Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling/Sold you car? What did you get?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am looking to get a model S or X. My question is: What did you get after you sold your Tesla? Did you upgrade or go with a non EV? TIA
Hi, I am an early purchaser with a 2013 S with 9,500 miles (we’re only here 3 months a year). I just decided to trade up to a 4wd. I requested a trade in quote from Tesla and was incredibly disappointed to get a quote of 20k. Embarrassing
I’m rethinking my thought of a new purchase..

Reactions: Roush
Hi, I am an early purchaser with a 2013 S with 9,500 miles (we’re only here 3 months a year). I just decided to trade up to a 4wd. I requested a trade in quote from Tesla and was incredibly disappointed to get a quote of 20k. Embarrassing
I’m rethinking my thought of a new purchase..
All you learned was Tesla doesn't want your trade-in. It doesn't mean your car is worth $20k. You have literally dozens of other options for selling your car any one of which will get you more than trading it in.

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming! I have been listening to a ton of videos while driving to make an educated decision. Right now I drive a 2019 M40i, which I’ll be getting rid of.

To be honest, customer service so far is frightening after dealing with other car dealerships. Days or weeks go by with no reply to my emails or questions. Here is a question: I see a 2016 MX P90D for sale with 30k miles from a random dealer. The price seems decent, but the only warranty I see is on the battery and powertrain. All these horror stories of door handles,doors,displays,etc make me want some kind of extended warranty to cover those items.

Would you all skip on the 2016 and try to get a 17 or 18 just to have the peace of mind? Thanks!

Get as new as you can. And yes I would not have a Tesla without Warranty. I bought a new X and plan to get Extended Warranty.

They do break (some more than others) and they are expensive to fix. There is no hiding that fact.

It would have to be one hell of deal for me to buy used. You lose free super charging if you buy from a dealer.

Free supercharging is not a make or break but its a nice perk.

Don't rule out new. New Suspension. Free SuperCharging. Basic Auto Pilot. Newest HW3. Full Warranty. Longest Range. Loaded with all options. Small Tax Break. Newest MCU.
I looked at used and it just wasn't worth the savings.

Get as new as you can. And yes I would not have a Tesla without Warranty. I bought a new X and plan to get Extended Warranty.

They do break (some more than others) and they are expensive to fix. There is no hiding that fact.

It would have to be one hell of deal for me to buy used. You lose free super charging if you buy from a dealer.

Free supercharging is not a make or break but its a nice perk.

Don't rule out new. New Suspension. Free SuperCharging. Basic Auto Pilot. Newest HW3. Full Warranty. Longest Range. Loaded with all options. Small Tax Break. Newest MCU.
I looked at used and it just wasn't worth the savings.
A couple of quick points of clarification followed by a long rant...

You don't lose free Supercharging if you buy from a dealer. You ONLY lose that if you buy it from Tesla. End of list. So if you see a used Tesla at a local dealership that has FUSC it will not be lost to you upon vehicle transfer. This ONLY occurs if you buy a used Tesla through Tesla.

I agree on the initial warranty as well as the warranty Tesla adds to it's used cars now and it's previous CPO program. I personally don't agree with the extended warranty being a requirement or even a good deal for that matter. The amount of money you have to let them "hold" up front is a large chunk you could otherwise invest. The deductible is too high especially considering most of the repairs you have done would have cost you far less to do yourself with basic hand tools and YouTube as your guide. I'm just not a fan of extended warranties in general and if you look at how much money those insurance companies make it should be painfully apparent why I'm not a fan. If I can't afford to fix things that go wrong with it out-of-pocket I shouldn't be buying it in the first place. This are small financial considerations you can make that go a long ways towards not having to worry about money again. I digress.

FUSC is a non-issue to many but it's a major marketing point. This means that in the future it may help you sell your car when you can tell someone it includes FUSC. They may not realize how little it actually saves them but that's beside the point. They'll love how it sounds and it WILL help you sell your car if you choose to sell it private party... which you should. See my previous point about little things you can do if your goal is financial independence.

