Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki Selling TSLA Options - Be the House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been wrong before with "it can't go that low..." But without a Macro crash, I don't see Tesla doing 1.8M vehicles, Cyber deliveries starting, and an SP of 170. So the question really becomes what will the markets do over the next 1-3 months?

Additional food for thought: the $245-265 area is also a huge volume area where lots of people may look to trim/bail/tax harvest/etc and such areas can provide formidable resistance to churn through absent any real meaningful catalyst. Will there be more buyers than sellers is the question.

Tricky area especially this week with CPI on Tuesday and FOMC on Wednesday 👀

IMG_4411.jpeg

Reposting in case my question got lost in pile yesterday:

When TSLA is expected to rise, what's better for capturing upside, sold puts (-P) or bought calls (+C)?
And any NFA suggestions for strike/DTE on either?
I can give you one example. When SP was around $110 on Dec 28 2022, I bought ATM LEAPS and sold DITM puts. Both with Jan2025 expiration. Both netted around 10k per contract. I guess the LEAPS becomes really advantageous if the SP goes for another +50% run.

Attachments

• IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    170 KB · Views: 14
I've been wrong before with "it can't go that low..." But without a Macro crash, I don't see Tesla doing 1.8M vehicles, Cyber deliveries starting, and an SP of 170. So the question really becomes what will the markets do over the next 1-3 months?

I am not following your post. Are you saying you don't see the SP going to $170 but you don't think Tesla will hit this years guidance?

Additional food for thought: the $245-265 area is also a huge volume area where lots of people may look to trim/bail/tax harvest/etc and such areas can provide formidable resistance to churn through absent any real meaningful catalyst. Will there be more buyers than sellers is the question.

Tricky area especially this week with CPI on Tuesday and FOMC on Wednesday 👀

View attachment 998073
I like this chart. Where did you get it?

Reactions: DaBooster
I can give you one example. When SP was around $110 on Dec 28 2022, I bought ATM LEAPS and sold DITM puts. Both with Jan2025 expiration. Both netted around 10k per contract. I guess the LEAPS becomes really advantageous if the SP goes for another +50% run.

Thank you. So would equivalent today be:

BTO +C240 1/16/2026 @$80
STO -P340 1/16/2026 @$118

Obviously since they are very directional bets, safer to consider them once we cleanly break and close above the DTL (maybe above $270 area is enough?). Otherwise we may tag $250-$260 and dump toward $210, getting stuck in the bullish contracts.

If we do tag and fail, would a modified inverse on the same theme be valid for the ride down, something like:

STO -C280 1/16/2026 @$72
BTO +P220 1/16/2026 @$45

Thank you. So would equivalent today be:

BTO +C240 1/16/2026 @$80
STO -P340 1/16/2026 @$118

Obviously since they are very directional bets, safer to consider them once we cleanly break and close above the DTL (maybe above $270 area is enough?). Otherwise we may tag $250-$260 and dump toward $210, getting stuck in the bullish contracts.

If we do tag and fail, would a modified inverse on the same theme be valid for the ride down, something like:

STO -C280 1/16/2026 @$72
BTO +P220 1/16/2026 @$45
I really do not understand your reasoning. You would better make such a unidirectional -P/+C move at a bottom, so might the direction of the next move be down unexpectedly, such a trade is a no-braine, near the “bottom”. The second example I would make that a short-term-one(march2024 or so) in the same situation, as a first move while going down, but get out before a 20% loss.

Reactions: Max Plaid
I really do not understand your reasoning. You would better make such a unidirectional -P/+C move at a bottom, so might the direction of the next move be down unexpectedly, such a trade is a no-braine, near the “bottom”. The second example I would make that a short-term-one(march2024 or so) in the same situation, as a first move while going down, but get out before a 20% loss.

Agreed. This is just conversation about making a directional bet if one chooses to. And if we get confirmation that we are about to lift off from here (i.e., $270 to $313+, etc) then this is like a “bottom” too, until the new run stalls and shows signs of reversal back down. All cautions taken of course.

Reactions: SpeedyEddy