Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just bought 25 170p 24/11 AAPL for 0.40
Had made a 0.80 profit closing my sold puts on AAPL too early and shorting 5 DTE.

Hope this trade will be blessed by the gods of the charts.

What is your exit point on bought puts? Do you set your exit point right away or you wait for a specific SP to hit and then close?
AAPL below 165 or above 182.5 is my exit.

Excuse me people, this isn't the AAPL Options Thread.

This is the Vinfast VFS Options Thread. I've just shorted this terrible 15 billion dollar market cap company for the 3rd time. Over 130% return from the first two, probably gonna end up over 200% return after a few more months.
Did you miss a zero? Shouldn’t that read over 1300% and 2000% respectively. I mean, when did you start, last week?

• Funny
Reactions: ZeApelido
Excuse me people, this isn't the AAPL Options Thread.

This is the Vinfast VFS Options Thread. I've just shorted this terrible 15 billion dollar market cap company for the 3rd time. Over 130% return from the first two, probably gonna end up over 200% return after a few more months.
On various TMC threads, successive posts sometimes create ambiguous references (like, which stock are we talking about shorting now???) especially if one is not a reply to a specific post.

Examples outside of TSLA can be very useful, so long as it's clear for the simpletons among us which underlying traded equity is being referred to in each post, lest I misunderstand and buy, sell, short, or strangle the wrong thingy.

Guess those selling weekly call at 226 /230 should feel some relieve now as those numbers from China and recent news does not have any real impact to SP. Seem like a flat week or maybe downward toward 210 this week.

Quick question - if you sell weekly call at 230. Do you just let it expire or close them out by Friday? Dumb me think if you just let it expired out of money you get the full credit, buying it back to less that credit but get assurance you won't be assigned, since that could still happen??

Reactions: tivoboy
Quick question - if you sell weekly call at 230. Do you just let it expire or close them out by Friday? Dumb me think if you just let it expired out of money you get the full credit, buying it back to less that credit but get assurance you won't be assigned, since that could still happen??
not-advice
I always close my DOTM options before expiration. Even if I'm paying .02 to do so - if they go to expiration, there is always a small possibility of after hours assignment. When DOTM that possibility is close enough to zero that I'm giving up .02 and I know it. But I'm also removing the risk that it happens.

More commonly I might see .10 the day before expiration and then its a no-brainer for me. Take the early close and if the share price snaps back on day of expiration, then I'm already out of the position and I can open a replacement position on Friday instead of waiting for Monday (if that's what I want to do). The early close creates an option for me that waiting for expiration doesn't provide.

The other half of my rationale is that there is so little money left to earn I don't want to wait. Of course if I started so far OTM that I opened for .10, then closing for .02 is a reasonably large chunk of the money I could earn, so letting that go to expiration is much more likely.

not-advice
I always close my DOTM options before expiration. Even if I'm paying .02 to do so - if they go to expiration, there is always a small possibility of after hours assignment. When DOTM that possibility is close enough to zero that I'm giving up .02 and I know it. But I'm also removing the risk that it happens.

More commonly I might see .10 the day before expiration and then its a no-brainer for me. Take the early close and if the share price snaps back on day of expiration, then I'm already out of the position and I can open a replacement position on Friday instead of waiting for Monday (if that's what I want to do). The early close creates an option for me that waiting for expiration doesn't provide.

The other half of my rationale is that there is so little money left to earn I don't want to wait. Of course if I started so far OTM that I opened for .10, then closing for .02 is a reasonably large chunk of the money I could earn, so letting that go to expiration is much more likely.
Thanks Adiggs. Learning from other experiences are always the best. So far I've seen only big dog and team talking about dollar credit, not really cent. Guess it's always safer to play a little out of the money then getting close to the flames. Dog like me don't have much furs to burns as you can see ;)

Did you miss a zero? Shouldn’t that read over 1300% and 2000% respectively. I mean, when did you start, last week?

The options chain was FUBAR until the stock 'settled' around $17. The price of $10 Mar 2024 puts was higher before from insane volatility / no liquidity, but then I bought them for just over $2. They're worth $6 right now so would have been a 200% return if I just held onto them the entire time.

Thanks Adiggs. Learning from other experiences are always the best. So far I've seen only big dog and team talking about dollar credit, not really cent. Guess it's always safer to play a little out of the money then getting close to the flames. Dog like me don't have much furs to burns as you can see ;)
A big part of my decision making around this includes the absolute amount of money remaining to earn. If I opened a $2k position ($2k credit received), and now I'm at .10 and have $120 left to earn, how badly do I want to keep this position open to earn that last $120? This is a pretty common circumstance I find myself in?

The risk of going ITM from there is minimal, but I've also got an opportunity cost from staying in. If I can close on Thursday, then I can open a replacement position on Friday (using my personal trading rules - one of them is "close today, open tomorrow" (don't do both on the same day with winning positions)).

Plenty of times where I didn't close on Thursday and then had to wait through most all of Friday before I had an equally good close, and then needed to wait for Monday for the new position. Or worse - had a good close on Tuesday, didn't take it, and got to sweat out the rest of the week to see if I'd need to roll; if I'd taken the good close then I'd have opened a replacement position on Wed or Thurs.

Its really this dynamic - I've earned most of what there is to earn, and the early close frees up the resources to back the next position - that drives my personal trading rule - only let positions go to expiration that I want have assigned. Even in those latter situations I'm more likely to positively close the option and buy (sell) the shares if what I really want is to buy (sell) the shares. I'll pay .10 to proactively make that happen, rather than waiting for expiration processes over the weekend to handle it for me.

A big part of my decision making around this includes the absolute amount of money remaining to earn. If I opened a $2k position ($2k credit received), and now I'm at .10 and have $120 left to earn, how badly do I want to keep this position open to earn that last $120? This is a pretty common circumstance I find myself in?

The risk of going ITM from there is minimal, but I've also got an opportunity cost from staying in. If I can close on Thursday, then I can open a replacement position on Friday (using my personal trading rules - one of them is "close today, open tomorrow" (don't do both on the same day with winning positions)).

Plenty of times where I didn't close on Thursday and then had to wait through most all of Friday before I had an equally good close, and then needed to wait for Monday for the new position. Or worse - had a good close on Tuesday, didn't take it, and got to sweat out the rest of the week to see if I'd need to roll; if I'd taken the good close then I'd have opened a replacement position on Wed or Thurs.

Its really this dynamic - I've earned most of what there is to earn, and the early close frees up the resources to back the next position - that drives my personal trading rule - only let positions go to expiration that I want have assigned. Even in those latter situations I'm more likely to positively close the option and buy (sell) the shares if what I really want is to buy (sell) the shares. I'll pay .10 to proactively make that happen, rather than waiting for expiration processes over the weekend to handle it for me.
Thanks adiggs. Since you started the thread 3 years ago much has happen since then. I heard option credit spread was a thing back then but not now.

If you were to list the top 3 things you have gathered over those years would you mind sharing them with us? Are you still spending more or less hour making the incomes? Sorry for being a nosy dog.

Side note, AAPL is trying to break that 185.5 today. Getting close. 15minutes candle. Tesla SP at 221.

1699384308583.png