As for buying new... hell to the no! The depreciation hit you take on new cars (of any brand) is horrendous. Buying a new $100k car will almost guarantee a $50k loss over the next 4-5 years. That's $10k per year gone. If you value your enjoyment and keeping up with the Jones's to be $10k a year, fine. Personally, I will never have a net worth where I'm comfortable losing $10k per year per car in depreciation. Isn't worth the savings? You're crazy to think that a car that gets you maybe 5-10% better user experience on a day-to-day basis isn't worth saving $10k or more per year in depreciation.

Personally, I buy 4-5 year old cars that were well care for that have everything I want at a great price. I then try to drive those cars for many many years spreading the depreciation over more years which makes it easier to swallow. The P85D I'm driving now cost the previous owner nearly $150 when brand new. I bought it for about a third of that less than 5 years later. That means that the original owner LOST over $20k per year in vehicle depreciation. That's a hard number not some made up guess we're talking about. The idea that some are willing to sign up for a loss of $10k-$20k per year in vehicle depreciation is mind boggling to me. Tell me more about how good of a deal that $7,500 tax credit was to that person. ROFL This car I bought is incredible and is 90% of the car that a brand new Model S Performance would be at a fraction of what the price would be (especially last year when I bought it) so it's not just a "little" more for the new bits you mentioned. I also got a full bumper-to-bumper warranty from Tesla.

I'm getting off on a bit of a tangent here but too many Americans make the mistake of buying the most car they can afford monthly which is the absolute worst thing you can do if you're concerned about your financial position in life. Being as it will be the first or second largest purchase people make in their lives they need to get smarter about it.

You don't lose free Supercharging if you buy from a dealer. You ONLY lose that if you buy it from Tesla. End of list. So if you see a used Tesla at a local dealership that has FUSC it will not be lost to you upon vehicle transfer. This ONLY occurs if you buy a used Tesla through Tesla.

I agree on the initial warranty as well as the warranty Tesla adds to it's used cars now and it's previous CPO program. I personally don't agree with the extended warranty being a requirement or even a good deal for that matter. The amount of money you have to let them "hold" up front is a large chunk you could otherwise invest. The deductible is too high especially considering most of the repairs you have done would have cost you far less to do yourself with basic hand tools and YouTube as your guide. I'm just not a fan of extended warranties in general and if you look at how much money those insurance companies make it should be painfully apparent why I'm not a fan. If I can't afford to fix things that go wrong with it out-of-pocket I shouldn't be buying it in the first place. This are small financial considerations you can make that go a long ways towards not having to worry about money again. I digress.

FUSC is a non-issue to many but it's a major marketing point. This means that in the future it may help you sell your car when you can tell someone it includes FUSC. They may not realize how little it actually saves them but that's beside the point. They'll love how it sounds and it WILL help you sell your car if you choose to sell it private party... which you should. See my previous point about little things you can do if your goal is financial independence.

As for buying new... hell to the no! The depreciation hit you take on new cars (of any brand) is horrendous. Buying a new $100k car will almost guarantee a $50k loss over the next 4-5 years. That's $10k per year gone. If you value your enjoyment and keeping up with the Jones's to be $10k a year, fine. Personally, I will never have a net worth where I'm comfortable losing $10k per year per car in depreciation. Isn't worth the savings? You're crazy to think that a car that gets you maybe 5-10% better user experience on a day-to-day basis isn't worth saving $10k or more per year in depreciation.

Personally, I buy 4-5 year old cars that were well care for that have everything I want at a great price. I then try to drive those cars for many many years spreading the depreciation over more years which makes it easier to swallow. The P85D I'm driving now cost the previous owner nearly $150 when brand new. I bought it for about a third of that less than 5 years later. That means that the original owner LOST over $20k per year in vehicle depreciation. That's a hard number not some made up guess we're talking about. The idea that some are willing to sign up for a loss of $10k-$20k per year in vehicle depreciation is mind boggling to me. Tell me more about how good of a deal that $7,500 tax credit was to that person. ROFL This car I bought is incredible and is 90% of the car that a brand new Model S Performance would be at a fraction of what the price would be (especially last year when I bought it) so it's not just a "little" more for the new bits you mentioned. I also got a full bumper-to-bumper warranty from Tesla.

