbor quickly lapped up a 69k MS Long Range in late 2020 when Elon showed off to Lucid, imagine the pricing when all makers will have EVs and every surviving gas station will feature EV charging.

Thanks for the responses. IK 2 months later. Had issues signing in to forum and gave up..............for 2 months. :)
I have the refresh front bumper but not AP2 which came out about a month after I received my car in August 2016. AP1 has always been good to me so, no regrets. I was checking classifieds and damn! It's up again. Not much for less than 45k. I always said I don't want this car w/o the warranty but, knock on wood, it has been trouble free. Normally at some point I tire of a vehicle and it's time to sell. This car has given me pause because I know I will miss it. Initial plan was to buy a Model 3 but, I just don't like the ride and prefer a larger vehicle. Same with the Y. I can fit a lot of sh&^ in the back with seats down. So, i'm experimenting. I parked the S at my upstate house for the next month and I will drive my 2006 F150 for the time being and see if I can handle living without it. :)

Right now we are dealing with inflation out of control, just look at real estate and building materials lately. This is not a longterm stable market. Now would be a bad time to sell buy a new car IMHO.

Besides the EV explosion is just around the corner, imagine the wonderful options when competition heats up for good. My smarter than me neighbor quickly lapped up a 69k MS Long Range in late 2020 when Elon showed off to Lucid, imagine the pricing when all makers will have EVs and every surviving gas station will feature EV charging.
I guess there will be a need for some to search out a service station and sit and wait a half hour or so to fill up their battery, but most owners will plug into their garage outlet and fill up overnight. I have not needed nor wanted to visit any "gas station" for over ten years, and I can't see them making enough profit selling the same electricity I have at home, to make it worth it to them to put in a charging center, especially since they will offer only slow charging (for a price!) And all this while Tesla superchargers are free for the big Teslas, and darned cheap for the smaller ones. No, surviving gas stations will turn into mini markets, and their gas profits will disappear.

Thanks for the responses. IK 2 months later. Had issues signing in to forum and gave up..............for 2 months. :)
I have the refresh front bumper but not AP2 which came out about a month after I received my car in August 2016. AP1 has always been good to me so, no regrets. I was checking classifieds and damn! It's up again. Not much for less than 45k. I always said I don't want this car w/o the warranty but, knock on wood, it has been trouble free. Normally at some point I tire of a vehicle and it's time to sell. This car has given me pause because I know I will miss it. Initial plan was to buy a Model 3 but, I just don't like the ride and prefer a larger vehicle. Same with the Y. I can fit a lot of sh&^ in the back with seats down. So, i'm experimenting. I parked the S at my upstate house for the next month and I will drive my 2006 F150 for the time being and see if I can handle living without it. :)

Recently my wife was driving my Model 3 for a bit, while her Volt was at the dealer for repairs. So I ended up driving our old Suburban. Burned through $150 in gas over two weeks. Reminded me once again why I don't drive it very much any more. In fairness though, I did help a friend haul some stuff that would never fit in a passenger car. So besides the occasional camping trip, it still has its uses.

I guess there will be a need for some to search out a service station and sit and wait a half hour or so to fill up their battery, but most owners will plug into their garage outlet and fill up overnight. I have not needed nor wanted to visit any "gas station" for over ten years, and I can't see them making enough profit selling the same electricity I have at home, to make it worth it to them to put in a charging center, especially since they will offer only slow charging (for a price!) And all this while Tesla superchargers are free for the big Teslas, and darned cheap for the smaller ones. No, surviving gas stations will turn into mini markets, and their gas profits will disappear.
Unless you bought your Tesla 3 years ago there is no free SC. As far as I can tell anything after 2018 is paid SC