Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Dream car Roadster #786, need advice: Buy used Model S or 3?

Which car is better overall? Model 3 or Model S?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sadly, I am going to sell my new (to me) Roadster. I bought it 7 month ago as a daily driver, about the same time as buying a condo in Washington DC. After driving in this traffic and terrible roads, I realized that the car will be terribly abused in no time and this beauty does not deserve that. No matter how much I love it! I will be selling soon and anyone looking to purchase should message me off-forum. It is a 2010 in Mint condition with 4000 miles, and has a like-new, refurbished battery pack, and comes with the sport package.

I want to purchase a used Tesla S or possibly model 3 and would like to get feedback from anyone that has owned or leased both of them. I love the S but was told by a 3 owner that I should seriously consider the 3. I have been driving 2 different Nissan Leafs over the last 9 years and am very familiar with EV’s. Been wanting a Tesla forever because of the extra range and amazing speed and handling - I have test driven the S twice and LOVE it. Thank you for your feedback!

I have owned a Roadster, S, and 3.

The 3 has better handling, between that and the smaller size it is closer to the Roadster driving experience. But the S has more space and a better ride. There are definite differences, but which one is better depends on how you are going to use it.

Here is the thread where I discuss differences between the cars: Which Tesla should you buy? A decade-long comparo: Roadster, S, X, 3

• Helpful
Reactions: croman

The 3 has better handling, between that and the smaller size it is closer to the Roadster driving experience. But the S has more space and a better ride. There are definite differences, but which one is better depends on how you are going to use it.

Here is the thread where I discuss differences between the cars: Which Tesla should you buy? A decade-long comparo: Roadster, S, X, 3

Excellent article - thank you for that. I am impressed with your long history of Tesla ownership! Mother Earth thanks you : )

We have all three in our garage...

They each drive differently, and what is common is we have RWD on all three cars, so when I get AWD loaners, those things feel "stickier" to the road, but as an ex-BMW driver, I really enjoy getting pushed by the cars...

S feels the most luxurious as far as the ride, but the Roadster is a go-kart and the 3 is a good compromise from the choice...

What are you selling your Roadster for and specs?

Thank you for your help on this. I am definitely leaning toward the S right now, but not 100%. It''s really helpful to get owner's feedback! My car is going for $60k. Is there a way to have people interested message me off-list? I didn't see that option on the forum, but if there is I can give you more details. I have not put it on the market yet but when I do, I can get all the info to anyone that is serious. Thanks again

Attachments

• 786.jpg
    786.jpg
    917.5 KB · Views: 116
Thank you for your help on this. I am definitely leaning toward the S right now, but not 100%. It''s really helpful to get owner's feedback! My car is going for $60k. Is there a way to have people interested message me off-list? I didn't see that option on the forum, but if there is I can give you more details. I have not put it on the market yet but when I do, I can get all the info to anyone that is serious. Thanks again

I've owned a Model 3 since April 2018 and love it. I like the size as it's similar to my previous car, a BMW 3 series. I had a Model S as a loaner for about a week and its definitely a bigger car (felt more like a BMW 5 or 7 series), which has it's positives like extra room and larger trunk. But, the larger size can make it harder to park in tight spots/garage or drive down narrow city streets. Both are great cars, but I prefer the Model 3.

I'm interested in your roadster and sent you a private message. (To send a private message - you click on the individual member name and then "start conversation" option.) Thanks!