I'm getting off on a bit of a tangent here but too many Americans make the mistake of buying the most car they can afford monthly which is the absolute worst thing you can do if you're concerned about your financial position in life. Being as it will be the first or second largest purchase people make in their lives they need to get smarter about it.
Agreed 100%. I do the exact same thing - never buy a car brand new - the depreciation hit is just insane. I got my 2016 Model S75D 4 months ago with every option (other than the upgraded sound system) and FUSC, 4 year/50K miles new warranty from Tesla with only 16K miles and it cost half of what the first owner paid for it. The car is in amazing condition - it still has the new car leather smell.

I deliberately "gave up" on a newer MCU/AP as those cars were easily $15K more and were not worth it in my opinion for the incremental improvement.

Good info

Even used these cars are expensive. I picked up my (nearly loaded) 2013 P85+ about 41 months ago at half the cost it was when new and it has STILL lost about $10K/year. It was a lot less than the first three years but still a lot in "real dollars". Having said all that, the car is paid for and even through I would love a new one, the delta of that new one to what I am driving now just isn't nearly compelling enough. I admit a Model S refresh might go a long way toward convincing me as a "car guy" (still not a wise move financially).

I also agree that most of the recent repairs I've had done under the CPO warranty could have been done DIY by me.

We have a second car that I am always considering replacing, but given that it is also paid for any replacement needs to be "compelling" especially as my wife and I start to approach retirement.

p.s. feel free to quite this post back to me when I suddenly let "car guy" me overrun "Dave Ramsey" me and buy a Model 3 Perf!

Even used these cars are expensive. I picked up my (nearly loaded) 2013 P85+ about 41 months ago at half the cost it was when new and it has STILL lost about $10K/year. It was a lot less than the first three years but still a lot in "real dollars". Having said all that, the car is paid for and even through I would love a new one, the delta of that new one to what I am driving now just isn't nearly compelling enough. I admit a Model S refresh might go a long way toward convincing me as a "car guy" (still not a wise move financially).

I also agree that most of the recent repairs I've had done under the CPO warranty could have been done DIY by me.

We have a second car that I am always considering replacing, but given that it is also paid for any replacement needs to be "compelling" especially as my wife and I start to approach retirement.

p.s. feel free to quite this post back to me when I suddenly let "car guy" me overrun "Dave Ramsey" me and buy a Model 3 Perf!

I have only made money on one vehicle. Bought a 17’ Toyota Tundra from a dealer for 48. Kept it for a year then traded it in for $49k

I am also curious if EVs will just be 8-10 year cars like tv’s or other electronics.

I doubt that Teslas will be 8-10 year cars. Leaf - maybe.
I have a 2015 that I bought new. Buying new does have a simplicity advantage. I didn't have to shop around for a well kept car. And of course, there were few to no used Teslas then. If you keep a long time, particularly in a low interest rate environment, the cost isn't that bad.

I have 80k miles. I have had zero costs that an extended warranty would have helped with (like I have had tires and the 12V battery).

Was tempted by extended warranty but since I don't do regular service, I could not do it.

Agreed 100%. I do the exact same thing - never buy a car brand new - the depreciation hit is just insane. I got my 2016 Model S75D 4 months ago with every option (other than the upgraded sound system) and FUSC, 4 year/50K miles new warranty from Tesla with only 16K miles and it cost half of what the first owner paid for it. The car is in amazing condition - it still has the new car leather smell.

I deliberately "gave up" on a newer MCU/AP as those cars were easily $15K more and were not worth it in my opinion for the incremental improvement.

You paid $63K USD for a used 2016 S75D. Sorry that isn't that great a deal. What someone originally paid means absolutely nothing.

You could get a brand new S for $78K USD ($2K USA Tax Break), with everything, including FUSC and Premium Audio.
It's also a much better car. New Suspension, Raven, Bigger Battery than yours, 373 miles range, New MCU, New HW3.

