Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Selling Tesla to Online retailers, when do you remove car from account

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right when you hand over the key cards. Who cares when you pay off the loan, the bank doesn't know or care who has access to the car itself.

I guess I am just paranoid that some funky stuff might happen and I lose access to the car lol. However, now that I think about it, the car will legally to me and they won't to get the title unless they pay it off anyways.

I guess I am just paranoid that some funky stuff might happen and I lose access to the car lol. However, now that I think about it, the car will legally to me and they won't to get the title unless they pay it off anyways.
I understand being paranoid. But if you're handing over the key cards, you have paperwork with a legal agreement that they're purchasing they car.

Keeping the car linked to your Tesla account only exposes you to unneeded risk.

My friend recently did this, and within 2 days of handing over the car, the new buyer purchased a month of FSD beta @ $199. And it was of course billed to her.

Have fun untangling that, or any Supercharger fees that happen from the person you handed over the key cards to.

Reactions: jjrandorin
I understand being paranoid. But if you're handing over the key cards, you have paperwork with a legal agreement that they're purchasing they car.

Keeping the car linked to your Tesla account only exposes you to unneeded risk.

My friend recently did this, and within 2 days of handing over the car, the new buyer purchased a month of FSD beta @ $199. And it was of course billed to her.

Have fun untangling that, or any Supercharger fees that happen from the person you handed over the key cards to.

Couldn't she just remove her credit card from her account? I guess that is not feasible if the owner has more than one Teslas and need to use the card for purchases from the other.