Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
QTA levels for today

1699281966124.png

11/10

1699279528113.png

11/17

1699279565154.png

1699281190013.png

The market had a huge rally last week and might need a breather this week. How do you guys feel about my 230CC for Friday? Part of my problem is that I won't be able to watch the SP tomorrow. I could roll them now to 240 next week, but that might not be safe either? Obviously my preference is that they just expire this week.

The market had a huge rally last week and might need a breather this week. How do you guys feel about my 230CC for Friday? Part of my problem is that I won't be able to watch the SP tomorrow. I could roll them now to 240 next week, but that might not be safe either? Obviously my preference is that they just expire this week.
Well, last week 220 was the line in the sand, and we ended JUST below…not even the price of the LID on a cup of joe…this week that line is $225, so hopefully, you got some nice premium, but it may swing around. Personally, even IF we went above $230 between today and Mid Weds, I’d still be confident in $230 not being called away 11/10..Maybe buy another upside call on the next pull back ~ 5-7$ out for some little coin?

Last edited:
This brings up different strategies. I start at 0.1 when I sell. So there is very little risk of it ever going in the money. If you are selling options that you are willing to close at 0.1, that means you started with a higher risk premium. I broke my rule on Wednesday when he SP didn't seem to be doing anything during the FOMC meeting, and I sold 230 calls for Friday for 0.43 that were around 15% OTM. Now they are significantly in the red, only 5% away, and I might have to roll them if the SP continues to climb.
I should add this to my thumbrules.

- Sit out during times of expected large volatility like Delivery (quarter end), ER, Company meeting, product reveal, AI day and now FOMC meeting.

230 seems very distant right now, but a bit of good news and it’s only +~4%

But I’m chill with it from here, with my roll strategy in place if needed

I should add this to my thumbrules.

- Sit out during times of expected large volatility like Delivery (quarter end), ER, Company meeting, product reveal, AI day and now FOMC meeting.

100% this! I'd add volatile/price-discovery days to the mix too.

Around the peak this morning I STC all +C LEAPS to lock in gains, and on the dip when SP held I re-BTO them nicely cheaper and BTC -C230 for a mix of gains to be safe. Looking to STO -C235 on next bump once trend is a bit more clear.

TSLA is in a volatile spot, not a good time to make big bets for my taste. I'm waiting to see how we close today and watching tomorrow's trading range before choosing new covered calls.

Below $218: Skewed bearish
Above $226: Skewed bullish

My current thumb rule is to wait till the SP is closer. If I had 230 CC, I'd look for break of 226 level (where it got rejected again today) before rolling.

I currently have 240 CC, I'd consider rolling if SP breaks 237.

I've got 230 cc for this Friday and I'm feeling good about them. My version of feeling good is mostly the feeling that if we dart towards that share price then I'll roll 1 or many weeks to get the strike up to 250 or 260, and I think that's easily doable.

Meanwhile I've added 205 strike puts for this week. That gets me into a 205 / 230 strangle and I'm feeling good about that. If I'm really lucky then the puts will be ITM at expiration on Friday and I'll get a second blob of shares for selling cc against.

I'll be waiting for tomorrow (soonest) before selling another batch of puts. If I do sell another batch of puts they will be for a week from Friday. Or I'll consider BPS for this week expiration.

Tesla is doing the up, then down, then up dance today. Seeing how it bounce last week it's hard to predict if it will stop at 230 or hit 210. Just one big piece of positive news will pump the stock either way as it seem.

Still sitting on my AAPL Puts till the Tesla's dust settles.

DI003 - have you added to your boatloads of AAPL Puts with today bounce?

Reactions: Nick-m