So, my mind you didn't save anything, you just got way less car, for arguably to much money.

Here is another way to look at it.

For simplicity sake lets say you keep your 2016 for 3 years. You'd be driving a 6 year old car by the end.

That comes to $21K / year to own.

Buy a new Model S at let's even say $90k with some extra goodies. And you keep it for the same 6 years (the same oldest you'd want to drive in).

That comes to $15K / year to own. And you had a newer/better car for the first 3 years.

How are you saving buying used again?

Last edited:
You paid $63K USD for a used 2016 S75D. Sorry that isn't that great a deal. What someone originally paid means absolutely nothing.

You could get a brand new S for $78K USD ($2K USA Tax Break), with everything, including FUSC and Premium Audio.
It's also a much better car. New Suspension, Raven, Bigger Battery than yours, 373 miles range, New MCU, New HW3.

So, my mind you didn't save anything, you just got way less car, for arguably to much money.
$63K USD? Where did you get that?

In 2016 my car cost $130K CAD ($100K USD). 3 years later, I paid $56K USD ($73.6K CAD).

How can you compare a Model S price from 3 years ago with a brand new Model S price? In the Tesla world, that makes zero sense. For example, you can get a brand new Long Range (not standard range which would be the equivalent of mine 3 years ago) for $91K USD. That's $9K less compared to 3 years ago and that too for a Long Range model.

Even in the 4 months since I got mine, prices have dropped on the used Model S's by $5K CAD in Canada.

$63K USD? Where did you get that?

In 2016 my car cost $130K CAD ($100K USD). 3 years later, I paid $56K USD ($73.6K CAD).

How can you compare a Model S price from 3 years ago with a brand new Model S price? In the Tesla world, that makes zero sense. For example, you can get a brand new Long Range (not standard range which would be the equivalent of mine 3 years ago) for $91K USD. That's $9K less compared to 3 years ago and that too for a Long Range model.

Even in the 4 months since I got mine, prices have dropped on the used Model S's by $5K CAD in Canada.

You’re link in your signature said you paid $83K CAD which is $63K USD.

My whole point is what it was 3 years ago is completely meaningless. What do you get per dollar today is all that matters.

You get more car that will last 3 years longer by buying new.

Last edited:
@Roush Once you experience a Tesla, there's no going back to an ICE vehicle. You will be completely and utterly spoiled for life.

That is complete nonsense. The amount of delusion some people have is insane. I was there, too a while ago.

To the op: Sold Model S, bought an Audi A5. Enjoying Apple car play, nicely designed virtual cockpit, quality interior with top notch materials, range. Like, just 2 weeks ago I got 720km of range out of my gas tank. Don’t need to worry about battery drain, weather, charging times.

Things I miss: acceleration and better mobile app conectivity. Audi mobile app sucks. Free charging was also nice, but fast (minutes) charging is way better, even if more expensive.

Yes I have driven both. I much prefer the BMW for what it is.
Well They are completely different cars. I’m coming from my ‘12 P85 to the 3P. I really like the 3, a little too much! Only had it a couple of weeks but it makes the S sad. I always liked my S & autocrossed it for 6+ years. I always matched the M3’s around here. The P3 is amazing compared to the S, I can only imagine it’s going to be nuts compared to the M3’s!

Came to Tesla in 2015 to a S 85D fully loaded. I tell people how lucky I’ve been to own and drive some great cars.
BMW 3, 5, and 7 series. Porsche 911 Carrera and Carrera 4S.
But the S is the best all around driving car.
My wife has a 3 (now one year old)
Sold my S in early November (4 1/2 years 89k miles) and ordered a new S LR on 11/11.
Hoping for delivery any day.
Reason for the sale/purchase was longer range (373 vs 260) and CA hov stickers.
Downside of Tesla’s is I don’t think the economics are favorable. New car costs $17k less than the 2015.
Upside - joy of driving never ends. (But I’ve enjoyed driving for 42 years). Handles great! Tech is great (mostly). Never getting gas. Day to day driving I only charge at night. Road trips (2/month) need a minor planning.

Overall - it’s both fun and cool!