Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling 2018 Model 3 at 100k miles - Carmax offers $22500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I already got my Model Y and now it's time to sell the Model 3. My parents purchased the Model 3 about 4 years ago in 2018 of Dec. And they are the ones who want to sell it right away and they don't want to wait around because the value may go down the more months we wait. I'm not sure if they are right, I thought if the tax incentive that expires March 31 went away, and the tax was lower or non existent, then used Teslas should have higher asking prices. But they said that will not happen.

Right now Car Max is offering $22500 for a white 2018 long range Model 3 with autopilot. 98684 miles as of now, so nearly 100k miles. They stated this is a high mile car and alot of Tesla they get have less miles.

One my friends now says he is serious about buying my used Model 3 at the Carmax price, which I don't mind, but he needs to act on it within a week. He said he will put a $5000 deposit first, we will go on our trip, when we come back, he pays the rest. He says its for his GF who is moving from Korea to USA to live in with him and she needs a car, and I believe the GF is the one who will ultimately buy it. But my parents do want that deposit or they will just go to car max at any moment and just sell the car.

I wanted to keep the Model 3 a little longer for sentimental value and so I can drive it up to 100k miles. But it's likely not going to happen if my parents are rushing to sell it. They do not like the idea of one person being with two cars, so that old car just gotta go get its money. If their logic is correct I'll just take the money and sell it sooner than let it lose value when its not being used. I wanted to wait like another 1-2 years for a refreshed Model Y and put more miles on the Tesla Model 3 but then the Model Y price cuts & tax incentive happened.

Another idea is to keep it around and then make money when Robotaxi happens. Or rent it out on car renting apps (which I have no experience with) But I don't know if it's worth gambling a guaranteed $22500 from Carmax and letting the car depreciate further.

Also the warranty I have is until 2026 or 120k miles, so does that mean at 100k on the car, there is approx 20k miles left under warranty?

Last edited:
So I already got my Model Y and now it's time to sell the Model 3. My parents purchased the Model 3 about 4 years ago in 2018 of Dec. And they are the ones who want to sell it right away and they don't want to wait around because the value may go down the more months we wait. I'm not sure if they are right, I thought if the tax incentive that expires March 31 went away, and the tax was lower or non existent, then used Teslas should have higher asking prices. But they said that will not happen.

Your parents are right.
You are wrong.

Right now Car Max is offering $22500 for a white 2018 long range Model 3 with autopilot. 98684 miles as of now, so nearly 100k miles. They stated this is a high mile car and alot of Tesla they get have less miles.

Well, that's a "Captain Obvious" statement from CarMax. Second best to my all-time favorite from them when a CarMax guy told me last fall: "you know, you are selling a used Tesla, right". No sh*t, Sherlock. What were the chances that I did not know that I wasn't a Tesla dealership!?!?>

If you are not sure about the price, get another offer from somewhere else!
Otherwise, sell it!

One my friends now says he is serious about buying my used Model 3 at the Carmax price, which I don't mind, but he needs to act on it within a week. He said he will put a $5000 deposit first, we will go on our trip, when we come back, he pays the rest. He says its for his GF who is moving from Korea to USA to live in with him and she needs a car, and I believe the GF is the one who will ultimately buy it. But my parents do want that deposit or they will just go to car max at any moment and just sell the car.

You parents are right, again.
If the guy is not willing to buy the car upfront (girlfriends disclaimers, trip delays, etc., etc.), then he is not a serious buyer.

Another idea is to keep it around and then make money when Robotaxi happens.

Why not wait till pigs fly, and need used Model 3s for when they land?

Or rent it out on car renting apps (which I have no experience with) But I don't know if it's worth gambling a guaranteed $22500 from Carmax and letting the car depreciate further.

If you've never rented out your car before, and never got used to cleaning other people's puke and cum out of your seats, this is probably not the right time to start.

Also the warranty I have is until 2026 or 120k miles, so does that mean at 100k on the car, there is approx 20k miles left under warranty?

That's how math works.

Based on the types of questions you are asking - stop procrastinating, and do what you parents are telling you to do !
(I bet you've heard that before, right?)

HTH,
a

Also the warranty I have is until 2026 or 120k miles,
If you mean "the warranty on the main battery" then yes. That covers ONLY the battery, for failure or 30% or more battery degradation as measured by Tesla. The way you wrote the statement, however, it sounds like you mean "the warranty" (in general, like the new car warranty) and thats not the case for the any part of the car warranty other than the battery itself.

If you mean "the warranty on the main battery" then yes. That covers ONLY the battery, for failure or 30% or more battery degradation as measured by Tesla. The way you wrote the statement, however, it sounds like you mean "the warranty" (in general, like the new car warranty) and thats not the case for the any part of the car warranty other than the battery itself.
Ya you’re probably right. If it’s the one that’s says 120k miles. I do remember it mentions battery.

Will that mean the next owner will need to account to replace the battery out of pocket in the cost of the car? Like an extra $10k?

I’m wondering at what point will the car be too expensive to repair that it goes to the junk yard. How long can a Tesla drive for before it’s too expensive to fix?

The battery could last longer depending on how much it degrades. The 120k is just the guarantee from Tesla. Well taken care of, they could last longer.

I'd shop all the wholesale vendors you can. CarMax gave me one of the worst offers when i was looking to sell my Y last year. Find some local ones as well as the big national ones. With the recent price drops, and the high miles, over 20k seems pretty fair but check and see if you can do better.

If your friend wants to buy it, get a non-refundable deposit. Going back to CarMax usually results in a lower bid once outside their initial window. So get at least 2k from your friend, non-refundable, and pray Tesla doesn't have another price drop to drive sales or you'll see the value go down again. If he doesn't want to give a deposit, he isn't serious and you shouldn't take all the risk.